Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Your carpet may be driving customers away

Author Topic: Your carpet may be driving customers away
Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post has been in the back of my mind for a while. Please excuse the rant and length of the post, but I'm friggin tired of going into theatres where the stench of the carpet is one of my major impressions. There is NO excuse for the moldy rotting condition of carpets in theatres. With the strength of some of the smells I expect employees and customers to start complaining publicly about "sick building syndrome."

I'm going to do a rare thing and target the local Regal theatres on this, because I suspect from other comments that it is a nationwide problem caused by a policy at the corporate level or circuitwide contract for carpet cleaning. To be fair, Regal is absolutely not the only theatre circuit with this problem.

I'll relate two stories about carpet cleaning, since they are instructive.

When I was new to managing, it was standard policy to shampoo carpets with a rotary shampooer. Touch ups were done with a hand shampooer. Over the course of a couple of years of doing this the carpet at my theatre began to stink. My DM instructed me to find a new carpet cleaner that was able to do "steam" extraction, and expect to pay a bare minimum of eight cents a square foot for proper cleaning. This was in 1974, so with inflation that would be over twenty-five cents a square foot in today's money.

The cleaner that won the bid had the HIGHEST price, fifteen cents a square foot. He won because of his comments and observations, and those have stuck with me to this day. After loosing a corner from the tack strips and examining the carpet and padding, his first comment was that the theatre had a top grade thick wool carpet with a jute backing, properly installed over padding, and that the carpet could easily last for forty or more years if properly maintained.

His second comment was a suggestion to rent rubber backed entry carpets to absorb all the water, mud, and salt from people walking in from the snow covered sidewalks, and rotate them as they became soaked and dirty. Unknown to me, there was a local service that provided these entry carpets inexpensively and exchanged them on a weekly basis.

His third comment started with the question "Do you leave shampoo on your hair and let it dry with the shampoo still on it?" The obvious answer effectively made his point that shampooing a carpet merely moved dirt from the surface downwards towards the backing, where the salt and sand could abrade the fibers.

The forth comment was a warning - never soak a jute backed carpet. It will stink and shrink, opening up seams that may not go back together.

The process that he used to clean the carpet was to overspray the spots with a garden sprayer, use a rotary shampooer on a section, then immediatly go over that same section with a "steam" hot water spray and extractor, then repeat using just the vaccuum part of the extractor.

The difference after the first cleaning was as apparent as the difference between night and day. The carpet fairly glowed, and smelled fresh. To this day, I am convinced that this is the best way to clean a dirty carpet. I've seen other methods, I've heard the schpeils about not getting a carpet wet, I've seen incompetent "steam" cleaners, and I've seen the shitty results of many fly-by-night outfits.

That brings me to the second story. I had moved to Miami and just taken over managing the 167th Street Theatre, an old Loew's house run by Wometco. The janitor, Armando, had worked at the theatre for about twenty years, and part of his responsibilities were keeping the carpet clean. Armando had only been supplied a rotary shampooer.

Armando and I did our first tour of the theatre to get acquainted. I noticed a stiffness to the lobby carpet and a dull white overcoat to the fibers, but didn't say anything. I then went into the auditoriums and happened to comment "This is smart, the aisle carpets in here are black." Armando replied, "No, I think they are dark red. They used to be lighter, but the carpet darkened with age."

I thumped my fingernail on the carpet and it was totally firm like linoleum, yet it had a sticky feel...

"Armando, you'll still get the same pay and I'm not upset, but I'm going to have a pro come in and clean the carpets from now on." The assistant mentioned that there had been a young man who had repeatedly come by, wanting to clean the carpets. He was called in, and he proudly showed his "dry carpet cleaning pads," claiming that they would quickly absorb all the dirt from our carpets without damaging them.

Being obnoxiously brash and positive, he agreed to a bet. We would do a test with me watching. He would clean a four by three foot area of aisle carpet with his pads. After that he would go over the same area with a portable extractor rented from a supermarket. If the water sucked up by the extractor was dirty, he would do the entire carpet with an extractor until the water came clean. In either case, if I was satisfied with his work, I'd recommend him for the carpet cleaning of all the Wometco theatres.

After dirtying about a half-dozen pads cleaning a small area of the aisle carpet, he pronounced it clean and started the extractor. The extracted water looked like Guinness Stout, black and foamy from the years of shampoo build-up. I smiled, and he readily agreed that he'd been sold a bill of goods on his cleaning pads.

He rented two extractors, and at the end of the last show of the night I let him start on the job. Nine hours later, when I returned, he was still there and had only worked his way through an aisle and a half in the large auditorium. His clothes were filthy and he looked like he was in shell shock.

Armando was there as well, doing his regular duties, but was in a panic. "I didn't know that this shampoo was so bad! All the other managers just kept telling me to shampoo more!" I had to assure him again that he wasn't in danger of losing his job, but that I expected things to be clean and would inspect with him regularly.

The carpet cleaner finished after the second full night of work. He was awarded the cleaning rights to the theatres, and he also got to clean the seats as well. The color of the aisle carpets? The large auditorium had standard red carpet. The smaller auditorium had blue-green.

These were extreme examples of what happens even in big circuits with good reputations, like the old Loews and Wometco. Corporate executives simply don't budget properly for purchase, maintenance, and replacement of carpets, which IMO has to be one of the most singularly stupid cost savings measures possible.

The trend in new construction has been to specify inexpensive glue-down synthetic carpet with poly backing. These carpets SHOULD be a simple matter to clean using extraction, since they shouldn't shrink and split seams. However, cost cutting is such that even these carpets are rarely cleaned, and when they are, the cleaning is done by a two cents per square foot low bidder with NO supervision.

I'll say it publicly. I estimate that 95% off all theatres have at least one area or auditorium that STINKS like from carpet dirt and mold. This is both because corporate demands the use of incompetant carpet cleaners, and because managers aren't willing to stay up all night, stand over carpet cleaners and say "NO, you can't do a single wand pass over that carpet and call it clean. You WILL prespray and do the job right, with a minimum of two passes over every inch of carpet."

Even when the brash young carpet cleaner got his wish to clean Wometco and expanded operations, I would check the work of his employees. If it wasn't done right, they came back and did it again until it was right. Both he and I wanted a quality job.

If you have control over this aspect of maintanence, you need to be as strict. People will not willingly patronize theatres that smell worse than their cat's litter box. I've lately found myself avoiding certain theatres for this reason alone.

Sorry for the rant, but it shouldn't have been needed.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post.....I have a customer that inherited a former U.A. location with upgraded facilities except the carpeting and old seats and he has 1/4 the business than the newer, more intelligent designed multiplex with carpeting limited to certain traffic areas...sometimes cinema owners eyes and noses ignore what the protential customer gets as a visual slap in the face and nose when they visit their location...and never return...Another rant, cheap wall drapery...with burlap the worst dirt and smell offenders. I have lost a few sales to some cinemas that desired to improve projection and sound when noted to them that they should spend money first in cleaning up what the public has to mire through....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we opened we spend $6,000 having our carpets, seats and the concrete around the seats steam-cleaned. We then brought back that company every 3 months. They weren't happy with the dirt they found when they returned, so we reached a deal with them. They come in every month to spot check and clean spilled areas. We supply their entire company with passes and get a substantial discount. Even after his last visit our carpet cleaner complained that the floor cleaner we were using behind the stand was setting stains in the carpet when tracked out on employees shoes. He had us place small rugs on each exit of the stand to cut down on tracking.

After a year, we even had the steam-cleaners in to steam-clean the sound-fold on the walls. It was a very visible difference and the rooms smelled better than they did before cleaning. They just vacuumed the walls and spot cleaned trouble areas.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness in this business.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Jerry!
I'm glad you brought that up. It is not only repulsive but also unhealthy to be in a place like that. On a couple of occasions when I lived back in the midwest I refused to go behind a screen as the crap from a couple of decades of blowing the floors was all back there! Thourghly disgusting!
Mark @ Home

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How true! I've seen sooo many theaters that positively reek. Alot of the smell does come from the carpet, but I also see the wall drapes can be just as bad. Filthy, smelly theaters are a turn off and results in lower business. Would you want to spend two hours sitting in one of these theaters?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-17-2002 07:17 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, Excellent post. This is where this forum can really make a difference. We all want "film done right" now we need " cleaning done right."

Thanks for the information.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extraction is the only way to properly clean a carpet. Everything else is just grinding in the crud and distributing it evenly. Carpet shampoos are formulated to temporarily "brighten" the look of the carpet, regardless of the cleaning method. Don't be fooled -- without extraction, the crud is still there.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: