Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Can anyone pronounce Serendipity? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Can anyone pronounce Serendipity?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 11:26 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be another one of those movies where the customers are going to butcher the title. One of my favorites was "Cedar" House Rules.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 11:54 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention that, because my theatre had Cider House Rules at the same time as Snow Falling on Cedars.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 01:51 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnolia - Mongolia was another good one.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 02:15 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite title destroyed by customers has been "Too Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar". Just too much fun to watch them trying to say any part of that title.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get tired of people making little mistakes on titles. Like for Cast Away, they would call it "Castaways." I had a lot of customers ask about "Shriek," also.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our cashiers the other night was asked for a ticket for 'Artificial Insemination', needless to say he replied he was only a cashier but he could sell them a ticket for 'Artificial Intelligence' if they preferred!. This kind of thing happens a lot, the other popular method is when they refer to the main star, ie - 'Can i have to for Tom Cruise please?'

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-05-2001 07:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember people sheepishly mumbling their way through trying to get a ticket for the art film 'Female Perversions'...

Another mouthful of a title was "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover"...

Or "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood"

-Aaron

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2001 11:46 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a manager who kept a running list of such misnomers and even stood near the box office at times to listen out for such things. He printed out a list at one point which I'll have to try and dig up, but there were some great ones!

Once when I worked in a video store I was asked for 'Snipper' instead of 'Sniper'.

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hows about :
Captain correlli's mandolin-- sargent something, you know that guitar movie, captains.... uh ... ect.

Pretty much anything that is more than two syllables is difficult for the customer, shrek is the exception to the two syllable rule.

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 04:27 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think U-571 messed the most people up from my experience. They'd call it "U-90210", "WD-40", "U-boat", "Das-U-Boat", "U-62" (probably because it rhymed), "U-Sub-thing"...U-get the picture.

Some of the people you work with should be able to verify that, Kristin.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 12:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Castaways" was one of my biggest pet peeves. Tom Hanks was the only castaway. Just one. Not plural.

Howabout The Legend of Tiger Woods?

My GM typed "Serpendipity" in the show schedule! Ugggghhhh!!!

Of course, I thought that Max Keeble's Big Move was his Big Movie.

Check this one out. My last theatre was in a pretty rich town full of older people. You know how they can be when they're at the box office. They don't even knw what the movies are about half the time. But apparently one couple liked Tom Cruise, because I heard them discussing it among themselves when they saw the mylar for M:I-2. When they decided that's what they wanted (apparently based soley upon the fact that it had Tom Cruise), the woman said: "I'll have 2 for 'M-one-two', whatever that is."

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken: The Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger has misidentified Max Keeble's Big Move as "Max Keeble's Big Movie" all the way through the movie clock. Seems they're too busy beating the war drums to hire a proofreader.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-06-2001 01:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When "Speed" came out, a friend of mine gave his money to the cashier and simply said "Speed." When she handed him the ticket, he replied with "hey, this is a ticket! I wanted speed!" (OK, its sounds lame now, but was funny at the time.)

"Nights of Cabiria" resulted in some interesting mis-pronounciations (not to mention that way too many people pronounced the director's name as "Frederico Fellini"...grr...)

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 08:28 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with one projectionist who had never screened Doctor Zhivago but he had screened DOCTOR CHICAGO many a time.

Careful explanation made absolutely no difference to him as the next time he would still call it Doctor Chicago.

Regards to all,

Michael.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 01:59 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize with the people who've had to sit thru customers adding an "s" to the title. That drove me crazy.
My favorite was when people would call MI:2 "The tom cruise show"

The Mighty Tenenbaums should be a fun one this winter. Tannenbaums?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: