Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How Did The Benefit Go At Your Theater?

Author Topic: How Did The Benefit Go At Your Theater?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the day after, so to speak. Wondering how you all did with the benefit. Our business was about the usual for a Tuesday in this the slowest month of the year. We made a policy not to accept coupons or passes. Would you believe that several customers became irate because they couldn't use them? Guess you will always have a few people out of step with the spirit of things.

|  IP: Logged

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2001 08:17 PM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I stopped in to check the schedule and pick up my paycheck, we were incredibly slow. It was in the middle of a rush and there were about 25 cars in the parking lot, and 5 belonged to our staff.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-26-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our business was typical for Tuesday, very slow. A donation container on the concession counter received $27. Most customers had no knowledge of the benefit, it seems to have been very poorly publicized. Tuesday was undoubtedly chosen in order to minimize loss of revenue. Those companies operating under bankruptcy protection can't give away anything with court permission.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2001 01:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were actually about 2X normal for the early show, about normal for the late show. Had lots of good comments on it. I would say about half the crowd didn't know a thing about it until they saw the big sign I posted by the boxoffice.

I agree it was poorly publicized, but since there was only 6 days to throw it together, I'm not surprised.

Still, it's amazing it didn't get more mention in the news. How many other WHOLE INDUSTRIES across the country have given up a whole day's revenue for this? I can't think of any.

I was a little annoyed at the fact that Carmike (which owns all the theatres in Billings, MT) put an article about the benefit in the Billings paper. The article said that "Carmike" was giving its receipts for the day...no mention of NATO (which sponsored the benefit) or any other theatres doing it. Made it sound like the whole thing was Carmike's idea.

Maybe when the actual numbers start coming out, then it will make some news.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 09:37 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the poor news coverage. I couldn't find any reference to the day in the Miami Herald. I'd like to know what was going on in the mind of the editor.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 09:41 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Nashville, business was SLOW on Tuesday night. Could be the fact that no one knew the benefit was taking place!! Local TV news crews were doing live remotes from empty lobbies at the two big Regal houses on the 10:00 p.m. news. One of the news anchors asked the on-site reporter "Why didn't they do this on a Friday or Saturday night where the donations would have been greater?" I almost wanted to laugh.

It was a great idea, and I'm glad the major chains and NATO were able to pull off an event in that short amount of time, but I do feel it could have been promoted a little stronger.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike ran adverts in the Raleigh and Durham NC papers too...I was also a little miffed about their advert, which was worded oddly to suggest that they WERE the only ones doing it, that it was their idea, and that going to another theatre would somehow be unpatriotic.

It really doesn't matter though...it was a great thing non-the-less.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had about 70-100% increase over a normal Tuesday. Normal Tuesday attendance came in during the 7-9 pm time frame.

We had signs in the box office and around the concession / restaurant area advertising what we were doing.

Had some customer comments that it was a nice thing that was being done.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 12:50 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't NATO arrange to do it this weekend? People would have been eager to contribute if they could do it when they saw a new movie.

Then again people might be getting "charity fatigue". A church near where I live announced a blood drive for 10/3 only to turn around and cancel it. People were giving blood right after 9/11 and the regional blood bank has more than enough.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local ABC affiliate came out to our place to interview two of our assistant managers. It got kinda busy for our 7 o'clock rush, but the nine o'clock round was dead.

We did have quite a few employees (myself included) who donated an hour's pay to the red cross.

I think if they scheduled it for a weekend, NATO would have dropped the profit share. A lot of money can be riding on the weekend. Besides, it's fall, none of the studios are releasing their big hitters for a month anyway.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Carmike's defense, I know that our official press release read as follows:
Carmike Cinemas joins America's Theatre Operators on September 25, 2001 for "The September 11, 2001 Victims' Benefit Day at the Movies."
On Tuesday, September 25th, join us and your country in a worthy cause to benefit the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund and the September 11th Fund of the United Way. If you do nothing else on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 go to a matinee and/or evening show where 100% of your paid admission tickets and concession items will benefit the American Red Cross and United Way Funds.

Again, this was our official press release. It clearly states that we "join America's Theatre Operators." As many of you are fully aware, the papers, much as therest of the media, have their own way of getting words across. IOW< don't believe everything you read, see or hear.

All in all, my location didn't do bad. I'd guesstimate that business was up approx. 80% or so. Our press release for 9/26 stated that we (Carmike) raised over $275,000!

Having the date set for a Fri/Sat is moot. The fact remains that so many theatre chains/operators participated, and that the manipulative/greedy film distributors waived rentals for the day! HOORAH for our industry for allowing this very worthwhile fund raiser to even take place!

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 12:07 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry: For once a TV news reporter asked a good question. That's why I made my point about holding this on the weekend rather than a weeknight.

Steve S: There are "big hitters" this weekend. Fox is handling Don't Say a Word like a summer release. WB is booking Hearts in Atlantis into arthouses and upmarket venues.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-28-2001 02:33 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um... around here "Hearts in Atlantis" went pretty much WIDE.

-Aaron

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 04:41 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,
I can agree that Zoolander & Hearts in Atlantis will do well (Hearts sold out both sneaks last week), but I can't forsee Don't Say a Word lasting too well. The kidnapping plot has been done. The psychological stuff may bring in the crowd who liked Sixth Sense, though.
The biggest are still being saved for November, Monsters Inc. & Harry Potter, obviously. But a benefit then would probably be too late for the publicity the NATO heads were looking for.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a press release that I read, Regal raised roughly $780,000. Not too shabby.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: