Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What is the deal with "Novocaine"?

Author Topic: What is the deal with "Novocaine"?
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday, the local Carmike 10 in Huntsville was the only theatre in Huntsville or Decatur advertising "Novocaine" on its showtimes WWW site. I went to the theatre Friday night to catch it, since the Huntsville Times had printed a positive review, and was told that "the movie company pulled it because it was too mature for Huntsville". Today (Saturday), I went to Nashville, TN and after not finding a theatre showing it, got a newspaper and found that no theatre in Nashville, TN was advertising "Novocaine". Is it too mature for Nashville, too? I went back by Columbia, TN to the Shady Brook Cinema 12 (an independent, as far as I know), and they didn't have it either. Is anyone showing this movie? Why has it been pulled from so many places? If it's too mature for anyone to see, I've got to see it when it comes out on DVD.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-09-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why they would say it's "too mature." It sound like they are worried about some kind of bad publicy. I ran it about 2 weeks ago, and it's just a "regular" movie.. pretty funny although it is a bit dark. It depicts a successful dentist who meets a sex-starved patient and begins to ruin his practice by providing themselves with drugs.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been running this for a month or so to lukewarm response. It's just your average dark comedy and nothing to write home about. It's got a couple of good moments, but nothing I can think of that would be too offensive or disturbing. Most of our audiences are elderly and nobody's complained about it being anything but boring.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 10:31 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I can't prove it, but I suspect this is another case of subtle censorship in the Bible belt, which is a subject that nobody ever dares discussing, for fear of ruffling feathers or creating a backlash.

There are some films that just don't "play" to the audience in certain areas of the south and midwest, even though these same films make a little money in more cosmopolitan areas, New England, and California. When the phrase "too mature" is used it can be a pc code word for "this will never play to the rednecks, the preachers will get upset, and we won't make any money anyway." Sorry to be so blunt, but the bottom line for theatres is money and a secondary part of that is not upsetting the community leaders.

Because of the limited number of first run films, general focus of film on the lowest common denominator or teens, and natural ability to limit an audience, theatres don't see this type of censorship as much as other media, but the south is rife with it. Example: television station management and cable providers in Alabama and some other states will often flat out refuse to carry controversial programs. Example: The Birmingham News is (IMO) a total joke of a newspaper hardly worth being pooped upon by a bored bird. Compare it to the LA Times, NY Times, Miami Herald, or even the Atlanta Constitution and it becomes obvious that it censors content and is inferior in both news analysis and commentary. I had to get the B'ham News to check ads and showtimes, but learned to toss it and get the New York Times for news.

The real shocker for me in the depth of this subtle censorship though, was the mix of books in the bookstores in B'ham during the early 1980s. Coming from Vermont and New York, I was used to well stocked bookstores with current books covering every imaginable subject. When I went to Alabama and made my first forays into the local and chain bookstores I was astonished at the paucity of titles and subjects available. I actually had to drive to Atlanta to find a bookstore with a slightly wider selection on the shelves, and ended up buying most of my books by mail order while I lived there.

While the people of Alabama that I saw, met and knew were generally kind, generous, and personable, there were some subjects that were totally foreign to them. I'm sure things have opened up somewhat since that time, with the introduction of the Barnes & Noble and Border's megabookstores, and the leveling aspect of the internet, but the traces of educational recidivism in certain areas of the country may last for many more years.

disclaimer- none of the above is meant to say that Alabama or the midwest aren't wonderful places to live, or that the people aren't bright, merely that some educational opportunities are denied to those unwilling to work to step outside the "norm" of the local culture.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 03:45 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, you're right about your Birmingham comments (newspaper, etc.). I've been told that Birmingham is worse than Huntsville on many such issues.

For others, thanks for the comments about the movie. I guess I won't make any effort to hunt this one down and see it. I had a good time in Nashville on Saturday, anyway. I hit three malls and spent less than 35 dollars (except food), so that's good.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my area one daily paper has run a review of Novocaine (which is not playing) but not a review of Amelie (which is playing). That's the press for you!

On 10/7 the AMC website had L.I.E. playing at the AMC Hamilton 24. I got to the theater and found out L.I.E. ended 3 days earlier. I had to go to the UA Union Square in NYC to see L.I.E.

Evans: That remark "too mature for Huntsville" can be translated to "We Don't Run Arthouse Pictures". Then again I've come across plenty of mistakes MovieFone has made on showtimes for UA!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 10:10 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're tossing around conspiracy theories ... why don't we look at the most likely reason ... MONEY!!! This film has not broken 250 runs yet ... and the per theater averages haven't been about $3000 ... pathetic for a film like this. The distributor probably just canned the expansion plans it may have had in place (platform release) ... because it wasn't going to recoup the costs of placing a print in a market like Birmingham, AL. Most likely this film will show up sometime in the near future ... as it comes off screen in the larger markets.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-09-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to side with Jerry on this, because, well, I can't see any other reason. I realise it's not a major blockbuster, but a film featuring Steve Martin, Helena Bonham Carter, Laura Dern is not "B" movie stuff.

Apparently, it is in limited release right now, for whatever reason.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 05:59 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You are corrct on that.. Why make more $3k prints if the film doen't do the numbers to support it. Odds are, though, it will make it to DVD before it finds its way to small markets...

John,

There are tons of films with major starts that stay limited. Just because it has Steve martin does not mean it will appeal to everyone, or even a lot of people. Hell, before this thread, I never heard of it..

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 09:08 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you wrote:
"While we're tossing around conspiracy theories ... why don't we look at the most likely reason ... MONEY!!! "

I wrote:
""this will never play to the rednecks, the preachers will get upset, and we won't make any money anyway."

I expanded on this, and Evans agreed with my assessment. BTW, IMO Huntsville does have better news and bookstores, just like Evans said. The needs of the space program workers did wonders for Huntsville.

If prints are being pulled in the cities, there is little reason to strike new prints. What little money was available in Evan's area could be gleaned with one of the used prints at no extra cost. As most of us know, other booking factors might be at work, such as a demand to play for X weeks coming up against a major opening, etc. It was only the fact that it was advertised and then pulled because it was "too mature" that made me remember some past personal experiences.

Anyway, I'm not sure where you are coming from with your statement. I don't see any overt "conspiracy" at work, just a general mind set.
The unsaid is often a powerful component within society, even if it is difficult to trace.

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 02:18 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't yet seen Novocaine, but I want to. Part of the film was shot in my home town of Cedarburg, Wisconsin. It's about 30 mins north of Milwaukee. The scene filmed here took place in a white farmhouse. Other than that I don't know anything about it. It was pretty neat though to have Steve Martin come do a movie in a town of 10,000 people.

Cedarburg's other claim to fame was being the site of the "premiere" of Snow Day with Chevy Chase. A marketing firm in Minneapolis decided to do a big publicity campaign at our annual Winter Fest and the movie premiered in the neighboring city Mequon at the North Shore Cinemas. Unfortunately it didn't premiere at the Rivoli Theatre in Cedarburg.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2001 06:54 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 closest arthouses to me (Rocky Hill, Princeton) get Novocaine tomorrow -- as a programmer till the Xmas product glut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: