Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Problems with Hollywood.com/Moviefone

Author Topic: Problems with Hollywood.com/Moviefone
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do theaters often have the wrong movies and/or showtimes listed with Hollywood.com and Moviefone?

I cite the Princeton Garden Theatre in NJ. Hollywood.com has that theater's schedule this week as Italian for Beginners/Monster's Ball. Moviefone has the schedule as Italian for Beginners/Monsoon Wedding. I phoned the theater to get the straight story: Italian for Beginners/Monsoon Wedding.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some experience with moviefone and showtimes...
A few years ago, I was managing a sub-run on the opening weekend of Titanic. Moviefone advertised that we had two prints of Titanic. We were flooded with people coming to see Titanic. Many of them ended up going down the street to the 18 screen that had it... but a good portion didn't. Especially because the 18 screen was selling out its shows anyway.

Before that theater closed, it averaged 400 people on a Saturday. That day, it did more than 1300. It killed the staff. They were not used to customers.

I have to say though.. Once Moviefone integrated it's computer into the box office system, things got much better. That kind of problem went away because it updated the schedule fairly often. But Fandango has been much better. It has been much more reliable. The moviefone system relied on a dial up connection where Fandango has a connection into the companies intranet so it updates faster... plus there are no more annoying MFI codes for the managers to forget about entering when they do bookings.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have problems with NowShowing.com getting our films right for the Skyline drive-in. Even when I specifically tell them which movie in the double feature is showing first, they always get it wrong.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken -- there's an easy way to fix that problem: just give them the titles in the incorrect order. If they really "always" get it wrong, then it should work out fine.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that one time and then they said we were open 7 days a week when we only operate Fri-Sat-Sun!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo! always screws up my showtimes. For instance ... my entire run of Atlantis ... they showed the times as a second print of Jurassic Park 3. I wish they would just take off my listing ... so I could push all my customers to cinemark.com for their showtime info. Then the customer doesn't seem to understand that Yahoo! can be wrong. Plus, there's no way to contact them and let them know that they are wrong. I tried the feedback link on the site ... but no response.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 04:22 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Moviephone, we played X-men for well over a year...

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 03:31 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like ken I've had my fair share of problems with both showtime.com and yahoo.com. It seems they are set up with the idea that a movie theatre is only suppose to run one feature per screen. I run two movies 99% of the time, but you guessed it, they only put one for my theatre. I've gone as far as always putting on my faxes, WE ARE RUNNING TWO MOVIES, SO PLEASE LIST THEM BOTH, and they don't. The only way I seem to get results is to call and tell them get it right or I will stop sending my attractions. Now we have to worry about online as well as the papers!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 08:08 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem with newspaper showtimes; in the separate "movie-clock" area, they would print incorrect times. Because of that, we finally told them to not put our times there; we would do it ourselves in the regular ads.

They refused, saying it was important for readers to see all times in one place, and besides, "it's a free service." Turns out, they sell advertising next to the movie clock at a premium. They didn't want most of the movie clock to say; "See ads for showtimes" because readers might stop looking at the movie clock (and the ads next to it.) So they put in a line that says, "Incorrect times may be the result of last minute changes by the theater." What a crock!

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it only took AMC three days to erase any mention of GCC on Yahoo, and put their name in front of all the theatres. So they must have pull to get things done

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,
Are you a first run theatre? We can't split our one-screen with more than one movie unless it is more than 4 weeks old and neither of the movies is doing very well.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting this back on topic:

Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ was going to drop A Beautiful Mind last Friday (3/29). That's how it was listed on the show schedule sent to Hollywood.com. After A Beautiful Mind had its big wins on Oscar Night people came out to see it Monday and Tuesday. The theater makes a last-minute change and A Beautiful Mind is held over at least 1 more week (albeit in a double-up). Moviefone changes its listing accordingly. Does Hollywood.com change its listing? NO!

The Home News Tribune in East Brunswick NJ runs the wrong listing with this "NOTICE TO READERS": "Movie showtimes are based on information provided by theater owners." What a crock of Reading never deals with the Home News Tribune -- because the newspaper purchases its movie listings from Hollywood.com!

Don't even think about complaining to the newspaper -- the editors think they know it all and the film critic is a bluenose who hates mainstream movies.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's happened again -- and yes, it involves the Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ.

For the coming week Hollywood.com says Reading is getting a 2nd print of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The only theater I know of playing 2 prints of Greek Wedding is the Village East in Manhattan. Moviefone correctly lists Reading as opening The Four Feathers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: