Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who's looking forward to next year?

Author Topic: Who's looking forward to next year?
Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 01:45 AM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as business goes, who's looking forward to next summer?
I, for one, can't wait. We have all of the ingredients that made summer 99 the best so far. Not only does Episode II come out (will they forgive Lucas for Phantom Menace?), but I've read on Cinescape, Austin Powers III is green-lighted. Now all we need is a Julia Roberts hit, and a super-natural thriller with a eerie-kid to repeat history.

I'm really hoping that this summer (some 10 months away) brings us out of the slumps. I'd love to see theater companies knock down some old junk, put up some better theaters, PAY their staffs better, and so on.

I myself am at a forever-promised to expand, nine screen. I'm crossing my fingers for 2002 to be a banner year to help that along.

Let's hope the powers that be in all companies, learned the lesson of 99 though and only build where its NEEDED, not across the street from another 20+ screen theater (New York, cough cough).

------------------
If ya smell, what the Zach is cooking.

Zach Zagar, the most electrifying man in theater entertainment today.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2001 10:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't complain to much about this summer....yes there were some disapointments....but there also were some good performances in the following......

Shrek
Pearl Harbor
Tomb Raider
The Mummy Returns
Fast and the Furious
Legally Blonde
cats and dogs
Planet of the Apes
Rush Hour 2

Granted there no star wars but they did do well......still though the best summer quality and performance wise is 1989....so maybe next summer can live up to that one with spiderman being the batman of the summer and star wars well being star wars enough said........

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where Bonita Springs, FL, is? That's where I was this past summer. I was rather disapointed. Our business was terrible, but I think that might have been because of the location. But yes, I do hope next summer is much better.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-22-2001 03:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Pearl Harbor' and 'Tomb Raider' were hardly blockbusters, as both of them while posting large boxoffice numbers have barely managed to pay for themselves. Not to mention that both films blew.

-Aaron

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes but pearl harbor did pull in over 414 million dollars world wide that is a good number for a three hour movie.....and hence I did not say that any of these movies were blockbusters they just did well....Shrek and Rush Hour 2 have done the best.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not! Lots of overhyped product + lots of sequels = lots of crap.

Tomb Raider was overhyped and blew. The Fast and the Furious was not overhyped -- and it was GREAT!

So Julia Roberts didn't have a hit this summer. Give me Legally Blonde or The Anniversary Party over America's Sweethearts any day. (BTW I did not see America's Sweethearts.)

Ken L: Bonita Springs is on the West Coast just south of Fort Myers.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2001 11:18 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Monsters, Harry Potter and the upcomming Lord of the Rings, I don't think that we have to wait for this summer to break out of the slump. It's kind of funny that all these movies are originals (at least as far as movies go) where as our summer "saivors" are all sequels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: