Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » star wars trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: star wars trailer
Gary Martin
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 06:04 PM      Profile for Gary Martin   Email Gary Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just checked out your message board for the first time cool stuff as a working projectionist/engineer in good old blighty i have to beg plead and generally pray to even get a sniff of the star wars trailer as i work for an independant and we are not considered as important as the big multis so we just sit and wait and wait and wait
if any body fancys communicating drop a line
cheers gary

|  IP: Logged

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 10:54 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can see the both versions of the Star Wars trailer at www.apple.com/trailers You will need to have Quick Time player to play them.

Erich Warwell
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 06:15 AM      Profile for Erich Warwell   Email Erich Warwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've seen the Star Wars Episode 2 teaser and it looked good but, I've heard the newest longer version just makes it look like a love story between anakan and the princess. I havn't seen if for myself though.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 10:43 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photographically speaking (if that's a real phrase)... the trailer is amazing. The compositions are great. The colors are great. It most certainly has the "film look" which digital cinema so desperately wants. In fact, when you see a trailer (normally) you're so far removed from first generation negative that it almost always looks bad. What George Lucas is doing this time allows him to, essentially, make as many "original negatives" as he wants to from which release prints can be struck. The result? The "Forbidden Love" trailer looks better than the Harry Potter movie it's attached to! And this was a digital image! I'm stunned.

So... we can argue about whether there are enough pixels in George Lucas' toy box to make this movie look as good as film. But when you consider that most release prints are at least four generations away from the original negative and trailers are even worse than that (John from Kodak may correct me if I'm mistaken) perhaps the pixel math will be moot.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course the argument against the trailer is that it looks "cartoony" because of the CGI, and it does in my opinion. But some looks good, some of it looks awful. I hope it comes to digital in my area so I can make a comparison.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But will they actually make a number of "original negatives" for the film for the actual release? Or will they do a one-time negative creation and do the usual? I understand the last film had a few wetgate prints, a larger number of slow-printed and a big number of rapid speed prints made.

Richard Topping
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 01:31 PM      Profile for Richard Topping   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Topping   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st time that I saw the new Star Wards trailer I thought it was a load of crap, and was concentrating too much on the love side of the story. However, after seeing it loads of times now I must say that it has grown on me a lot and my only grudge is... why not in SDDS? We don't all have SRD!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailers I have seen have all 3 digital formats on them.

Interesting point Greg brings up about generation loss. Hopefully Lucas will output the digital image to film (however that is done, I don't really know) many times so that ALL of the negatives are essentially "first generation" from the video original.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 03:55 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the trailer called "Black Eyes"?

Gregg, Did anyone ever tell you that you resemble Jimmy Buffett?

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 04:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, those involved in Episode II have already stated they will be bypassing the usual release print process. Here is a quote from a news story in which producer Rick McCallum talks about releasing Episode II on film:
quote:
Remember, our "negative" is on a server. We'll go straight from our server to an IN, and from the IN we go straight to release prints. So we get to bypass the original negative, the answer print, and the IP stage. We'll be releasing on film from 2,000-foot negative reels without a single splice. The level of quality that we will provide to 5,000 theatres will be unprecedented.
That's very nice, but calling the level of quality "unprecedented" is a bit over the top. I'm sure there were many prints in circulation during the heydays of 70mm 6-track that would have given it a run for its money.

Later in that article, McCallum once again pulls out the "nothing will be able to stop it" quote in reference to digital cinema. Puh-leeease. Can't we move beyond simplistic will-it-or-won't-it discussions, and have people start talking about what kind of digital cinema we're going to get? Good or bad? Pathetic 1280x1024 resolution, or something closer to that of film? A puny 1000:1 contrast ratio, or something approaching that of film? A video-ish color gamut, or something closer to that of a dye-transfer print? I'm sick of all the mindless techno-cheerleading. How about some real, in depth analysis from people like him for once?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 05:28 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but ALL the release prints will be made directly from one IN? If so, than why isnt that being done today? There should be no diff if a single IN came from the server or from a film negative.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't all have to come from a single IN (nor do I think they would)...but with a digital origination...they could output as many INs as necessary to handle the release prints in a timely manner without ever wearing out an ON.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2001 08:46 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newbie alert! What the heck are INs and ONs!?

Die, digtital cinema, die! Long live film!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-2001 09:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ON = original negative (i.e. the film that ran through the camera in a conventional non-digital shoot)
IP = interpositive (one generation away from the original negative)
IN = internegative (two generations away from original negative; made from an interpositive; used as printing elements for general release prints)
release print = the stuff that runs through the projector (includes picture and optical soundtrack) at the theatres; these are usually made from an internegative

When shooting on film, you only have one ON. When shooting electronically, the ON is what is output from the film recorder and, thus, you can have as many ONs as you want.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My point is, though, that there IS a cost for every IN made from the digital master. Are they willing to go to that expense to make all the IN's necessary for all those prints? I certainly HOPE they do, but if this practice is accepted by the industry for ALL digital films, cost WILL become an issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: