Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stealth Theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Stealth Theater
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-29-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[This was mentioned in the "new construction" thread, but it might be worthy of its own discussion. Not trying to steal anyone else's thunder.]

A 17-screen "Stealth Theater" is proposed for construction in New Orleans. Pretty radical design departure. Scroll down to see the layout of the entire complex.
http://jazzlandfan.tripod.com/new.htm

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that others will pick apart the auditorium shape for various reasons. Some of the idea is cool but I have one big critisism. I'm certain that it is going to get awfully crowded in the projection booth where the four theatres all come together at one point.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the design will make for an interesting piece of architecture, but I'm not sure how well it will work for film presentation. I don't really like the idea of the curved seating in relation to the curved screen. I just think it will go further to distort the image from certain vantage points. Plus, no matter how they try to sell it, smaller screens will not sell tickets.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a drive-in! Based on my own opinion, this design is doomed. It was found that in drive-ins, with a flat screen even, that picture dropped off at around 70 degree field of vision. Not sure if you follow me here, but if you look at the mock-up, these auditoriums are at 90 degrees. Add the curve of the screens, I don't think anyone at the side could see anything but the opposite half of the screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2002 04:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go on record that this is the stupidest idea for a layout I've ever seen for many reasons, including the ones listed above. This WILL fail. Any takers?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-29-2002 04:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have pictures of their Branson theater at home, which I'll post later (if I can find them!). They use a lot of 5-deck platters in those tight spaces. Oh, and they purchase only used projection equipment.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I count 13 projection booth locations in this blueprint, and most appear triangular. I'd like to see a plan for the booths! I wonder how much attention will be given to equipment layout, access to it,
and transport of prints. How many projectionists?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-29-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually curved rows work really well with curved screens. The problem with the proposed layout is the rows lengths far exceed the screen width creating viewing angle problems. I agree with Brad, this will fail. Someone ought to "enlighten" the developer.... Hmmmm a biz opertunity....

>>> Phil

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be a wind-up!

It took me about 5 seconds looking at the plans to realise this would never work. Perhaps if the seating plans were reversed.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 08:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This plan is nothing new. It plan has been around and used for several years. I believe the originator is Serv Pro/Theatre Service Network out of Yorkville Illinois.

They have had one of these in my area since 1999. It is a seven screen squeezed into a former hardware store of aprox 19,000 square feet (and includes a sizeable lobby area to boot). Each of the seven auditoriums is exactly the same - six rows and 110 seats. You are coming in from the side of the auditorium on the third row which is ground level. The first two rows are cut into the existing concete floor. The 3 rows above surfare a tired up in a modified stadium. The people in the first row can literally reach out and touch the screen while sitting in their seats. From the furthest row in the back if you get a good spit you can manage to hit the screen.

Another example of multiplex mania run amuk!

Jeff Leyland
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 09:04 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article about ShoPro last year in NATO News, with a diagram of a smaller design.

About a year and a half ago, I was able to take a quick look in their theatre in Branson. It was a twelve screen with one really long main hallway. I did not get to tour behind the scenes (I just walked in and checked out the theatres). My quick impression was that for a small chain, it was a nice theatre. Was it as good as the big boys? No. But the 'stealth' design looked interesting. I sat down in a theatre that was a no show for about a minute or so. The presentation was not too bad. Overall finish of the theatre had that generic, sort of cost cutting feel to it.

I plan on going thru it again when I get back to Branson someday.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, that looks PHONY!

It has "DUMP" written all over it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-29-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Ken, it's for real!

Here's a link to a bunch of pix I just updated of their Branson theater:
Sho-Pro Branson Meadows 11

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2002 11:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics, sickening content.

Note to self, never work for a "stealth" theater.

Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange looking theater. I wonder what the sound will sound like in this type of arrangement? My guess is not good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: