Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-04-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past Saturday night at midnite we ran Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. It was promoed for a week by a radio station in conjuction with EMI's 20th anniversary re-release of the music. We sold out all 1392 seats and turned away between 500 & 600. If you haven't seen these two together, do it. Music synchs nearly perfectly with the film. It certainly is not for the cinema purists but it IS a crowd pleaser. There is much on the net about this. Might be what your late night crowd is looking for.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-04-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only problem is the film is longer than the album, and it is debateable that the repeat of the album synchs at all...

I too will be doing 'Dark Side of the Wizard' in conjunction with a radio promo sometime between now and Christmas...

-Aaron

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any extra hoops you have to jump through to do this besides booking the film?

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 02:54 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really.
All you have to do is plug a cd player into your non-sync system and have have the music start at just the right time.
I have also has success running DARK SIDE with ET, ECHOES (from meddle) with the JUPITER AND BEYOND THE INFINITE from 2001, and SMASHING PUMKINS SIAMESE DREAM and the first disk of MELLON COLLIE AND THE INFINITE SADNESS with FANTASIA.
I also once did WISH YOU WERE HERE with AKIRA, but the last time i tried, I couldnt get it to work right.
Instructions gor most of these are available at
http://home.xnet.com/~arkiver/synch/synch.shtml

The website hasnt been updated in a few years, probably because the founder got tired of it, but the message board isstill active.
The problem I had with the message board was the people were trying too hard to synch movies and music together and have come up with insane instructions for matching them up.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 07:05 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start the CD on the third roar of the MGM lion.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 07:38 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help me here, we do or do not hear any of the film's dialogue?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really cool experiment. I did this experiment on September 8, 1996, when I had 4 friends over who suggested it. At that time, there weren't many people who knew about it like now. Several months after we did that, I read a big article in the paper about the strange coincidences.

I wonder how far back this "Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz" thing goes. I'd never heard of it before September 8, 1996, and I had some pretty strange friends. It was fun to be doing something so strange that was so entertaining.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-05-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, since most people have seen/heard the Wizard of Oz so often, usually the film's dialogue is not needed.

There was an interview about 6 years ago with Allan Parsons, the producer of Dark Side of the Moon. While he was pleased people had found a new way to enjoy DSOTM, the album was not made intentionally to sync with Wizard of Oz.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-05-2001 11:47 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used 2 identical portable cd players, one with anti skip not activated and the other with it activated as a back=up to use in case the first machine died. Started at the end of Leo's 3rd roar, they stayed in synch all the way thru. The repeats worked perfectly. I don't know if the time cd players take to start a repeat is standard, but we have 3 different players and the repeat time is too close on all to tell any difference. Only thing you might need to do is get public performance clearance for the music, we had it because EMI was a co-promoter of the show. We inputed the track thru an auxilliary input on one of the optical pre=amps so it would go thru the processor, whatever it did sounded great.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 01:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 8-track tape version would work better for this.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 02:22 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse: You been sucking on gin and juice?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 05:29 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'album was not made intentionally to sync with Wizard of Oz'

Bull hocky. You're never gonna convince me it wasn't intentional. Too many exact matches. Pink Floyd knew what they were doing, and just kept a secret really well.

On the topic of the movie's sound, you want this off for sure. The whole point is how the lyrics match up what's going on in the movie.

My question is how you can legally sell tickets to this show, unless the record label gets some of the money or something. As far as I understood, you can't charge people to listen to somebody else's music without their permission, and I don't think MGM and the record label have an agreement on this. Anyone?

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-12-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'album was not made intentionally to sync with Wizard of Oz'

Bull hocky.

Ha-ha! But that's what he said. He was interviewed on a New York City radio station WNEW which played rock at the time (but is all-talk now.) I guess it could be true.. remember the 'millon monkeys at a millon typewriters' thing!

Question: How would you keep the two in sync? Nothing really runs in sync unless they are "locked" together somehow.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-12-2001 10:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>How would you keep the two in sync? Nothing really runs in sync unless they are "locked" together somehow.<<

Very true.. I always wondered how this has managed to supposedly work so well given that not every VCR, turntable, tape deck or in this case projector motor runs at exactly the same speed every time. DVD video and the CD are about the only things close to a constant.

-Aaron

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think that the difference in speed is great enough to make a difference.
Ive tried a few of these on different equipment with the same results each time.
But i havent tried "synching" them in a while, since ive had them on tape for a few years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: