Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The problems of Booth personel continues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The problems of Booth personel continues
Darren Solomon
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Darren Solomon   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Solomon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you all followed the last post about "Being a Projectionist isn't all what its cracked up to be"?

There have been ongoing problems between another Projectionist, who I will call Joe, and myself. Joe and I are constantly butting heads. I give him a task to do and he asks me why I didn’t do it. He thinks he can do a better job at being the Head Projectionist than I can. Well, he is getting his chance. First, a few weeks ago my MD comes to me and informs me that he had heard about the problems between me and Joe and told me that if I had any problems with anyone in the booth or in management to put it in writing and give it to him. So I did. And he asks all the other projectionists the same thing. Then a couple of days ago I am working for another projectionist (only 3 hours of his 6 hour shift),a Manager asked me to pull the coins from the lobby video games and because my knee is bothering me and I don’t think I will be able to do it so I say, “No, sorry not this time, can you ask someone else.” Well everyone else was busy and I was the only person left and he was the only manager on duty, and so on…I still could not do it. So he wrote me up. Said I was being insubordinate and recommended that I be either suspended or possibly terminated. The next day the MD comes to me and asks me what happened. I told him my side of the story and he says okay and doens't say much about the incident or even read the write up and then onto the next topic, he wants to talk to Joe and I about something. He has Joe and I together and tells us that Joe is being promoted to Head Projectionist and I have to teach him everything I know. He says that they want 2 Head Projectionists so if one is not reachable the other is. I think there is more to it. There have been ongoing problems and I wanted Joe out of the booth and now I am forced to work with him on an equal level. Since Joe and I are always butting heads and causing problems with each other and he thinks he can do a better job than me, maybe management is doing this to try to weed out the weaker person? Or maybe they are forcing us to get along and work together. I know if I go, 2 other people will follow me and if he goes it will be just him. I really think management has an ulterior motive to making this decision. What do you guys think? Sorry, it always seems to be bad news from me, but, the soap opera just doesn't go away......

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-19-2002 11:46 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, allow me to say sorry about what is going on. But you know what is really up here. You are bieng eliminated. Plain and simple. If you really want to keep working there, I suggest taking a more proactive approach to the situation. Talk to the DM or GM or whatever, and very kindly and politely state to them that you would like to improve your performance and ask them to point out what areas of improvement they would like you to make. Do so in earnest, be honest, and mean it. Otherwise they will see right through you.

Take whatever they say with a grain of salt, remember they have others to answer to as well. They are just doing what they feel is in the best interest of the company, and very rarely will they have any hidden agenda that plays into any personal conspiracy. Your co-worker may have the agenda, and may be very good at interpersonal relationships with his superiors. Sometimes the best qualified do not get all the goodies. Superiors like to have thier egos scratched from time to time, but dont cross the line into but kissing. Make it a good schmooze.

If you dont want to continue there, just start looking for other work, BUT DONT TELL THEM THIS. Most employers will can you at the first sign of your dissatisfaction with your work. YOu become less employable if you get fired.

In any way, just dont take things personally. I have been through this, and it makes you very angry. Just remember to breath.

Dave

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 04:26 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren

From someone who was also screwed by a large company. In my professional career in the USAF, civilian aviation maintenance and other civilian employment, I have seen time and time again where the least qualified person is promoted because of politics and the ability to kiss up! Many people that I have known in both the civilian and military have been victims of this.

What I do suggest is that you not give away your knowledge for free! Make sure that you are well compensated for your knowledge! I also suggest that you keep a log of all the work you do and make sure it is documented so that you can use it for future resume material! From what it sounds like, they are going to terminate you. If you do decide to train your counterpart, then keep a military style training log that you, the trainee and managment sign.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a booth manager I can assure you that if you were my employess you would both be gone. Constantly being in a fued that nobody wants to back down from does not help at all, regardless of who is right or wrong. As far as being a head projectionist, do you have the authority to punish people? If not do not expect people to carry out your task to every little detail. You can not blame a manager for writing you up for not doing what they asked. If your knee was that bad they are probably wondering what you are doing at work in the first place. I myself do not like the idea of a head projectionist. I like for everyone to be equal. If one messes up I punish more than that one person, sometimes everyone else except for that person. Sorry if this stings but I am pretty sure the axe is coming down on you. I would be careful.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 07:26 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel wrote,"As far as being a head projectionist, do you have the authority to punish people? If not do not expect people to carry out your task to every little detail. "

Keep that negative re-enforcement coming on! Employees that are under that kind of pressure generally do not enjoy their jobs and under perform... doing just enough not to get fired. That coupled with typically low theater wages, I would be suprised if you have anybody still working under you that can stand you.

"If one messes up I punish more than that one person, sometimes everyone else except for that person. "

Come on, we are not in third grade anymore. That kind of attitude could give any employee that you punished for no reason (or his coworker's screw-up) a real heck of a case against you with your companies HR department. Be careful.

I am not targeting you Manuel, just the management style you are supporting. It generally does not produce good results.

At the theater I work at, we give employees that do a good job a reward. Be it a projectionist single handedly changing the oil in all 18 screens or a concessionist taking the extra step to satisfy a customer. (Movie pass trade-outs seem to work well in my area with the local restraunts).

All I am saying is be a little more creative and you will have happier employees.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with everyone. They are forcing you out. Most companies, especially the larger chains, don't really like confrontation, and will be passive-aggressive with you. They will make you WANT to leave. Sounds like they are doing a good job of it so far. Stick in there, bite your tongue, and just hope for the best. If you are fighting with someone, just let them do what they are going to do, and let them bury themselves. It is hard to just keep your mouth shut and take, but it is the best thing if you want to keep your job.

I was in a similar situation with a co-worker that I just couldn't get along with. I just shut my mouth and dealt with it, and it wasn't fun. But, as the old saying goes, You do what you gotta do.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Darren Solomon
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Darren Solomon   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Solomon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your feedback. I would like to ask my DM if they plan on letting me go once I train the new head projectionist all the responsibilities that I have. Or as Neil says, bite my tongue and wait if I want to keep my job. But its also better to quit my job before they fire me. It will look better that way. But don't they need to fire me for a better reason? As for my knee hurting one day, its because my age, and because of all the thursday night print moving I have to do. We have another older projectionist that has back problems and he's still working for us. The managers know that this older projectionist only works mornings and only 4 days a week and won't put up with the crap managers would give him, so he would just walk out. But this projectionist is like a retiree he could quit if he wanted to almost anytime. Anyway, as this moves forward I'll have to see how the other projectionist react to a 2nd head projectionist and maybe this new head projectionist will perform poorly and I will still keep my job. Its a little early to see the outcome of all this.
Thanks
Darren Solomon

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Occasionally you have to use disicpline to get the results you want.

Now, Manuel's methods of discilining the entire staff for one persons screw up does, on it face, seem draconian. However, if it is done right, it actually is more effective than simply punishing the offender and, if done right, will actually improve teamwork. This is actually one of the methods military DI's use in recruit training to teach recruits that their actions have consequences beyond themselves.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 03:27 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I agree.

This is a different type of situation than the military. I still think that better positive re-enforcement is key. Give the employees a reason to do a good job and they will aspire to do better.

Instead of taking away privelages or assigning punishment to everybody, reward those that are doing a good job.

If punishment is necessary, then deal with only that person. Dragging everybody else into an individual problem breeds resentment. Especially for the employees that did nothing wrong in the first place!

I understand the reasoning is the peer-pressure that is created, but when the average pay for an assistant theater manager / projectionist is less than $400/wk, the good employees that are getting the "group punishment" will just end up seeking a job elsewhere. There is no sense in taking grief for somebody else's mistakes AND getting marginally low pay.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-21-2002 05:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a chief projectionist that has the responsablity for the operation of the booth and the equipment in it "IE the buck stops here" meaning that also the blame for things gone wrong

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 04:06 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You have to use positive reinforcment where ever possible. However, many mistakes in the theatre can, and do, lead to consequences that effect the entire team.

Realize, this is one of the methods I use with my staff, and my employee turnover is the lowest of all departments in my building.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Head Projectionists? I don't think so. Remember the famous quote by President Andrew Jackson: "When two men ride on a horse, one man's got to ride behind."

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 07:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen two head projectionists twice. One theatre in Edinburgh tried this idea and it really didn't work at all. The younger guy just let the older, more experienced guy do all the work.
The Renfield Street Odeon, in Glasgow, used to have twin brothers who were, if I remember right, both chief operators. AFAIK that worked fine, but they were identical twins and had always worked together. Actually those two guys were/are something of a legend in these parts.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 11:06 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mike I am going to have to disagree with you. I don't believe that people should be rewarded just for doing their jobs. All that does is make the reward process meaningless. Should we start rewarding people for just showing up for work? If you don't believe in punishment, what do you do if a booth person ruins a print through carelessness? Do you ignore it and wait until they do something right so they can then be rewarded?
If an employee does their job correctly they get a positive review and a raise in their hourly pay at the usual time. Beyond that, I reward my employee in two areas: 1) When an employee goes above and beyond the call of duty. Something like volunteering to clean vomit off the bathroom floor or taking it upon themselves to help out a new co-worker. 2) If an employee constanty shows outstanding performance. If everything that they do is top notch, then they deserve to be rewarded. This way you are rewarding people for the right things and hopefully, encouraging others to do the same.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To many chiefs not enough indians.

Everyone must work together. From the managers to the booth trainee. Ultimatly The head theater manager is who you are reflecting your performance on. It is his theater and his responsability to maintain it.

If you are reflecting bad attitudes you are reflecting them on him. If you are doing a good job you may not get a pat on the back or a hey thanks for all your good work response. But as soon as you do something wrong or make a bad impresion it reflects on him and that's when you will hear it.

Your rewards will come at review time. But, your bad attitudes will get you the don't let the door hit you on the way out response.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: