Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » projectionist / handyman?

Author Topic: projectionist / handyman?
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 06:07 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would like to know, is it common for projectionist's to be the cinema handy man?.
in my company it is and being the chief i have to take care of most of it, i honestly don't know much about being a handyman and i'm not that tech minded , but i am good with my hand's and will give anything a go.
my last chief was a great handyman and has unfortunatly set too high a standard for me to follow.
one thing on my side is that i'm not afraid to ask question's, and i've asked plenty so far!

|  IP: Logged

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 09:04 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well in my opinion, projectionists belong in the booth as long as the films are running. They shouldn't be doing anything that they can't just walk (or run) away from if there is trouble with one of the projectors. But if you can make extra money before the theatre opens or after the theatre closes and save the company some money at the same time, I don't see any problem with that. I don't do seats!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be very common for a rural projectionist to be the one who repairs the concession equipment, changes filters, fixes seats and hinges, and in general keeps the mechanicals in good condition.
Code compliance in the cities often limits the use of a projectionist in some of these duties.

I enjoyed fixing stuff and it helped in job security and pay.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i work in a small two screen complex with the foyer being in the middle so i can go straight back to the booth if required .
most of my maintenance work is done in the morning or after close .
we have to do everything (excluding electrical work as i'm not liscensed) ,seat's included!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-05-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the mid 90's Mann Theatres had the Projectionists.
Fixing seats, popcorn poppers, ticket machines, tivoli
aisle lights, ice machines, hot dog machines, painting,
light plumbing, hanging screens, changing A/C filters
and fixing what the kids broke in the booth.

One day at my theatre, I was in the support room mopping
up near the ice machine. One of the new snack bar girls
came in. And asked "I see you around the theatre a lot".
Are you the day time Janitor? I started laughing and
said "Yes I am, what can I fix for you today"

This was in Pasadena, California.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 12:10 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be the weird one here, but I kind of enjoy doing all the non-booth technical stuff around my theater. I just don't do it unless I have one of the other projectionist in the booth. Nothing better than spending the night fixing something and have the GM totally amazed when he comes in a finds a problem from the previous evening has disappeared. Kind of keeps my rep. as a miracle worker intact.
kp

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2002 05:15 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i was in the game myself, or the chief just about fixed everything.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have inherited the whole building, from the 100 ton chiller in the basement to seat repair, plumbing, booth equipment, you name it. One thing that I've found to be a LOT more difficult than it looks is plastering.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-07-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, everyone asks the operator(s) to fix mechanical things since he is working with projectors everyday. People who are not mechanically inclined don't see any difference between working on a projector or an HVAC system.

I think part of a trait of a projectionist is tinkering with mechanical things. I usually don't mind doing that if it doesn't interfere with my real reason for being there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: