Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Needle threat in Theaters

Author Topic: Needle threat in Theaters
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 01:41 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought you should all see this. This was fowarded to me today by a friend who works with me. It was written by Sgt. Mark Peterson of the MA State Patrol about a report seen on all of the major networks' nightly news programs.

Original Text:
FOR YOUR INFORMATION, A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO IN A DARTMOUTH MOVIE THEATER, A PERSON SAT ON SOMETHING SHARP IN ONE OF THE SEATS. WHEN SHE STOOD UP TO SEE WHAT IT WAS, A NEEDLE WAS FOUND POKING THROUGH THE SEAT WITH AN ATTACHED NOTE SAYING, :YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED WITH "HIV".

THE CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL IN BOSTON REPORTS SIMILAR EVENTS HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN SEVERAL OTHER CITIES RECENTLY. ALL OF THE NEEDLES TESTED"HAVE" BEEN POSITIVE FOR HIV.

THE CDC ALSO REPORTS THAT NEEDLES HAVE BEEN FOUND IN THE COIN
RETURN AREAS OF PAY PHONES AND SODA MACHINES. EVERYONE IS ASKED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN CONFRONTED WITH THESE TYPES OF SITUATIONS. ALL PUBLIC CHAIRS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY BUT SAFELY INSPECTED PRIOR TO ANY USE.
A THOROUGH VISUAL INSPECTION IS CONSIDERED THE BARE MINIMUM.
FURTHERMORE, THEY ASK THAT EVERYONE NOTIFY THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS AND
FRIENDS OF THE POTENTIAL DANGERS, AS WELL. THANK YOU.

Does anyone know how verifiable this is? Or has anybody heard about this happening locally?

------------------
http://www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

|  IP: Logged

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 01:48 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen emails and heard about this on and off for years now and I'm told it's an urban myth. But I'm also very gullible (sp?) so I'll believe anything!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 04:48 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, check out this reference:
www.snopes2.com/horrors/madmen/pinprick.htm

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.Bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk
"Do you snorkle?
No, I get nervous when brightly coloured fish stare at me face to face."

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is called an "urban legend" and there is a site devoted to these things. www.urbanlegends.com is such a site. Use their search mechanism and type in "needles HIV" and you'll get several versions.

The site Michael Brown links to appears to be another such compilation.

These things have been around for ages, and the internet provided an easy way to spread them around again. In the past few years, several of these have spread through my workplace, such as the one about not blinking your headlights at a car without its lights on, for example, and the famous "Hit the floor." elevator story involving [fill in the name of a black comedian, like Eddie Murphy].

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks for calling me on that one.

Apparently the person who forwarded it to me forgot to include that small fact with the email.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some psycho who did do that, but I guess seat searches aren't a priority right now to put the now SMALL threat under control.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 05:09 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a scare like this. except it did not have a note or anything. but i girl aboyt 15 sat down on a neddle. and stuck her.
turns out it was someones insulin shot. just imagine what she was going through her head until she found out what it really was. luckly for her
turn out not to be the worst. i know that was going through our heads.

kyle

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: