Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » I see (nearly) dead people

Author Topic: I see (nearly) dead people
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 02:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema business is not all glamour and stars, it's also a place where I've experienced the darker, and sometimes very sad side of human nature.

One particular history comes to my mind. It was a few minutes before the 11 PM o´clock performance at the now-closed "Cinema 1-8" near Town hall square in Copenhagen. I had lazed up the machines, was ready to go and was in the box office chatting, when I noticed a costumer who looked very much like a junkie. He approached the box office while I was starting the machines by remote control.

After starting the films, I did my round checking the machines and cinemas. That did not take more than 5-7 minutes and I think I probably was back in the box office around 7-10 minutes past 11 PM. The next thing that happened was quite surprising to me. The junkie had taken an overdose in one of our restrooms AND died AND had already been removed! All in less than 10 minutes.

Poor bastard. I think it's a sad story to end your days in an overdose in a public lavatory in a cinema.

Anyone else got similar stories?

Best wishes for the weekend
Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-30-2001 02:31 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, I never had the misfortune of experiencing anything like that. But when you mention "Junkies", it does touch me just a little. While I was in the United States Navy, I saw some of my close friends turn into Junkies when they got out of the navy during the Viet Nam War. Enough said.

Paul

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 03:01 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was running a 13-plex just outside Wasington DC, we had a report of a gang member with a gun in the building. We called the police and they arrived with about 30-40 officers with riot gear. AS the suspect came up the escalator, the police jumped him and pointed shotguns against his skull. By this time, he was pissing all over himself. Scary stuff.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-30-2001 03:45 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this didn't happen here at my theater, but it did happen across the street at the local high school, the same high school I went too. This happened to a friend of one of my employees, and also was a cousin to another.

A few weeks ago all of the high schools across the country were reciting god bless america all at the same time to show teenage unity or some thing like that. Just after this was complete, this student asked to be excused to go the bathroom. He left the classroom, and just about thirty seconds later a loud bang was heard. Students went rushing out to see what happened. This student had a gun and blew his head nearly completely off.

This was very tragic for us here at the theater as many of my employees are students there, and it is my alma matter. The whole community was rather distraught for some time. As they should be.

Dave

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 04:44 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A place I worked at seemed to attract winos, junkies and bums for some reason. Usually the staff wouldn't let them in, but sometimes they sneaked in past them. In five years we had a guy OD in the toilets and two went of heart failure in the theatre. We used to find needles and works all over the place.
One christmas eve my neighbour was out clearing his driveway of snow, from the window I saw him fall and I went out to help him up, by the time I got across the street he had died, turned out he hadn't fallen as such but had suffered a massive heart attack. One hell of a Christmas for his wife and family.

It's thing like that which make one thankfull for each and every day, make you question your own mortality.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 06:04 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago we had an overdose death in our cinema toilets, it was a very busy night, a female usher found him and tried to revive him untill the ambulance came ,he died soon after!. He was a young guy, about 20 i believe. Around that year i found lots of syringes around the building, almost pricking myself once!. things calmed down for some reason and have found no more since!(bodies or syringes).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-30-2001 10:22 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to have some die from drugs; I mean it's sad anyone has to die, but it's sadder to throw your life away.

We never had any directly-related deaths from overdose, suicide, etc. but have had about 3-4 people pass away quietly in the 25 years I've been working at theaters. They all just seem to be sleeping in their seats at the end of the night.

We had a guy who had a heart attack during the needle-piercing scene in "Pulp Fiction." The poor guy was in the center of a row of seats, and the paramedics couldn't get him out to a stretcher. They were zapping him with the defibrillator while he was sitting up in the seat. Was dead by the time he got to the hospital.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-30-2001 10:53 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, one of my sister theaters (at the time) had a gentleman pass away during a show. He had brought his grandson to the movies for New Years Eve and "fell asleep". I hope I never have to directly deal with a situation like that myself.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 01:46 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We once had a guy (dressed as a woman) pass out in the Women's Room after drinking any entire Scope bottle full of Moonshine during a showing of RHPS two years ago. The paramedics came in and took him/her away to the hospital where they probably pumped his/her stomach.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 10:27 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I ran a single screen in a small OR town. We were wedged between two bars and the cops were notorious for not bothering with our neck of the woods. After the second attempted mugging as i left the theater, I had really gotten really militant about who gets past the door. One night, the show was out, one of the workers was on her way to lock the front door and this elderly gentleman walked right in. The worker told him we were closed, and he just kept walking. Watching this, I waved her away since I didn't want her to try to physically stop him. I followed him into the auditorium. He walked about two-thirds of the way to the screen, looked at the seats, then sat. I watched him for a few minutes and he didn't move. I walked down the other aisle so I could approach him from the front. I asked him if he was aware that we had no more shows that evening. He said he didn't care, tho he was polite about it. He didn't seem "confused" or drunk, so I told him we couldn't go home until he left and we'd like to go home. He told me that 25 years ago on this date his wife died next to him, about where he sat, while they were watching the show. I asked him if he would tell me what the date was today. He hit it right on. I went up and sent the help home. I did paperwork behind the snack bar for about half an hour before he came out. He stopped, shook my hand without a word, then left. Never saw him again. Never could find an newspaper article or anyone who had heard of the death. It's interesting as I have more people in my life pass on, his actions seem less odd.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the night fast and the furious came,we had the obvious crowd of people. after the last showing got out, two groups of people started messing with each other, about to start a fight. as they were walking towards each other, about 20 feet away from each other, i walked out almost between them. suddenly, one person pulled out a gun. My stomach dropped to my feet when i looked over and saw a gun pointed in my direction...scared me straight, since i'm only 18.

------------------
...My brain's always wrapped...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: