Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Austin Powers ad removal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Austin Powers ad removal
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 01:57 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

In the event you haven't been told, NLC has sent (via Fed-Ex overnight) a memo DEMANDING that all trailers and one sheets for the upcoming AP-3 bee removed immediately.

Please read as quoted from the NLC memo:
"Dear Exhibitor:
We are writing to demand that you immediately cease any use of promotional materials related to the film currently entitled "Austin Powers in Goldmember". Failure to do so will result in prohibition of exihibtion of this film in your theatres.

We appreciate your anticipated cooperation. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions."

Signed by Sonya Thompson Halsey / Business Affairs Administration

WTF? They DEMAND? How cocky is that? I, for one, think they much be renaming the print, ala. Star Wars Revenge of the Jedi. Anyone else care to quess as to what is going on here?

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 01-26-2002 02:31 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one demanded me here. I did get a letter requesting the removal of all Austin Powers 3 promotional items simply because they are trying a new marketing strategy for this film.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that the James Bond people were upset about the name and were threatening to sue. No loss, really sick of the trailer and Austin Powers anyway.

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Article on yahoo:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/eo/20020125/en/007_dis_gold_members_austin_powers_1.html

Friday January 25 08:36 PM EST

007 Dis(Gold)members Austin Powers

Forget Dr. Evil and Mini-Me, it's apparently James Bond that poses the biggest threat to Austin
Powers.

The International Man of Mystery has been shaken, stirred and otherwise dismembered by 007. Or
make that dis-Goldmember-ed.

MGM and Danjaq, the British company that controls the Bond film license, have obtained a
cease-and-desist order against New Line Cinema that prohibits New Line from calling the latest
installment of Mike Myers' shagadelic spy series Austin Powers in Goldmember.

Apparently, the 007 folks weren't too keen on the double entendre of Goldmember--a takeoff on the
1964 Bond classic, Goldfinger--and released the legal hounds to force the name change.

"MGM/UA and Danjaq have a zero-tolerance policy towards anyone who tries to trade in on the
James Bond franchise without authorization," says an MGM spokesperson.

Over the past 24 hours, New Line has begun frantically recalling all promotional materials--posters,
trailers, photos and anything else that bears the name Goldmember--from movie theaters, TV stations,
Websites and other media outlets.

"We are currently in the arbitration process and trying to resolve this matter under the MPAA
guidelines," the studio says in a statement. "Until that time, we will be referring to the film as the third
installment of Austin Powers."

The suddenly untitled flick, which began shooting late last year, could require some serious tweaking if
New Line can't get the Bond folks to budge. In addition to playing Powers, Dr. Evil and Fat Bastard,
Myers was reportedly going to add a new character to his repertoire. The name? Goldmember.

One of the most anticipated films of 2002, the latest Austin Powers misadventure will costar Michael
Caine as Austin's dad and Destiny Child's Beyoncé Knowles as the love interest. Returning cast
members include Michael York, Robert Wagner, Seth Green, Mindy Sterling and Verne Troyer. Jay
Roach once again mans the director's seat.

New Line is banking on the film's success. The first installment Austin Powers: International Man of
Mystery grossed $88 million worldwide and its sequel, The Spy Who Shagged Me more than tripled
that sum, earning $310 million, making it the highest grossing film in New Line's history. Myers
reportedly netted $25 million for the third episode.

MGM and Danjaq have been fiercely protective of their multibillion-dollar Bond cash cow over the
years. They successfully sued Sony in 1997 after the studio tried to lauch its own 007 film.

The next Bond film, starring Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry and tentatively titled Bond 20, began
shooting in England this month for a holiday release.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it isn't a Bond movie, and it is quite clearly its own animal ie. Austin Powers in Goldmember, I would be willing to take it to court. I don't think MGM has a member to stand on legaly speaking. I think the court case would be more interesting than the picture.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-26-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hearing about a law that allowed use of copywriten materials for the purpose of parodying them. If that is true, then MGM could not legally force the removal of the Austin Powers ads.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is whether this is a parody a la "Airplane" and the parody of "Airport" or a lifting of the plot and treating it in a humorous fashion, but in a manner that could be confused with the Bond franchise and characters.

IMO, the suit is dumb. If the film is made, it won't have a negative impact on the Bond products as much as drive people to rent "Goldfinger" again and see other Bond films to compare films. There is little possibility of people confusing the Bond films and a parody, which would be the underpinning of any legit suit.

Sometimes you just have to stand back on the sidelines and admire the testosterone driven chutspa of executives and lawyers that start a pissing match standing downwind of their opponent. I guess they have hopes of scaring a few unearned bucks out of them. Myers needs to keep notes and do a film on the executives and their shenanigans.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they had no problems with 'The Spy Who Shagged Me'???

Crazy, baby.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the first Austin Powers movie had tanked, MGM/UA would pay no attention. It's only because AP-3 is following up on, not one but, TWO money-makers that they jump on the legal bandwagon. THEN... New Line decides to fight back... HOW? By leaking (publicizing) the fact that MGM/UA is threatening to sue.

The most popular phrase spoken in the movie biz is probably, "Excuse me, could somebody please help me pull this knife out of my back?"

New Line should just ignore any threats of lawsuits until they actually receive the subpoena. Then they should do as mentioned above... Claim fair use through parody.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of the lawsuit against New Line for using the title Scream. Sony filied the suit because they felt that the movie sounded too much like their movie Screamers (remember that bomb?) and claimed that audiences would be confused. I think that it was settled out of court when New Line agreed to drop a similar lawsuit against Sony.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 11:52 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youre not referring to the movie SCREAM are you?
That was realeased by Miramax (Dimension), not Sony.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 12:26 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I wrote that "Screamers" was Sony. However, I was wrong thinking that "Scream" was from New Line.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 03:04 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First we recieved an email from our home office stating that NL requests that we pull all AP3 materials because they have decided to go with a different marketing strategy. Everyone's reaction was "what the heck is that supposed to mean!?" Then we got the demand letter today. I quote Jason on my exact thought as I was reading it: "WTF!!??" (Okay, I added a little more punctuation.) It pissed off me and my GM so badly. (For once we actually agree on something. )

This suit is rigoddamndiculous. It's a frikkin parody, okay? (As I extend my pinky at the corner of my mouth. ) Only a complete idiot could confuse Austin Powers with James Bond. That pisses me off.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I'm wondering is that I read that the movie actually *has* a character named Goldmember. Does this mean that every scene with this new character is cut out? What about the scenes where they refer to the character? Will this delay the movie?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:35 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawsuit or not, New Line needs to learn the words "Please" and "Thank You"...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: