Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Getting a new GM, Good or bad?

Author Topic: Getting a new GM, Good or bad?
Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at the regal Eagan 16 in Minnesota, and we recently got a new GM. His name is Erik. The thing is that right now I work on the floor and I hate it and I used to be manager in the booth at my previous job. He has been talking to me about being a projectionist again, but I hear conflicting stories from other employees about the changes Erik wants to make. Its all really confusing and I am not sure if he is just telling everyone what they want to hear to apease them or what not. Its just really frustrating, and I know if I dont get what I want within a certain period of time I want out, but no theatre around here needs help in the projectionist area. Has anyone had experience in this area? Because I am so lost this time...

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2002 02:03 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime there is a change in GMs, people get nervous... Give the guy a chance to see what he is going to do and assist him in whatever way possible.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-02-2002 03:52 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kristen, I've been where your new GM is. Trust me, it's hard for him starting out in a new place. Give him some time, most people will exagerate about anything he says right now because he's the new "Big Boss". If I were you I'd wait it out...being new it will take him time to make any changes, for the better or worse.

------------------
Brad, you're pretty darn Chipper yourself!!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-02-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jim. Give him a chance, and help him in any possible for smooth transition.

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I talked to him, our new GM, and I asked about a lot of the rumors going around and he thought they were funny, but he said people must be pulling it out of their a** because none of it was true. All that Iever hear is complain this and that and all this crap about him, but they havent given him a chance yet. Im making a bigger effort than most, infact pretty much everyone. i like my job, and i hope he can make it better for me in the future. oh well, any advice i can give to the other kids that complain a lot?

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-03-2002 02:19 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, tell them to grow up! :P j/k

No, I would probably tell them to give this guy a chance...they might end up liking their job better now with this new GM, but they will never know if they don't give him a chance or if they get on his bad side.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 03:31 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been through GM changes 4 times now. In all but one case, the GM we got was better than the last. The case where it wasn't, the new GM was because we got bought by a new company, and ALL the policies and procedures changed, which was very stressful.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kristin, chances are the manager is either not being told the complaints or they are running off his back like water off a duck. My response as a manager was to quietly take note of the complainers, and if the complaints weren't legit, just reduce or eliminate those folks hours as better staff hired on.

Complaining usually does more to lower the spirits of the complainer and those taken-in by the complaining that having any positive effect for change. Legitimate complaints are usually posed directly to a manager in terms that show a benefit from correcting the cause of the complaint.

A quick rule-of-thumb in evaluating behavior is to ask yourself "What is it that I ultimately want?" The answer doesn't need to be earth-shattering - it could just be wanting to enjoy your work. Once you have that answered, ask yourself if what you and others are doing are helping or hurting that goal. Act accordingly.

After a management change, many complainers want what they can't possibly get (the easy life under the old chummy or lazy manager), and haven't yet figured out they aren't going to get it. It is THEIR job to change. As the saying goes: "The manager is the manager, is the manager."

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last theater I was at got a GM halfway through my stay there, and it was indeed stressful. He wanted to become much more involved with his booth staff, and wanted to let us know that he thought we couldn't do our jobs correctly. He even went as far as firing one of our best operators for a silly reason. He just wasn't that great with his staff. He ran the place well, but it seemed like he needed to brush up on his people skills a little. He just ended up being a jerk.

------------------
Let...me know...if you see..a Radio Shack...

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a few GM changes in my time and have also helped manage a theatre with my current GM due to the old GM quiting. Let me tell you it is not fun. Imagine being thrown into a totally choatic situation and given so much time to make it run like clockwork. I can tell what is going to happen first. People are going to quit or be terminated. If the new GM is serious then he will not waste his time with average or below average employees and their complaints, especially if it is about the way he runs things. He is going to look at every employee and think "part of the problem or part of the solution?" There is no in between. Make sure you are part of the solution and be quick about it.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have activly managed at 4 theatres in my city thus far. my current GM has been GM for at least that many theatres and i have followed him around pretty much my entire carrer... cause he's da man! but i digress...

anytime a new GM comes into a theatre he brings his own ideas on how a theatre should be run with him. when the existing ideas of the theatre dont match his ideas change occurs. he will do what he can to turn the theatre into his theatre. thats the one point that everyone there should accept in order to make life easier.

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:41 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info, i found that talking to my manager answers all my questions and i think its going to be ok for me. he says that i have the personsonality that he promotes, and that other employees and himself just like to be around me. so thats good, he also likes that i talk to him. but we are finally having a meeting to introduce himself to the staff, even though he already sought me out to talk to me, which makes me feel special. its weird having a manager that is so nice. i think this change is going to be a good one...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: