Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre Insurance

Author Topic: Theatre Insurance
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 03:09 AM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any insurance companies out there that NATO recomends, or that are known for insuring theatres? My carrier cancelled my policy and Now I'm paying almost $7,000 a year more than I was 2 months ago, that's a lot for me because I'm a independent with just a couple screens.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 08:45 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reynolds & Reynolds (www.reynolds-reynolds.com)

Maroevich, O'Shea & Coghlan (www.mocins.com)

Showmen's Insurance Agency
Div. of OnTrack Assoc.
(847)676-1444

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Marsch out of NYC. Our Premium went up this year as well. They esplained it as our exposure is greater since we grew 40% this year. I think our bill is around $20,000 for a five screen.

Joel Pantoja
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Joel Pantoja   Email Joel Pantoja   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow $20,000!?! For one five screen? Is that typical?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-11-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insurance is a neccessary part of business.....January and February we renew Workmen's comp, Liability on premises and job-sites, Theft, Emergency medical.....+++ $20,000.00 is not bad since insurance is "risk management" and with thousands of people going through your premises....who knows what will happen. A client had to pay a $15,000 claim last year when a piece of drop ceiling hit a customer on the head while watching a movie.......
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-13-2002 10:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coinsidentally, we are four-walling a film festival in March and the producer asked what kind of insurance the museum has for film damage. The manager asked me and I had no idea what protection, if any, an insurance policy would have to cover print damage. Any of you guys know if the theatre insurance, beyond the every-day kind of coverage for theft, injury and such, do insurance policies that cover cinemas have any special provisions for major film damage? What would happen if a serious brain-wrap were to damage a large amount of footage -- would an insurance policy allow for recouping that cost if the distrib wanted to charge it back to the theatre?

Frank

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-16-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that they'd set the premium so high that you'd have to destroy quite a few prints before the insurance became cheaper than taking on the risk yourself. And the claims would be a minefield to evaluate: print owner could claim you'd damaged it, you say you'd inspected the print on arrival and the damage was there to start with... the mieowing and hissing between the insurer and the two parties to the claim could go on for years.

Of the three major companies I worked for when I was a projectionist, two insured against damage to 70mm prints only (and I'm not aware of any claims having been made), and I don't know if the third even did that.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 06:14 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24 years ago I could only get insurance to cover film loss or damage whilst in transit or building fire not exceeding £3,000, today it is £5,500. This excludes when film is running in the projector.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-17-2002 07:15 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, If you are four walling for a film festival, BAM should require the producer to supply you with a "Certificate of Insurance" naming BAM as additional insured.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-17-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points. I couldn't see how insuring against damage while projecting could be practical, as Leo said, about all you could get would be finger pointing for years and big lawyer bills.

Bob is right -- if the guy wants insurance protection of his prints, then he needs to buy his own insurance policy. What makes it even more complicated is that, yeah, he's the producer of the festival, but he doesn't actually own the prints -- the prints belong to the people who submitted them.

Besides, we do change-over -- one show, one run for each print. I understand his concern, but if he doesn't trust our expertise, maybe he can find a multiplex that will run his festival and let a Local 306 guy have at his prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: