Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » becoming common practice? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: becoming common practice?
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within the various discussion forums I frequent, I have begun to notice more people complaining about movie theaters shutting down the projector before the credits end. I read of one account regarding the new Kevin Smith film 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' Some audience members (who had stayed through the credits for the short in-joke at the tail end of the credits) complained when the projector was shut down before the snippet and were told by the management "Credits are not part of the movie"
Is it suddenly becoming common practice to shut down the presentation before the very end? (which i consider to be the rating band)
It's a very disturbing thought. Is there anything that can be done? can filmmakers revolt and refuse to have their films shown there?
-sean

(these reports came from a forum on www.viewaskew.com)

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-27-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>...and were told by the management "Credits are not part of the movie"<<

If I were a credited crew member in that audience with my family or friends, I would have raised such a stink with both the chain and the distributor that that location wouldnt be able show another major studio film again!!!

Find out who the manager is and the chain that runs that particular location, and drop a line to Miramax (and the other distribs as well as the home office of the circuit this -head works for) stating exactly what is going on there and I bet you soon see the practice end.

This is one of the biggest peeves of mine...

-Aaron

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 08:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree. If no one is in the theatre, I may shut off the film during the credits for some reason that I cannot think of off the top of my head, but they most definitely ARE part of the movie. I cannot stand when the dowser closes before the ratings strip. If I find that a cue was accidentaly placed to early, I will reposition it so that the show does not end until the ratings band is on screen.

And besides, I'm one of the crazy ones who likes to stay for the credits.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 08:07 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my ratings system (see my site under the presentation quality reviews subpages), I sometimes count off one or two points if I stay to see the credits, or something at the end of them, and the projector is shut off before they're finished. It seems that nothing is really gained by shutting off before the credits are done, since the film must be run on through anyway, right?

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 09:37 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fuuniest thing that happen to me was at Houston Fine Arts Theatre,they had a noise problem in the sound, when I got there theatre was pack to the hilt !! When the house lights came up, & the credits was rolling I notice no one got up to leave, now the credit was probably as long as the movie, (really 10 mins worth) after noticing this I said to the projectionist "wow I can't believe no one is leaving, I never saw this happen before" the projectionist looked at me very strange & said, "don't you know, these are the people who made this picture, they are looking for their names".....I just said "OH" !!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-28-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the last Anime Festival screenings at the Carpenter Center here in Long Beach, the theater ushers were forcing people to vacate their seats as soon as the credits began. I got into it with one of them when they told me to leave. My wanting to listen to the music wasn't acceptable--credits mean the movie's over and to GET OUT!

Wonderful staff training by the Carpenter Center house manager, ey???

Paul

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 04:39 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should ask these people what the hell they're doing working at a movie theater.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what do you do when a customer accidentaly slips in early, as the credits are showing and before the auditorium has been cleaned. You know they're not from the movie that just showed, but are waiting for the next. We always politely ask them to wait outside until we're done cleaning.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 12:09 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see Shrek and Planet of the Apes this summer at the Starlite drive-in in Christiansburg VA. Both times, they cut the projector off before the credits started to roll. It seemed kind of jarring just to have it cut off like that. It made the projectionist in me jump, thinking that something was wrong.

I guess they do it to get people to leave so they can bring in the cars for the next show, but I've actually grown to appreciate the credits and I usually watch them even when I rent something.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 06:01 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Hulls Drive-In near Lexington, Va., we get a few complaints occasionally when we bring up the fields lights during the credits and make voice announcements; such as a reminder to put the speaker back on the pole before driving away, or safety announcements such as watching for kids running between cars. Especially during the intermission between shows. Didn't get any complaints like that last year, but received several this year.

We do not shut off the picture until the credits have ended though.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2001 12:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of shutting off the credits early....

The person who built The Deep End this week (which was a used print) either did not put the correct cue on, or did not remove the old cues. When the lights were supposed to come up at the credits, the dowser closed! A light cue is a center cue (FM-35), but there was a peice of cue tape wrapped around the whole film, so an outboard cue was picked up, which is the show end cue. I fixed it. Just thought I'd share that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2001 12:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, a light cue is a center cue in YOUR theater. There is no industry standard for automation cueing. This is why theaters should always remove whatever cues they placed on the film during breakdown.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I know this! That is why I always remove old cues. I have never seen any of the operators at my theatre wrap the cue around the film, which is why I think it was probably left on from the last theatre. (I implied that a light cue is a center cue "at my theare." Sorry for the confusion.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2001 04:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At cinesphere god help any staff member I see go into the theatre to clean before the credits finish and the lights come up
For any IMAX show the lights stay at zero unitl the credits end and since it is anounced at the beginning of the show this is a policy of the theatre and in most cases in the contract for the print you trip it is your problem
On the 35mm we bring the aisle lights up to 1/2 and the hous up to about 10% for the credits
like the song says it isn't over till the fat lady sings

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2001 08:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, because the ONE time I went to the Esquire IMAX theatre in Sacramento to see "Fantasia 2000", not only did the lights come up right when the end credits started (which still had stuff going on onscreen) but some jerk turned on a MICROPHONE and said "Thank you for coming, please exit to the left side"!!! Funny thing was that nobody else there could've been in more of a hurry to leave than me, since I had to get to work 30 minutes away, yet I still had time to watch all the credits but not enough time to find someone to complain to. I haven't been back there since so I don't know if they usually do that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: