Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Worst Theatre Manager Award Goes To...

Author Topic: The Worst Theatre Manager Award Goes To...
Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 03:07 AM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 8 years ago before I took a break from the theatre business, there was a change in management at our theatre. Our city manager was promoted to a bigger and better position elsewhere, and he was replaced by a 40+ year-old, anal retentive worry wart who liked to sexually harass his female employees by telling them stories about himself and his ex-wife having sex, and then making obscene comments like, "I'd like to get you on the floor in the back room." This went on for several weeks, until one fellow-employee came to me in tears saying that she felt really uncomfortable around him. She had asked him to stop, but he refused. We pleaded with the district manager to look into the situation, but little did we know that SHE was HAVING AN AFFAIR with the guy! So, I did what any other 23-year-old kid with no sense would do. I Fed-Ex'ed an envelope of hand-written letters from all of our employees to the Vice President of this VERY large chain and explained the situation. Well, he blew up...and down the chain of command came his response. "I don't care HOW you do it, but resolve this situation IMMEDIATELY!" So the district manager brings her little recorder and takes statements from all of us regarding what we had seen and heard this guy say to both employees AND customers. Then she tells us that we are all going to give this man another chance, and that the very second we caused anymore trouble, we were going to be replaced by a busload of employees from a nearby theatre. So over the next several weeks, management put their ploy into action...they tightened the screws. We couldn't fart without someone standing over our shoulder writing us up. It was ridiculous. And in days, the best staff I have EVER worked with dropped like flies, because college students don't want to put up with crap at a minimum wage job. I was the last to go. I was written up for talking to the cashier after I had clocked out. I hurled the pen over the guy's head, shouted a few obscenities, and that was that. Lesson learned. Don't fight battles that are lost from the very start.

But the reason I tell this story is because yesterday, I learned of it's happy ending. This man was recently fired from the company...for sexual harrassment! HA! TAKE THAT! But it gets even better. The district manager was promoted to a larger district, and she flourished at her new job...well, that is until she got caught STEALING and was FIRED! BUH-BYE!

So maybe we didn't lose the battle after all. I guess some things are worth fighting for, huh?

Anybody else ever dealt with anything like this?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 04:40 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Situations like you described are legally actionable. Whether or not it was worth pursuing for a min. wage job is up to the victim. But, it sounds as though all worked out in the end.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 09:28 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've dealt with this stuff. Sometimes rotton apples work their way to the top. In your case, upper management was remiss in not transferring the manager to a different theatre. If there is going to be a "second chance" given after a known and documented problem, it is best done in new surroundings.

However... there are often other issues in situations where employees contact upper management to complain .

Example: I walked into a manager position at one older theatre where the previous manager had been let go. That manager was fired in part because he was more intent on being friends with the staff than getting the theatre in shape, in part because of a continuing mysterious shortage problem, in part because of low per-caps, and finally because he held a resentment towards the new director of operations, who wasn't tolerating his behavior.

Immediately upon my arrival as new manager and instituting an inventory control that made it possible to trace theft, that staff mailed a couple of letters with falsified information to the owner of the company attempting to get me fired. (This type of staff retaliation can be common in some areas of the country, and is the reason why no smart executive ever takes such letters at face value.) Fortunately, the new director of operations understood the situation and ignored those letters.

In my case, a long time older female employee who was head of concession was probably the leader of the pack. The woman was barely adequate at her job, but being such a long-term employee I couldn't fire her without repercussions, and she was just shy of being able to retire. I'm fairly sure I made an immediate enemy of her when I prohibited her from bringing in "her favorite" chocolate bars that just happened to be exactly the same size and make as the inventoried theatre candy.

The next step in the employee campaign to get the old manager back or get the less aware assistant promoted (which shows the general level of intelligence of this group) was employees flatly refusing to do certain basic tasks, such as sweeping the floor behind the counter. Understand that this was an older theatre with no new applications coming in, even with a newspaper ad, so mass firings weren't an easy option. At this point, the pocketbooks of these opportunistic petty thieves were beginning to feel the crunch of working just for an honest wage, and attitudes were getting surly.

Phase three of the campaign to get rid of me was to make thinly veiled threats. "You know that people sometimes just disappear in this city, don't you?" Since this crew didn't know my background, I pulled out an old picture of a hulking huge employee I had once been friends with, changed his name to Guido, and suggested that if anything happened to me he and my associates would know where to look first to break arms and legs. (Funny thing is, if he'd heard I was hurt, this fellow probably would have done that.)

I was able to hire a trickle of new employees and did much of the work myself until phase four of their campaign. On the first really busy night with a new film, the older woman called in sick, and at a predetermined time during the big rush the entire floor staff and concession staff walked out without a word, hoping to get me to quit, or to get me fired for being so inept as to have an entire staff walk out on me.

Luckily, I was friends with another manager for the company who worked a few miles away. He ferried over half his staff and things were operating better within half an hour on short staff than they had been the entire previous month. Per-caps in concession started to pick up as customers were served quickly instead of being made to wait for the purposeful slowness of the previous employees.

A couple of the ex-employees attempted to follow up on the walkout and make further trouble at the corporate office, but were quickly shown the door, thus ending the power play.

The head of concession was kept (under a watchful eye), but without her minions she no longer had any power and soon reduced her hours to the minimum required to keep her retirement. Some of the staff from the other theatre transferred permanently because they could get more hours, and a new staff was built.

I bring this all up to point out that there are times when a staff seriously wants control of a theatre- sometimes as a personal vendetta, sometimes so they can goof off, and most often so they can steal from the company and scam the customers. The relating of this experience may help you understand why most experienced company executives will say "The manager is the manager, is the manager. If you don't like him, leave." If I hadn't come into the theatre with a good reputation, and the director of operations hadn't backed me, not only would I have been out of a job, but the company would have continued to lose thousands of dollars a year in theft.

That doesn't mean that the real wayward manager gets carte-blanche. Behind the scenes a manager who screws up can get brought down a peg pretty quickly. I've been on both ends of that cannon.

I do suggest that anyone hiring on to any job do their homework. Ask other managers in a circuit what their opinions are, ask employees, but don't go into a situation blind.

I'm also aware of situations where top-level executives have found their own ways of stealing. I'm happy to say that one of these highly praised "industry greats" that people could never understand my loathing for was recently indicted on felony charges.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-23-2001 01:33 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first job as manager came in a theater 20 years old and run by a staff where no one was older than 17. The previous manager was fired because of a missing deposit, and arrested and convicted for theft. However, the building was not up to code, be it fire, building, or health code. They knew the entire staff was stealing, but they were threatened with action, them calling the appropriate people to inspect them and shut them down. These employees were the ones that took it out of code to begin with.

I took the job and spent a week visiting it as a customer, and quicly found that I needed to replace the whole staff. So what I did was hire a staff and train them at another theater. After they were ready, I came in, fired them all, and put my whole new staff to work. I also hired eight people to fix the place up in less than three days.

Yes all the officials came in to see about our out of code theater. Couldnt find a thing wrong. So they started spray paint tagging the building instead.

Never go in blind. Always know whats up first.

Dave

Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 04:50 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry...my problem is that in my case, upper management viewed the conflict between employee and new management as stemming from an unwillingness on the part of the employees to conform to the change. And I understand the "convenience" of this view given that it is easier to replace 25 minimum wage employees than to change or discipline managers. I suppose the question becomes this: what steps can be taken for theatres to weed out legitimately bad managers? And when it comes down to it, does upper management care more about profit or employee safety and well-being? In my opinion, that's a no-brainer. In my case our complaints were filed away for several years and they were eventually instrumental in the regional manager's decision to rid the company of this bottom feeder. Unfortunately, 8 years ago, it was easier for the company to turn and look the other way.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brent,

Would you email me in private at Jblack8@sc.rr.com please?
Thanks!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brent, you raise good questions. The best way that I know to weed out bad managers is to have a DM that is totally free of theatre responsibilities and has absolute fire and hire authority.

I need to clarify here, a District Manager is not the same as a lead manager for a city or area, but a totally independent person not managing a theatre who can assign his or her own schedule to meet the needs of the district. I've held both positions, and a lead manager simply can't spend the time needed to dig into problems and adequately manage his own theatre properly. Those that come closest are managers that delegate nearly all their theatre responsibilities to staff that aren't paid enough to carry that load.

Yes, it costs money, but a good DM can keep track of problems much better than company assigned auditors, or a bean-counter reviewing percaps and attendence at the corporate office. At a 1 DM to 12 theatre ratio, I can almost guarantee that a good DM will make back his or her salary (and more) within the first year. Unfortunately these savings are hidden in reduced theft, better staffing patterns, and increased attendance, so they are overlooked when money is tightened. Something similar happens with employee safety. An injury or workers comp claim can be expensive, but everyday running doesn't take these increases as a possibility, and employee safety can get short shrift.

There is a myth that increased computerization and use of cameras and excessive reporting can eliminate the need for a district manager. On the surface, it might seem that this works, but like running an engine without oil, hidden damage will be done that is not easily reversed.

You are also correct that sometimes a company does have to look the other way, knowing full well that there is a problem. That too is part of management; sometimes the bigger battles get fought first. The potential for discrimination suits and other practical difficulties can also delay corrective actions.

Your situation wasn't handled well, and you can bet that the company paid for its errors, even though the loss may not have shown up on the books.

Dave, well done on your coup d etat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: