Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Customer Complaint Help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Customer Complaint Help
Joel Michalec
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 12:33 AM      Profile for Joel Michalec   Author's Homepage   Email Joel Michalec   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting for some advice from the pros. I have been in management 15 years, however only the past three in the theatre business. I have a great track record of putting theatres back on track for my company both financially and in terms of QSC.

Recently, I took my largest challenge by far in my career and accepted the position of taking over one of the largest theatres in our state. This theatre has a "dead" reputation. Its been open for four years and has been run by thieves and incompetent managers. It has a poor relationship with the community because of its continued abuse of past GMs. I feel that I have made great dtrides in my first four weeks and this week the company recieved an email complaint that was totally shocking. I am sure that many of you have heard all the complaints and this one pretty much made the theatre look as if it runs on autopilot. Whatever could have been wrong in the eyes of this person's single visit, apparently was. That's not the problem...

Although I disagree with most of the complaint, I voiced my opinions about it to the VP because he demanded an explanation of the complaint's issues. I covered the entire complaint with a rebuttal and the action plan that was being taken and also noted to him that I am trying to beat a dark past in that theatre that is well known to the company. I fear that I may have turned him somewhat against me as his response showed no care of the fact that I had just started to solve these problems. Well, I dont want to ramble on the subject. I am just looking for a bit of advice from other Managers who may have been in this situation and how to you move faster to obtain goals when you feel that you are under the knife????

Joel Michalec

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 03:56 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell your VP that "I can fix it, or not. You need to give me the time to change this building or continue to let things run like they are."

Plain, Simple, Direct.

What company do you work for?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my theatre opens 3 years ago, the GM we had was less than effective. After 6 months he transfered out to another complex. It took 2 years to completely fix the operation. As we concentrated on fixing one problem area, another marginal area would fall apart. Basically, we spent 2 years puttin gout all the little "fires" that kept springing up.

I have no idea how to deal wiht an unreasonable VP. Fixing a damaged operation takes time and money, both things that most companies are not willing to give.

What I can suggest is deal with the most critical items first (i.e. customer service issues). GO one section at a time if you can. Once you have a problem fixed, put someone you can trust to maintain it in charge, then move on to the next problem. While everyone above you wants a quick solution, your best bet for long term solutions is to proceed methodically. Identify your problems, their causes, and then eliminate the causes.

For example, you can drive yourself nuts figuring out a system that keeps an employee from stealing from you. Or you can just identify the thief (they usually make themselves obvious, criminals are dumb) and make an example of him (arrested in fromt of a ton of employees works well). Last year over the holidays, in additon to my regular duties, I was in charge of "fixing" our concession department and training a new department head. This stand was running shortages of 10%+ per week when I got it. To combat this, the pervious dept head had a system of nightly inventory sheets for each station (all told about 30 minutes per station of mgmt and staff labor), as well as keeping all excess stock in total lockdown (someone ran out of skittles and manager had to come and sign them more out). With all of this, the shortages were still absurd. When I got it, I eliminated the problem employees (about 90% of them), and then eliminated all the useless paperwork. For the last year there has been no count sheets and the stockroom is left open. Shortages are less than one half of one percent, and freguently below even a quarter of one percent. The moral of all this is basically treat the disease, not the symptoms, it will fix your problems faster and easier.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-19-2001 06:36 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me get this straight; the VP demanded an explanation for one problem, and does not care that you just started?

I'd have to hear what the problem was/is, how the VP addresed you when asking for an explanation, and how you described what you would do. VP's (like patrons) need to be handled in certain ways.

Many theaters chains are cheap, period. They do not want to pay anything extra than what they MUST. That means no raises, bonuses, etc. (Did you get a raise to work there, or do you have to "prove" yourself first?) Part of this stratagy is to *never* give any word of praise, because you will (later on) say; "I deserve a raise because I fixed up that theater, etc., etc."

Honestly, if the complaint was isolated or minor; and
You feel you were reasonable in your actions; and
The VP was particularly nasty (especially if he never acted like this before);

I would start looking for another job, while seeing if things get better. I'm not kidding. Look now; it may take awhile. You don't want a year to go by with no improvment (on the VP's part) and then realise it was time wasted.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 11:27 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel, you slid over what the complaints were without telling us. This omission, coupled with the lack of retelling the exact response from the VP, make it almost impossible to properly evaluate your situation.

In general and in no particular order:
DMs and VPs don't like what they perceive as defensiveness. If there is a basis in fact, it can be better for a manager to acknowledge that possibility with a simple "Some of that could have happened. Could you (or we) contact the person to get more information so the problem can be resolved?" Being ready to examine an uncomfortable situation, especially in the presence of one's boss, is one of the signs of good management. Such a face to face communication can have other effects as well. The VP may recognise the complainer is an ass, or the complainer, expecting free passes and not a confrontation, may change tune. This tactic also puts the boss on the spot, by stating that you aren't willing to roll over and play dead when threatened by unsubstantiated claims.

If you are saying that something didn't happen when a customer says it did, you have to have detailed information to back you up, which is one reason why so many managers and companies have log books.

Most managers don't realize that they are ALWAYS under the knife. Some managers get comfortable in a theatre and relax, thinking they are safe. This tactic may have worked in the distant past, but not now. In today's market, every manager is constantly evaluated.

Turning a theatre around can be a very difficult, and sometimes impossible task. A theatre's reputation is not easily changed, especially if some patrons have sworn off the theatre entirely. The speed of the recovery is based on a number of factors, including staffing, cleaning, maintenence, projection, sound, and cosmetics. The key times are the summer and winter rushes, when word of mouth is most likely to spread quickly.

A company that is willing to spend some money to rehab a theatre can often recoup that money fairly quickly. Without push, promotion, and extra funds, turnaround can easily take six months.

Staffing is usually the biggest problem, given the low wages and odd hours of many theatres. It takes at least a couple of weeks to evaluate an existing staff and begin to learn the relationships, and then it can take a couple of months (and a lot of determination) to begin to change the mix. Anyone who comes in and fires employees wholesale before evaluating them and the situation runs the risk of hiring what were the previous undesirables, or friends of the thieves.

A company investing money to spruce up the physical plant can help the hiring situation by causing some potential employees to apply for work, when they would not have prviously considered applying at the dirty or run down theatre.

Joel Michalec
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 01:35 PM      Profile for Joel Michalec   Author's Homepage   Email Joel Michalec   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the specifics of the complaint: She said that there were no locks on any bathroom doors, no toilet paper in any stall, stale popcorn, stale cookies, garbage on all theatre floors and sticky floors and said that the lobby is only vaccummed once per week. I think that was all....LOL.

Anyway, I broke down the complaint line by line to the VP, for example, Of all the bathroom stalls, there was one broken lock. I can assume the same for the toilet paper because when a customer comes out and says that there is NO toilet paper, then it means one stall ran out. Stale popcorn and cookies could have been a reality prior to taking over but I changed the way concession was done and that meant product WOULD NOT BE HELD. I explained all of this to him. As far as the garbage in the theatres and sticky floors, I have yet to find any of this and we do a walk-thru after the ushers clean theatres before another show is seated and that is because I found an usher just pushing the brooms up the aisles to the walls and leaving it.

The lobby floors are actually vaccummed nightly and maintained all day. The issue in my theatre is NOT cleanliness. It is a clean theatre. Cleaner, in fact, that any of the other 4 theatres that I have operated for them but that is due to the fact that the building is new. I explained all of this to him and finished my letter by telling him that there was alot of work to do here and my AD would not have selected me if he felt that I could not do it. I also told him that if I was not aware of the challenges I may have not accepted, but I knew and I did. Believe me, speaking of experience in the customer business, many a manager would have walked away from this headache by now.

His ultimate response was that in this business, there is NO TIME to get it right, it has to be RIGHT...NOW! This makes me feel as if I do not get any time to address the theatre's situation. Am I reading this wrong??? This is why I feel a little under the knife.

For those who asked, I work for Hoyts and my theatre is the Manahawkin 10 in New Jersey.

Joel

Joel Michalec
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Joel Michalec   Author's Homepage   Email Joel Michalec   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SEAN:

If you knew my VP, then you would know that making a statement like that to him would be very much like opening a lion's mouth and sticking my head in....

Joel

PS--Sounds great though....

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 03:43 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a theatre is using any of the modern toilet paper dispensers there is no reason for a stall to _ever_ be out of paper. Jumbo rolls can be changed out and the cores slipped into two Jr Jumbo dispensers, rotating multiroll dispensers can be refilled easily, etc. If Hoyt's is trying to use twinroll dispensers as a cost cutting measure, the problem is Hoyt's not yours.

Fresh popcorn often tastes more stale than stale popcorn, anyone who has served the public for a while learns that. The once-a-week lobby cleaning comments, etc. are obvious speculation and hyperbole. I'd blow off the complaint as a pissed-off ex-employee or pass seeking troublemaker.

The more telling part for me was the VP response: "His ultimate response was that in this business, there is NO TIME to get it right, it has to be RIGHT...NOW!"

This will probably get back to that office somehow, but I'll say it anyway. In a word, bullshit. That is the type of response I'd expect from a boot camp sargent who couldn't make it any further up the ranks.

I haven't met your VP, and have never walked into a Hoyt's theatre. I have spoken extensively with a friend who was a longtime manager/projectionist for Hoyt's a while back and I am aware of some of the inner workings and the reputation Hoyt's in the U.S. has gathered. It appears that if any circuit or circuit executive has had ample time to "get it right...NOW!" Hoyt's in the U.S. has, and failed. A couple of quick searches turned up these:

Sample
another Sample

In response to the VPs response: I will say that there are people who say something like "it has to be RIGHT...NOW!" in order to provoke a fear and adrenaline rush of work out of fearful employees or subordinates, others that do it because they themselves are pushed beyond their boundries and are venting their own frustration, and some who do it to test others, or simply because they haven't a clue how to lead except by intimidation.

Frankly, if you know you are doing a better job than the other managers and something similar doesn't happen in the future, it might be best to chalk it up to a bad day in the corporate office.

My personal response would be to make initial inquires elsewhere, and at the next similar outburst force the issue. But, as you can tell here, I am no stranger to standing in a person's face and telling them they are wrong... which for some strange reason turns some folks off, especially if they want blind obedience.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 4 years of management with Hoyts Cinemas I understand your problems with the Boston office, or should I say the Albany district Hoyts is very very cash straped in America, there has been quite a few cash infusions into the company in the past year from Kerry Packer, the stress does show through. Perhaps it is best to talk to you A.D. (who is in Jersey now anyway?) It is very hard to turn around a bad theater, with a bad rep. To be honest, get the hell out of that company, things are thickening up, and the pressure will just get worse, and believe me I do understand how unwarrented the emails can be from T.H. and D.V. Good luck.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-19-2001 11:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jerry's comments. If what was said is true about the VP's comments, then the comments by the VP were totally out of order. That's no way to run a railroad.

It is very difficult for any business to reverse a bad reputation, especially if the name is still under the same "Shingle". Seen it! More than once.

Just for shits and grins, I typed in "Regal Cinemas" In Google's search. I hit the jackpot! WOW!

Paul

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 10:28 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just for shits and grins, I typed in "Regal Cinemas" In Google's search. I hit the jackpot! WOW!

I noticed that the third hit was a "Regal Cinemas Sucks" page.

As a customer, I can certainly say that Regal has some problems, but I think the approach used by the "Regal Cinemas Sucks" page is not the right way to go about improving things. Collecting a bunch of complaints, some of which are very immaturely written, just gives the site less credibility. I think analyzing Regal by collecting all the positive and negative things is a more fair way to go about it, and communicating the problems (as well as any deserved compliments) is the way to go.

As for Regal:

I've found that projection quality varies widely among different Regal theatres. One Regal theatre may be very mediocre while another may be excellent.

Positive: Regal seems to keep their managers in the same place more consistently than Carmike in my area. Since my web site went online in February 1998, the three Regal theatres have kept the same managers. In contrast, Carmike 10 has had 5 managers and Carmike 8 has had 10 managers.

Positive: The Regal theates in my area seem well-kept and clean, and in good cosmetic condition.

Negative: One of the Regals in my area has noticeably worse presentation quality than the other two, and noticeable projection problems often go uncorrected for months. Out-of-frame splices, misframings, alignment problems, and general sloppiness seem to be present at that particular location (so maybe changing that manager wouldn't be a bad idea).

Negative: Regal still has not fixed the "scope at 1.85:1" problem in auditoriums 3-8 and 11-16 at Regal Hollywood 18 and auditoriums 3-6 and 9-12 at Regal Madison Square 12, which were Cobb theatres originally, and taken over by Regal on August 1, 1997.

Positive: Regal has three different mechanisms for easily submitting comments on attendances. There is the paper comment card, available in lobbies, the comment card mechanism on the Regal web site (which I use), and the toll-free number. The comments get emailed to the theatres, and occasionally, I get a response (canned) from these, and have on two occasions been sent some free passes due to some reported problems.

Positive: On February 9, 1998, I wrote a letter to Regal headquarters about a number of severe problems at a specific Regal theatre (5 or so showings with problems so severe as to make part of the movie unwatchable or headache-inducing) and I got a personal reply from the vice president of operations for southern and western regions at Regal. I appreciated the personal reply, since it was not a "canned reply". This made a very positive impression on me.

Negative: In 1999, staff at two Regal theatres thought that specific improvements were to be made and all of the improvements never happened. Staff at Madison Square 12 were telling me that they were getting all new sound systems (al digital) and it never happened. They still have only two auditoriums with DTS sound and the other sound systems are quite poor (badly calibrated or otherwise in bad shape). Staff at Hollywood 18 thought that adjustable masking would be installed (it was even in the Huntsville Times in October 1999). It hasn't happened. I understand that Regal got in bad financial shape like everyone else, but it's hard to believe they didn't see it coming in 1999 and made promises they couldn't keep.

Positive: One Regal theatre has projection quality that is measurably better than all other theatres in my area. For this, I credit the manager, since the other theatres have the same tech guy and the same district manager.

Negative: Regal does not have good enough internal quality checking and control procedures in place to detect presentation quality problems and get them fixed as quickly as possible. One Regal theatre does (see previous item).

There. I feel that this mixture of positive and negative comments would come across much better than a list of complaints and nothing but complaints.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 02:47 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel;
People never forget when something goes wrong. I recieved complaints about the sound system six months after it was redone -- from peole on their way into the auditorium. "When are you going to get headphones for the hearing impared?" Had them for months. "The guy who works back here when you're off is quite rude!" He's been outta here for over a year. "Your seating is very uncomfortable." New seats have been in for 18 months. There is usually a time-lag between the event and the bitching -- often months. How a VP got to be VP without knowing that explaines why I'm still an independent.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-20-2001 11:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, That was a very interesting link. I read them all and printed them out.

Paul

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 04:42 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the main factor in the problem of communication between the theatre manager and the VP in the executive office is location. the theatre manager interacts with the people that work there and knows all about the strong and weak points of the operation first-hand. the VP, or other executive, who does not work in the theatre has no idea what goes on in there... no matter what the theatre manager tells them. their only concern is the bottom line.

the VP has their notion of whats right and the theatre manager has a totally different notion. whos right? the VP of course. they are the ones with final say. it doesnt seem to matter what the best idea is for the theatre is in reality, does it?

all the political games the executives play with the theatres just pisses me off sometimes.

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2001 09:01 PM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The comment about it has to be "Right... now"...

I'm sure I open my self to bashing here, and I completely see, and know that there are reasons why the theater isn't giving its best service (a new manager's first weekend, etc), the fact of it though, does a customer really care?

Perhaps that's what the VP meant?

Like I tell my staff, customer perception is #1. What does the customer see first? Popcorn on the floor in the lobby, or popcorn in the back room? I know you're busy cleaning the popper, but if a customer comes up for a refill, the customer doesn't care about the popper getting closed for the night, they care about their refill first and foremost. So to an extent, if you're a customer, it does need to be right... now. If the floor's dirty, when I come to my show, and the carpet cleaner is coming next week, it doesn't change the fact that I paid my $7-$10 today, for a dirty floor, while a person next week pays the same amount and gets the cleaner theater.

That's the mindset I try to go in each day with. I think if you "settle" for less than perfect, despite having very valid reasons, you almost rely on the reasons.

Like, I'll get to reorganizing those marquee letters this week, I just took over this theater, and I'm tired today. Delegate it out? Employees are required to work.

I guess the best way to sum it up is, if you allow yourself the mindset of "it takes awhile to change things" you may not make improvements to your new theater as fast as you would, if you thought "these customers deserve perfection NOW, not in 3 weeks".

Again, I sympathize, but maybe that's what the VP meant.

------------------
If ya smell, what the Zach is cooking.

Zach Zagar, the most electrifying man in theater entertainment today.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: