Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Advance tickets on Monsters Inc., Harry Potter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Advance tickets on Monsters Inc., Harry Potter
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least 2 chains in New Jersey (Loews, Regal) are pushing advance tickets on Monsters Inc. and Harry Potter. I mean pushing advance tickets well before release date.

Disney demanded advance tickets be sold on Pearl Harbor. It underperformed on that part and thus underperformed in the US. Disney is now demanding advance tickets be sold for Monsters Inc. Warner Bros. is doing the same for Harry Potter.

Something tells me this isn't the time to demand that theaters push advance tickets -- especially with the economy as it is and the aftermath of 9/11.

Are advance tickets in your locations boffo, so-so or no-no?

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 06:42 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK advance tickets sales for Harry Potter have beaten advances for any prevoious film.. A large number of tickets are being bought up by companies to take their employees out for a treat leading to headlines in some of the tabloids that claim "true " fans and children will have to wait past the opening weeks to get a chance to see the movie.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been selling an incredible amount of advance tickets here in Vegas. These two movies are really outselling Pearl Harbor.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 03:03 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something tells me this isn't the time to demand that theaters push advance tickets -- especially with the economy as it is and the aftermath of 9/11.

What does selling tickets for a film have anything to do with the state of the economy or any terrorist action? By pushing the sale of advanced tickets a company is looking to earn money -- they are not forcing people to purchase tickets. If someone cannot afford or is too scared to go out then they will not go out. I do not believe that it is any company's responsibility to do or do not do something just because of the state of the economy. For one, that is how the economy turns around.. by having people buy things. "Demanding" that theatres sell the tickets in advance is another way for them to sell tickets.. thats it, nothing more. I am not being harsh in any context but I believe that your commment was a little odd because I do not see any connection.

Also, to answer your other question; the advanced sales for Monster's Inc., were nothing to write home about. Probably two or three tickets sold before Thursday, November 1.

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 11-02-2001 07:20 PM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steven Pickles about how irrelevant the economy has anything to do with ticket sales. I would go off into a rant, but I won't.

As for advance ticket sales... They weren't very good until today. But what is so wrong with the advance sales. , we advance sale tickets every week. Maybe not two weeks in advance (i.e. Harry Potter), but tickets are available for the weekend at least three days in advance. This is really not a new concept. If people really knew about this, box office lines may be smaller during the weekends (unless they are picking up their WILL-CALL or MovieFone tix), and they can definitely bring enough money to purchase concessions.

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 10:32 PM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodrich Quality Theaters (IN/IL/MI/MO) have been selling them since 2nd or 3rd week of October, prior to Monsters Inc, we were up to probably $400 worth at my theater (a 9-screen in a Chicago suburb in Indiana). I've been on vacation for Monsters, so not sure where they stand now, but most Monsters movie-goers will probably want Harry P too.

------------------
If ya smell, what the Zach is cooking.

Zach Zagar, the most electrifying man in theater entertainment today.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 02:25 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter premiered in the UK last night. At last report there are 500,000 advance sales nationwide.

Christopher Finn
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 11:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Finn   Email Christopher Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else tired of hearing the words "Harry Potter" yet?

I do agree that it looks like a good flick, and am even reading the book now so I have a basis of comparison when I screen it, but these parents are mean!

They act as if we attempted to pee on them when we tell them that our tickets for opening day will not be on sale until Tuesday, the 13th, when the box office opens at 3:45. "Don't you know how big this is..." screamed an fanatical mother at me today. "Really? You think this is gonna be a big movie?" I wanted to reply.

What it boils down to is that it is simply a movie. If you don't see it on Friday, the 16th, chances are good we will still be showing it the next day... the next week... the next month... and probably into the new year. It isn't as if it is La Streisand's farewell tour. (Bad analogy, I know, as she has had more than one "Farewell Tour.")

I also don't think it is a fair thing to do to offer tickets for sale this far in advance. I don't think it gives everyone a fair shot. I know other theatres in the area that are sold out already for the entire first day! I realize that most of us will be sold out the entire first day, but where is it written that we have to do it over a week in advance?

Ok, thanks for letting me vent.

Chris

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"All I want for Christmas is my liposuction, so I can look real purty!" -- RuPaul

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 02:37 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not opening my box office for Harry Potter ticket sales until 9:30am on the 16th.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, the stadium theater I go to is not doing advance sales on Harry Potter. Should have mentioned that when I started this thread.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-09-2001 04:05 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry opens here around 11/29 from memory. Our 6.30 is already sold out (840 seats!) and today is only the 11/9!

This summer's gonna be huge...

On 12/26 we open Fellowship Of The Ring, Monsters Inc. and Vanilla Sky.

Like I said...it's gonna be huge.

It'll make a nice change from last year.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2001 03:57 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I changed my mind...I am doing advanced sales starting on Monday.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 02:23 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how persuasive the smell of money is!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 08:52 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John W: Can we say 'Interlock'?

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Dick! All those people standing outside my theatre waving cash, offering to pay double, and threatening me made me change my mind!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: