Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Hiring Floorstaff

Author Topic: Hiring Floorstaff
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be managing Landmark Theatres' flagship theatre -The Regent- when we finish touching up the place. If anyone here knows anyone who's in L.A. or moving to L.A. and looking for that part-time floorstaff gig, send 'em our way. It's a cute little single screen theatre with 400+ seats. We pay allright and really it's a good company to work for.

The only applicants so far have been under-age kids who've been fired by Mann Theaters and I really need a quality staff for this place. When looking for quality I turn to Film-Techers.

Thanks!
-Matt

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2002 01:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for Landmark in Denver for five years. When we had a staff crisis, we advertised in the local alternative weekly and at the local collage. Accept no substitute for a good staff. They will make or break you. We have highschool students as well as collage students. We have had low turnover this year. We have had a maximum of 18 staff members this year and we have only had 11 leave us this year. That is less than 40% turnover. I once worked at a 12-plex that had a 600% turnover rate.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-01-2007 02:13 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1853 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 02:13 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at a mini-crisis at my new theater in that the existing staff is remarkably lazy, untrained, and disinterested and doesn't understand the concept of working for money.

Problem is I have had 0 applications since I got there 2 weeks ago.

I was thinking about calling around to some of the area schools and trying to get an in with work experience programs or something.
The theater itself is kind of a trek to get to if you don't live in the area so for floor staff it might be a bit of a stretch to pull from out of the area but either way we have a significant workload leading up to and through a film festival in march and then wham it's summer so I simply will have to find a new staff.
Many of these kids will probably walk when it comes time to work.

Anybody else have experience with this sort of thing?

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your companys policy the hiring manager at I got a few good staffers with a craigslist posting. You can give a little background about the theater and really get the right people interested in the place.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 01:06 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might have a bad reputation. Maybe word goes around that its not a good place to work, so you might have to do some work to change that image.

Donny Miner
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Donny Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Donny Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about placing "NOW HIRING" on the marquee. We did this at the Fortuna and seemed to work well... Even if your not hiring at the moment this should bring in a fresh supply of aps...

Donny

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some good points. So far the kids are working alright. I'm pleasantly surprised. Or perhaps I've got it together a little better than last time!

Donny,
That certainly is an idea...once I get a ladder to actually DO the marquee [Smile]
Are you still kicking and taking names up there in Fortuna?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: