Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » pioneers?

Author Topic: pioneers?
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:15 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in west.australia there is a group called the pioneers, a group whose members have been projecting constantly/full-time for atleast 20 years, i believe that they get together yearly to piss up /reminise.
do other countries or other OZ states have similar organizations?.
for many years i thought that it was a secret organization, until my ex chief(maybe future) wally holden told me abit about it.
maybe GLEN RICH (film-techer) might know abit more than me about it?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-18-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie Pioneers of America, or something like that. I might not have the name exactly correct. I poked around on the 'net, couldn't really find out much about it.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:48 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a group called something like "Fellowship of Motion Picture Pioneers" (FMPP) or something like that. They issue gold passcards to their members that some theatres, Cinemark included, accept..

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should have a film-tech group called "the gods of projection". Only Brad, the zues of all gods, gets to nominate members. No one knows gets to know who they are, and we secretly run the theater industry behind everyones backs. Taking large corporations down by bloody coup and massive air strikes and village pillaging!!!

Dave

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-18-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent some more time doing a google search on this. All I can find is the organization seems to be referred to by 2 different names: Motion Picture Pioneers of America, or The Foundation of Motion Picture Pioneers. Seems like most of the google references are press releases about industry people who have been appointed to it or are already members. It also seems to be affiliated with Will Rogers Hospital. Can't find a specific web page or any other data.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FMPP

FUTURE MOTION PICTURE PIONEERS

If you have been in the theatre business for over ten years, can prove it, AND get a current member to sponsor you - you can be a member. (OH YEAH - $50 annual membership fee. Basically you get a card that gets you in the movies for free.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave -
Out of respect to this site's founder, it's Zeus, not zues. And I just got a very funny visual of Brad in a white toga with a wreath around his head throwing lightning bolts down from the clouds.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-18-2002 09:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motion Picture Pioneer's was founded to help anyone who has worked in the Motion Picture Exibition Industry who is in need. Anyone who has worked in the "Exibition Industry" must have two members in good standing sign his application form to be presented for membership. They do work closely with the Will Rogers Hospital and the Burke Rehablilation Hospital here in the East as well as other hospital's and Rehab Center's across the country. There is a one time charge as far as I know and I have been a member since 1970. They take care of industry members who are in need and not necessarily a Pioneer. Retired members from the industry are sent a pass that is honored by most circuits for admitance to retired members. Bob Sunshine (The Sunshine Group)is the Excutive Director.

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:20 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, The Cinema Pioneers are also active in Queensland. I have never bothered to apply even though I have the required qualification of 20 years in the industry. Most of the get togethers are in Brisbane and Townsville is a long way from there. I belive some theatres will give a discount on the ticket price if you present the Pioneers card. Dreamworld on the Gold Coast used to offer a 10% discount on presentation of the card.

Only a couple of us would be eligable to apply from the cinema industry here in Townsville.

Michael.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 03:32 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AUST Cinema Pioners is AUST wide, it is madeup of people who have a genuine love of the industry. There are dinner meetings every month, and being a member gives you a free pass to every theatre in the country.

Hardly a once a year pissup!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: