Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » should infants be let in free? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: should infants be let in free?
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 06:43 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've read posts about crying babies but not with this twist. it is
the policy of my theater to let kids under 4 in for free (i think
they still have to be accompanied), the rationale being that they
can't appreciate the movie anyways and parents would be outraged at
having to pay (the cheaper kids' rate) for them.

if you ask me, people who are not there to watch the movie should
not be there. charging at least a kids' price for toddlers would
(i think) encourage parents to consider whether their toddler is
mature enough to get something out of a film, or just likely to
cause a disturbance. let's not discourage the use of babysitters!

this theater does get a fair share of kiddie movies that you could
almost excuse parents for taking their crybabies to. but parents
also bring them to much more adult movies as well.

i am not suggesting banning any age group, which i consider
discriminatory but many of you will no doubt advocate. i think
any judgment whether a film is suitable for someone has to be
made on a case-by-case basis. and letting little kids in free
discourages those judgments from being made.

i brought this issue to the attention of 2 managers, both of whom
couldn't conceive of charging admission for infants. am i just
overreacting to a recent bad experience? do other theaters have
similar policies? what do you folks think?

carl

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 09:22 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to say, "If it walks, it pays."

If crying babies are disturbing other patrons, managment just has to go to the parent and tell them to take the kid outside. You would think parents would do this themselves, but they don't. If it's a kiddie movie, then all the kids are making noise so it doesn't matter.

Sadly, I've seen stupid parents bring 5-8 year old kids to midnight shows of Blade, The Crow, etc. They should make you get a license before you have kids!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were me, I'd ban all kids under a certain age, like 4 or 5. All the younger ones do is disturb others in the auditoriums that are trying to enjoy a movie. How many of you went to showings of "Dinosaur" when it opened? The auditorium was full of little babies and young kids that cried during most of the movie because the movie scared them. Most kids under the age of 5 have attention spans of just a few minutes (look at the way "Sesame Street" works). 15 minutes into a showing of "Tarzan", a young girl said to her mother, "I'm tired of the movie." About halfway into "Big Fat Liar", a young kid asked her mother, "When is it going to be over?" Long movies are not for young kids. They get restless and start making noise. I'd love to go to a theatre where kids under 4 or 5 were not allowed in.

This policy, along wth a ban on cell phones, would make moviegoing much more enjoyable.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Evans. Like there are smoke free zones, there should be kid free zones. Restaurants, theaters etc. I think the folks I see bring babies to the movies are just to cheap to hire a baby sitter. As far as the staff asking noisy or disturbing people to behave themselves....it seems to be the policy of the Regal Poulsbo 10 to never ever go into a theater. You could have all the cell phone in the house singing zip-a-dee doo dah in unison and you'd never see staff. Most of the young parents out there have never been taught manners so they have no problem with their precious apple-dumpling wrecking things for the other patrons. Maybe infants should have to pay twice

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Joel Pantoja
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 09:55 AM      Profile for Joel Pantoja   Email Joel Pantoja   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the policy of one year to twelve pay child price. People still came to the movies and brought their noisy kids. The only movies that I can see a reason not to complain about a noisy theater is a "kids" movie. If I want to watch it and I can't make it to the 9 or 10 pm show (even that is a chance these days) I'll ask for a hearing impared device...

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 10:09 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Babes in arms free, but the cashier is responsible to tell the parent "We don't chage for babes in arms, but at the first sign of fussiness you must take them out of the auditorium."

I'm all for shows after eight banning anyone under twelve. Rugrats should be home by then. OTOH, banning kids all the time cuts off the potential new customer pool. These kids grow up, hopefully to become moviegoers.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone else said, if the infant is carried in, free seems appropriate. Just tell the parent at the time the ticket is bought that if the baby acts up, they must leave the auditorium. Crying babies seems to be a pretty rare thing, and most parents will quickly take the baby out to the lobby if needed. If they don't it's up to theater staff to make this happen (fat chance).

If I go to a movie that appeals to kids (like Shrek), especially a matinee, it's a given the audience will be full of restless kids. So I decide up front whether it's worth the aggravation. Sometimes it is.

Young kids brought to strong R-rated movies disturb me more than anything. The parents should be reported to child welfare and be made to attend parenting classes.

At Regal in Eugene, staff always walks the auditorium, usually twice during the show. They walk all the way down to the front, stand off to the side and "observe" for 30 secs or so, then walk out. Usually this is done by a pair of ushers so they cover both sides at once.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had far too many movies ruined by babies, but they are a necessary evil I guess. Our policy is to let kids 2 and under in free. What amazes me is the difference in ways kids behave. You can tell the ones who have good parents at home...they are quiet, they say "thank you" and they don't run up the aisles.

We do have a kid free zone...the balcony. Nice big sign there saying "reserved for adults (age 21 and over) only." Even then, you would not believe the people who still try to take their kids up there. What's most hilarious is when the KID says, "Dad, I can't go up there...see the sign??" and the dad says, "Oh it's ok, you're with me." So then I step up and say, "I'm sorry, but the kid is right, he cannot go up there." I have probably embarassed a couple of people, but I don't care...if they're that stupid, teaching their kids to ignore the rules, they deserve it.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 11:24 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
up untill xmas we had a monthly event called "babes in arm's" at 10am, where we would encourage any mother's or father's with young babies to come, we would not allow anyone in without a baby .
we would even leave the light's on low (very low, GM's decision) so they could feed and change nappies in the cinema without leaving. adult's paid a cheap price $8.50(oz) and bub's in free.
we persisted for a couple of years but it was never a success, but that was mostly due to our inferior promotion's manager at the time, it was a great idea but now it is no longer!.
i agree babies dont belong in the cinema, especially arthouse cinemas, a woman brought a baby in with her to see mulholland drive the other day, we had a couple of complaint's,apparently the baby was mumbling.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local AMC here in Long Beach now has a big sign near the box office saying something to the effect like "You asked we listened! EVERYONE including infants must have a ticket." I'm pretty sure the problem is people bringing in their kids without paying and taking up a seat and causing seating problems. But for me if I was general manager, first two weeks of a Disney/Kids movie, EVERYONE watching a movie would have to pay, infants and all. Even though adults say they will have them on their lap it's usually not the case, and causes ALOT of headaches.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My policy has always been to start charging at 12 months. What I would really like to do is ban any babies under 12 months... as a matter of fact I'd like to ban anyone under 5 for most movies (non G rated) and ban under 12 for R rated movies. I think parents should only be able to bring in teens for R rated movies, not kids. I've thought that charging $10.00 for infants that should be at a baby sitter would be fair. It would still be saving the parents some money.

Parents can be so inconsiderate, or just plain dumb. I have an older theatre with what used to be called a standee area in the back. Parents will take their crying kids back there as if that has solved the problem, when in fact they are then standing just feet away from other people trying to enjoy the movie. When you suggest that they go out into the lobby beyond the doors they say, How will I see the movie?

It seems to me that NATO could organize an advertising campaign with a trailer that would educate filmgoers of proper etiquette that should be followed when in a theatre. I know that parents should be doing this, and possible schools as well. But, it's just not happening. So if we want to help solve the problem we will have to do it ourselves. It would take all of us to become involved, so that regardless where people go to the movies, they will see that the policies are the same. I often get the remark from people when I inform them of a policy: "Nowhere else do they do that". We tend to be so afraid to offend our patrons in fear that they won't come back. But what about the other patrons that they are chasing away? In the long run, by policing our theatres and getting rid of the bad, we should build a stronger patron base from the good. Those that really want to enjoy the theatre going experience would be able to do so, and the rest can watch video at home and do whatever they want.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If they aren't old enough to walk in on their own two feet (handicapped aside), then they don't get in!

No one under the age of 5 admitted to the 10:00 round of shows. No exceptions.

Parents who do not control their disruptive children will be promptly shot by the projectionist/sniper for being a stupid parent. (In Cinemark terms, that would be an Usher-S!)

At least that's what I would do. Well, I probably couldn't get away with the sniper part, but at least the rest of it should work.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be several theatres in Indianapolis that were locally owned, that had in his newspaper ads "No one under 4 years old admitted".
Have no idea how affective it was, but it ran that way for several years.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several run-ins with parents trying to bring their babies into NC-17 movies (Baise Moi, Romance). Their rationale being that the child is too young to understand what is going on. That may be true but where do you draw the line? So I take the term NC-17 seriously and tell them "No Children 17 and under".

I find that when discussing this with the patron, half the nosey customers agree with me and the other half of the nosey customers agree with the patron. One thing for sure, the half that take my side are much more vocal and some have threatened that if I were to break the rule and let the child in that they would call CPS on both the parents and theatre.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre project I am presently working on is going to have a large cry room with switchable video feeds from each theatre. My customer has done this quite sucessfully in the past. The theatre will also have a concierge and coat check as well.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: