Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » TERMINATED!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TERMINATED!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-17-2002 04:26 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**this post edited for content. Owner of this post had too much anger in his blood at the moment of authoring.**

For those that saw the post, my apologies. I am not normally vindictive as most of you know. I wish my former employer the best, and hope he dies of a short yet very painful disease.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-17-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, it's tough to know what to do. The owner/upper managment there seems a bit messed up. If they blame broken things on you that have been wrong (and reported) for many years is not right.

It's next to impossible to guess what the owner has/had in mind, but on a wild guess, I'd say he suspects you stole money, or has been unhappy with your work for some time. But he can't prove anything specific. So he made up a bunch of stuff to (look like) he is justified in terminating you. Again I'm guessing, but I suspect this has been in the works for some time. I doubt very much that the notes from the new hire alone did it.

Many laywers will give you a short, simple consultation if you'd like to pursue it. It's bad enough being let go, but to be called a drunk and a stoner is really bad.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never quit! Make the bastards fire you.

Don't sue unless he starts slandering you to other people.

I suspect that you will find better employment at twice the compensation very soon. I'm sure there are many temperary jobs related to the Olympics.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-17-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Take a break, gather your thoughts and deceide what you want to do with your life.

You sound like a bright person so don't let them drag you down to their level.

Ian's advice is perfect. Listen to him. Put this behind you and move on.

Your film-tech family is rooting for you.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 08:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for a major theater chain as a projectionist. As such, I did a lot of things for them in hopes that they would recognize my abilitys and talents and recommend me for a area tech position. My friends and family warned me that they were taking advantage of me and to not be a sap! Nonetheless, I remained optomistic...besides I rather enjoyed maintaining that equipment and taking personal pride in doing my part to maintain a first class presentation!

In any case, I have wrote in other threads some of the crap this company/management pulled...and their attitude to their "valued" employees.

Anyhow, they falsly accused me of damaging their equipment and fired me, and tried to hind behind AZ being a right to work state and all the crap that entails.

So what did I do? Applied for temp. unemployment whil I looked for a new job. Anyhow, in order to qualify for unemployment the State had to do an investigation regarding the circumstances of my discharge. The State found in my favour, and I have a nice letter exonerating me of any wrong doing !

Maybe my experience can help you out? As everyone said, be optomistic and press on with your life. But I would definately take legal action if they slander you and jeoperdize future employment opportunities!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've talked a fair bit about getting rid of problem employees, this is the other side. One thing most jurisdictions have in common is that you can't just up and fire someone without proper procedure (it's almost too hard to fire someone). I don't know what the laws are in Utah, and we of course don't know the entire story, but it sounds like you were:

-a long term, trusted employee.
-in good standing (no previous warnings).
-supported well by co-workers
(Red Flag here, usually when someone is let go that
deserves it, most co-workers will say "It was about time",
NOT resign en masse.)

I'd say damages for Wrongful Dismissal may be possible,
but don't waste alot of time on it unless your Principles
are in play. Lawsuits seldom turn out well for anybody,
and only the lawyers get rich.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Agreeing with Bob and Ian here, but in my own little way: f*ck 'em! Let those guys go piss up a rope, take a vacation so to speak. I wouldn't go to court unless they consider action towards you for that supposed safe thing, then you can throw what you presented their way and see what happens. I believe you are a good employee and worker. Try out another theater or profession of your choice, something you can enjoy.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2002 02:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave's situation sounds similar to what happened to me a couple of years ago. I got fired from a head projectionist job officially for "no reason". But then I started to hear things that it had been a long time coming since the head tech there didn't like me because I made him look bad (it wasn't exactly a hard thing to). Now that same company will fire you just for taking the faceplate off of a DTS unit... it's happened! The head tech was a union guy when the company used unions. Then the company was sold. The union techs were told that they had to give up the union if they wanted to be employed with the new company or stay with the union with the old company which has only 2 ancient theaters left in town. From all of the information I was able to piece together, it seems like the techs were just trying to keep their jobs and didn't want it known that "some kid" could do their shit better than they could. I love politics in the workplace!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-18-2002 09:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless word travels fast around Salt Lake and people respect your former employer, I'm sure ANY other theatre would be happy to have you... I mean, you KNOW what card was busted on the CP-50... that there is something it would take MONTHS to train somebody.

Also -- what are you working for a theatre company that uses a CASH REGISTER to sell tickets off of??!?! Did he have roll tickets there too? Or was he just making up numbers to tell the film company? I mean come on -- what's it take to install a ticketing system nowadays?

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 07:47 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real test: What's the companies response to your future employer when your background / job references are checked.

I would find that out ASAP.

Dennis

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been pointed out before, the film-tech site has many lurkers and public venting might not be wise.

I also regret that Dave had the experience of being fired; from his posts here he seems to be a good person.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-19-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my fellow film techers, I humbly offer my sincere apologies. I was very short and angry when I wrote my post. I hope that this does not diminish my standing amongst you all. I am actualy a fairly calm individual, and as such get walked on a bit. Sometimes that comes out in the word form.

I have edited my earlier message to be much shorter but has the same feeling and intensity.

Dave

PS.... mark, good idea, I already am scripting the whole episode into a film, but it ends differenltly with me as a secret agent protecting the world against bad theater owners.

Dave

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, IF that's as bad as you get after one of the worst days you can have, no bid deal. At least you had a place to vent.

Dennis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2002 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Here's the link to the Wasatch beers list. http://www.wasatchbeers.com/pages/beers.html
It includes the now scandlous POLIGAMY PORTER beer(Why Have Just One?)....Overall they make the best beers I've ever tasted. I love their slogan, "We Drink Our Share and Sell The Rest"

Brad, Sorry about trying to cotinut this in the wrong forum, ya know we're at almost 5 thousand feet here and I rarely come down to "Ground Level".

Dave, Lets meet over at Brewvies and down a few Wasatch's. Dave and Matt that run brewvies are real nice guys, I should introduce you to them. They're still bugging me about doing a dual projecytor 3D show, and now whant to do 70mm film fest too. They might need your help to pull that off. Going there sure beats going to the Tower when it comes to the artsy stuff. The food over there is also real good!
Mark @ GTS

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-21-2002 11:46 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Im on for that. I will tell you when I am NOT free for that. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and this weekend. I spend all day tuesdays and wednesdays and every other weekend with my daughter.

Brad, I am having trouble with my email for some reason, my computer is acting up. If you read this, can you delete or edit the posts from film handlers forum so that it is either gone or at least reads how I edited this one. That would be great.

You know, the one thing that always got to me, was the company policy that said and I quote "...any missing ticket stubs will be considered a cash shortage and will be dealt with accordingly."

Now can anyone tell me how a missing ticket STUB is a cash shortage?

I NEVER enforced it. I just couldn't see how a STUB not there is a cash shortage. The owner explained it as a way to stop box office people from selling ticket stubs. Well thats all fine and dandy, but it doesnt take into account the people that buy too many tickets or buy too early and cant make it, and then never come back to get a refund or try to get a refund.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: