Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What would you ban in your movie theatre? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What would you ban in your movie theatre?
Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 07:28 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was the first in the area to have a no smoking cinema. I also tried to stop selling popcorn but that proved to be unpopular.

A projectionist friend touring Australia sent me this postcard saying, ‘You’ll be glad that your patrons only throw popcorn on the floor. Here they blow up the cinema if they don’t like the film!’

DRIVE-IN WARNING SIGN- COOBER PEDY, South Australia.
This was once shown on the screen twice each night at the Coober Pedy drive-in. Local miners who drove their work vehicles to the movies needed the reminder.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 09:50 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, I believe that you have just identified the rarest policy snipe in the world, can't have been too many struck!!! Somewhere in the southern 'States, can't recall where, there is a sign on the box office banning firearms!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The "no firearms" sign is at UA theaters. The funny part about it is that legally the sign does not conform to state requirements, so anyone with a permit can waltz right on by and there is not one single damned thing UA can do about it. It is a false sense of security, for anyone with a permit who has taken the course will know the specifics.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 10:43 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guns don't kill people...
...bullets do

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since a UA theatre is private property, then can't a person known to have a firearm be said to be tresspassing???

If someone was knowingly inside my theatre with a gun, I would call the police and have him removed from MY property. In fact, I have done it before. That is my right, since it is private property. If I don't have a state law to back it up, I still have right to do what I want on my own property, right?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 12:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about North Carolina, but in Texas the rules are very clear and NO you could NOT evict someone with a permit to carry a gun with the signs that UA is using just because he has it. The customer would have to start waving the gun around or fire a couple of rounds before he could be considered a threat for you to have legal grounds to remove him. This I am absolutely 100% positive on.

The signs must be at every entrance and exit into and out of the theater and they are MASSIVELY HUGE. They must carry the entire section of the law code on concealed firearms and the lettering must be a minimum of 1 inch tall letters on 100% contrasting background (white letters on black, or black letters on white). This makes for a ludicrously huge sign, almost the size of a movie poster. I've yet to see a place of business actually post the real signs.

Schools, bars, government buildings and such are automatically excluded from having to post the notation, but anyone else (including any theater) must post the real thing or it's not valid. Also if even just one single entrance into the building (rooftops excluded) does not have the sign prominently displayed (even if it is an employee entrance in the back or an "exit only" door), then the theater does not have the right to evict someone for carrying a gun.

Since UA is still using these signs and no manager for UA I've met realizes the actual law on this, I think it's safe to assume there has not been an instance of where a manger tried to evict a patron who was packing. Of course the first time someone gets evicted for carrying a gun (assuming the guy has a license), there is bound to be an interesting lawsuit. It's kind of along the same lines as a manager firing an employee the day after the employee refuses to have sex with the manager. Can't do it.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 12:23 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently found rare snipes from this same drive-in...

Proposed new law...
Require criminal background checks on all people wanting to buy box cutters.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 12:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, looks like I need to check up on the state laws of Florida and run out to the gun shop to build up an arsenal for a visit to Jerry's theater!

I just love the assumption here. I live in Texas! Of course I know about guns!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guns don't kill people, Teenagers who play video games do.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-06-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I have notified Ranger Cordell Walker and he will be watching you...and oh, yes! reporting to me. & & maybe and

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could ban anything from the theatre, my 3 top choices would be:

1. Babies
2. Middle-school kids until they learn to siddown and shaddup
3. Cell phones

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 06:48 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
customers, but not their money

just kidding

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 07:03 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red LED laser beams! cell phones and beepers--obnixious people (those that wont shuddup during the show (KUDOS KUDOS TO SCARY MOVIE !) AKs w/bad hearing aide batteries, people who can't keep their feet off the furniture and who disrupt the people in front of them by kicking chair backs and exposing feet! People who spit wad the screens and port windows,....

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 02:07 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Brad, you can ask someone with a gun to leave, no matter what your signage. You an also ask someone with a Pepsi to leave, or someone with a leather coat, or someone one who wore white shoes after labor day... Private property is private property, the owner or the owners agent can toss whoever they want off for whatever they want (though they face civil sanctions if they violate civil rights legislation)..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2001 03:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In general I would agree with your statement Jim, but in this case there can be legal reprocussions in Texas for kicking someone out for carrying a concealed gun with a permit. People also have rights, including not being discriminated against. Sure you can probably kick someone out for no reason whatsoever, but once you find out that someone has a gun in your theater, if you kick him out you are just setting yourself up for a problem. Do you really want some guy with a loaded weapon, that he had every right to bring into that theater (assuming he has a license), angry at you? That's pretty damned stupid to me and is putting not only yourself at risk, but your employees and the safety of the other customers. Besides, people with concealed carry licenses are not the problem, it's the thugs that are carrying without a permit that are going to cause trouble. If some thug went crazy in your theater lobby and started shooting people's heads off and there was another person witnessing this with a concealed gun and carry license, I believe that person is actually obligated to protect the people around him. (Not 100% sure on that, but pretty sure.) While of course that would now mean that there are two guns firing, at least one of them would be trying to stop the first guy before he hurt or killed any more people.

Crazy isn't it?

By the way Jim, you have erased all of your info from your profile. Who are you hiding from?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: