Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Cristmas Party

Author Topic: The Cristmas Party
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 01:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had our second annual Rialto Christmas Party. We closed early so that we didn't run the 9:00 PM shows and gathered at the local bowling alley. Most people bowled a couple of games and then we opened the presents.

Ky and I attend at least two NATO meeting per year and we go to ShoWest and Show East. I attend a couple of film festivals a year as well. At all of these shows the film companies hand out promotional items like t-shirts, hats and other nick-knacks. Every year we package them up and give them to the staff for Christmas. Somebody might get a Planet of the Apes fleece sweater or a Cinemaccanica tote bag. Somebody got a watch from some film or a Jimmy Neutron toy. This year we had enough swag to give everybody at least three items each. I got a, Scabbers the Rat, toy from Harry Potter. We also gave each and every employee a $50 gift certificate to the local mall. We also played Secret Santa where we all draw names out of a hat and give that person a small gift.

The kids had a good time. I bought drinks for those over 21 and they bowled until midnight. Now I have been to corporate Christmas parties where there is catered food, an open bar and a band. But I would have to say that our kids had a better time last night than I did at those corporate Christmas parties. Some of those guys got more presents than I will Christmas morning.

Well, my best Christmas gift this year is that my investor distribution got me out of debt for the first time since I opened this theatre 2 years ago. It's not sexy, but it will do.

As employers, we cannot pay a great deal of money to the staff. But we can treat our staff with respect, buy them the occasional pizza for dinner if we are particularly busy and we treat them well. They will discover later that most jobs aren't like this one. But I can only hope that in 10-20 years when they are in a position of responsibility that they think back and treat their employees as well as we treat ours. We had one of our staff quit last week because she thought we weren’t treating her right. Well, no gift certificate for her.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-20-2001 02:11 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, You sound like the kind of man I would like to work for. So when you open your first NY Theatre let me know and I will apply for a job.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 11:57 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a few years in the movie theater business, I almost forgot there was such a thing as respect. I wish there were more employers out there who would follow your lead, Ian.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 07:43 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Closing early to have a party for staff. Great Idea. Our partys are held after midnight when the cinema is closed. Usually rushing out to a meal at a restaraunt where the wait staff serves us very quickly so they can go home. Then all the 16 yr old concessionists arrive bleary eyed for the matinee the next day.

This year were are having a midnight showing of one of our pictures and pizza for staff.

happy holidays to all Film-Techers

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 09:34 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During November the United Drive-In Theatre Owners Association held an after-season social get-together for members, something we try to do at least once a year, so that outdoor exhibitors can get to know each other and communicate in a social setting when most of their drive-ins are dark for the season. We switch the location each time, but always at a member theatre, so that folks can see each others drive-ins and also see if something the host exhibitor does might work for them at their own theatre.

This year the get-together was scheduled at a time that one of our members had already scheduled an end-of-the-season "thank you" party for his own staff, so this year's host for our social event told the member, "Bring your crew here. The more the merrier!"

The member agreed and brought a bunch of his employees, mostly teens and early twenty somethings, to this other drive-in to enjoy a night out at a DIFFERENT drive-in and actually be on the other side of everything. A bunch of us got behind the counter and did the cooking and serving and everybody, including the member's staff, got the chance to actually sit and watch an entire feature, uninterrupted.

The funny thing was to hear some of the comments from the employees of the other theatre after an evening of socializing with people from other drive-ins and touring the host drive-in. We heard things like, "Wow, I'm not used to being on this side of the concession counter!" and "This is great, people here know what I'm talking about when I talk about my job. At school or at my full-time job their eyes glaze over when I start talking about my work at the drive-in!"

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 02:05 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the last three years our Christmas party has been a pot-luck and a special screening of that years big hit. At the first one, we screened "The World is Not Enough." At the second (last year) we were going to screen "The Grinch," but due to a technicolor screw up that apparantly affected every theatre in western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota, we didn't get the prints util 9:30 (the pot-luck was at 6 and the screening at 7). We watched "Charlie's Angel's" instead, but since most everyone had already seen it, not many stayed. This year, we naturally screened "Lord of the Rings." This time we called the week before and made sure the prints would be there on Teusday. Since we were dealing with ETS, we trusted their answer (unlike with Technicolor). The prints thankfully did arrive Teusday morning, and this was the most successful employee party at our theatre ever. The one box person and one concession person who had to watch the theatre along with the manager didn't mind missing the movie. The box girl was going to take here kids to it later, the concession girl wasn't excited about it, and the manager always falls asleep during movies anyways.

All in all, whatever you are allowed to do for your employees by your company, make sure you do it. Mininum wage is a sad reality in this industry and one that's not going to change anytime soon. Anything you can do to show your employee's you care will help keep them around longer.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-21-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holiday party? Wuzzat? Ain't been one here in many years, says he's broke. Bought a new Land Rover, looking for a 36 foot sail boat, spent 2 weeks in London in August, just joined a country club. Broke?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Ian!

I agree with you fully that most jobs aren't like that, in this industry or any other...which is a pity, since things work so much better that way. If everyone is happy, then you simply can't have it better than that: a positive vibe amongst employees will always beat any other kind of (negative or fearsome) motivational reinforcement in my opinion.

The girl who left? Well, there's always one - what can I say? Did she point to anything specifically? You can't please them all.

I have worked for many, many theatres and the one I'm working for now strikes a perfect balance and sounds similar to yours in that respect so I can relate to what you're saying...but it is exceedingly rare! Most of the employees actually *enjoy* being there most of the time, and does this help the theatre in being so successful? I believe so!

Happy holidays to everyone, and well done once again.

Grant Davies
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Grant Davies   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year we sent our staff off to a local pizza restuarant and bowling alley, paid for with movie tickets. Drinks were supplied by staff bundy fund (money found in slot machines and cinema's)and due to the fact that we are an independant we got the owners to work instead of the staff, so all could go.

The night after the owners held a party for senoir staff with an open bar tab, from ten of us plus five owners we spent around 2500 on booze and food ...

Was well worth is

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-24-2001 05:04 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can not do a Christmas party since most of our staff is usually spread out in different locations doing " Just before Christmas" installs. One of my clients did a Christmas party for his employees in which he closed the entire circuit and threw a big party. In the late 1970's when he was only 30 screens, the party would be in the back yard of the General Managers house. The circuit had grown and the party also with 1000 - 1500 people, bands, major local talent etc. They had to stop two years ago since the company is now 260 screens and 2500 employees and the liability became too great. The company now does several regional "employee family days" to keep the good will. I go to many of these even though I am just a vendor since of my long relationship with this company and the nice people they tend to have on board......it is suprising that the new employees that I have not had an opportunity to meet, know me by my first name and as the "guy" who supplies all that equipment that are part of their work.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2001 05:28 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my last place the company closed the theatre for a whole day, took the staff to lunch followed by a party at whoevers abode was nearest. The company shelled out for everything, and lost a days business. But at that place there was a great sense of comradeship and we worked hard. Ian, continue to treat your staff the way you are, they'll be loyal and give that extra inch to the job.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay to you all.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2001 09:18 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look after your staff and they will serve you well. Ours who are all part- time receive a Christmas present plus monies with their Christmas card. In recent years also a country carvery lunch during January, sadly this year it will be the Last Supper due to closure. Four staff have been here for 18 years, two for 15 years, two for 4 years.

Happy Christmas.

James Keel
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for James Keel   Email James Keel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I remember.

I worked at a UA for 2 years. The first Christmas that came by was a "watch a movie at Midnight" kind of thing. Us new people thought it was neat, but also thought that maybe at least we could get some drinks, or popcorn, or hell, pizza! The old timers said they never had a Christmas party by the hand of the company, per se. Then one day some other manager at another UA lets it slip that, "UA upped the Christmas party budget" that year, and his crew was happy. We went to OUR manager, wondering about this 'Christmas Party Budget', and he nearly fell out of his chair. That year, he begrudgingly gave us a proper Christmas party.

Point of the story? We found out later after he was fired for much worse things, he was reporting the 'party' budgets to headquarters, and getting a petty cash reimbursment in return. Problem was, for the years he was there, he never actually HAD a Christmas party for the crew. It all went into his pockets.

Spectacular Spectacular!
JK

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: