Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal swallows up UA and Edwards? WTF? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Regal swallows up UA and Edwards? WTF?
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lead story this morning in The Hollywood Reporter online edition:

"In a move that may return some leverage to the long-beleagured exhibition industry, Anschutz Corp. will consolidate its three theater
chains, Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatre Circuit and Edwards Theatres, into one entity -- with Mike Campbell, CEO of Regal Cinemas,
crowned as CEO of the combined theater operations. Anschutz Corp. has named United Artists CEO Kurt Hall to helm a second company to manage new initiatives, according to Campbell and Hall. Campbell will run the exhibition company -- to be made up of the 20% of the U.S. theater screens acquired in the past 18 months by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz -- from Regal's Knoxville, Tenn., headquarters. Hall's company, yet to be named, will focus on the company's advertising, digital strategy and satellite network operations from UA's Denver headquarters. Regal chief operating officer Greg Dunn will continue in that role in the combined theater exhibition company. Industry sources say Anschutz Corp. looked to Regal, which emerged from bankruptcy Tuesday, to manage the combined theater operations because of the company's experience integrating companies."

Let me get this straight.

Mike Campbell -- a career Regal man who saw Regal bloat to something the size of Enron -- as CEO of the combined Regal/UA/Edwards?

Kurt Hall -- who saved a sinking ship at UA and helped nurse it back to health -- in charge of a subsidiary?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Edwards Sr., whom I assume would be deceased by now, is probably spinning in his grave.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
Yes he has passed away.
But with this he is spinning in his grave.

I worked Atlantic Palace 10, Alhambra Place 5, Temple City 4 and
a 10 plex near Magic Mountain.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the problem with this?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Regal will install that specific smell that all their theaters up here in AK. have. Every one of them smells like mildew and death. I love Regal. We make a ton of money everytime we open the same show. The audience knows that they suck.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 07:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken asked "What's the problem with this?"

Well, probably nothing. It just mirrors current business trends in general where smaller companies can't survive without merging with or being acquired by larger companies. Market reality.

My comment about Edwards is prompted only because I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Edwards, and I saw his regional chain grow from 1 theater (the 1-screen Edwards Cinema in Costa Mesa) into the dominant player in the area south of Los Angeles. Edwards saw that Orange County was going to experience phenomenol growth and staked his theater fortune on servicing that market. Mr. Edwards had ties to the movie business and he also appreciated showmanship. Right up until I left CA in 1990, their new construction always had waterfall curtains, and they stubbornly resisted "slide shows" which everyone else was doing by that time. Most of these neighborhood multiplexes had 1 screen equipped for 35/70mm. But they got carried away with building neighborhood theaters on every corner. Looking at their online theater directory, it looks like half their locations have been closed, even ones that weren't all that old.

Just being sentimental I guess.

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with this?

First, Regal could not manage their 4,000 screen circuit profitably. So let's increase it by 50% and give operations to the same guy?

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understaning that they will continue to operate under three different names. At least they'll save a ton of $ on not having to change stationary and signage.

But...what about locations that are within several miles of one another??? Does it really make sense to compete against yourself? Or am I missing something?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 10:35 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some areas they will be the ONLY game in town as they will then own EVERY theater. Can you say monopoly?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 10:42 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some areas Regal already is the only game in town, like Ft. Myers-Bonita Springs-Naples.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 11:02 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think the Feds are going to get involved (a la the Loews/Sony/Cineplex merger in NY & Chicago)?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 11:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't say technically that it is a monopoly because as long as you have Video stores and cable companies in the same area offering the same entertainment, (movies), nothing can be done. Someone tried to claim that in our area years ago when loews was the only chain here and theat is what they were told.

Does anyone outh there remember premier cinemas another campbell chain. Need I say more for those who do remember them.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-31-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be a little unfair to say that Campbell will screw up the new integrated company... the portion of the article said that he'll be in charge of only SOME of the theatres -- it makes it seem as though all the GOOD theatres will be concentrated on and considered an Anshutz Theatre... the rest will remain Regally screwed.

Besides -- he may have screwed up Regal -- but was it really the way Regal operated its theatres? or was it more their aggresive aquisition philosophy?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 09:26 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Campbell----the blind lead the blind (again!).

Jeff Leyland
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 12:55 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a national scale, I do not see many areas where they could be considered monopolistic. Each chain dominates in different markets. Sure there will be some markets where they already compete, but not enough.

I believe many of Regal's problems stemmed from a very poor real estate department that literally put them everywhere.

But there would not be a 'Regal Sucks' website if they were taking care of their customers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: