Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » National Anthem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: National Anthem
Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 01:15 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your theatre running the National Anthem? The local Drive-in here is getting ready to close it's doors for good and I let them borrow one of my new prints and I was touched when people got out of their cars, stood up, and started singing along and after it was done, everybody beeped their horns. It was a great moment and I felt I did my small part to help out.

------------------
http://www.drive-infilm.com

|  IP: Logged

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 11:46 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we are running the National Anthem as I had already noted in an earlier posting under a different topic (Showing Your colors). On Saturday nights we also use the WurliTzer organ for preshow music, so the past two Saturdays we played patriotic numbers for the final ten minutes before each show. Tonights 7 PM show was quite full, and as we were playing "America's Sweethearts" the audience was mostly over 40. Not only did everyone stand for the anthem, but they sang it as well. I haven't seen that in a long time. However, the 9 PM show was a much younger audience, and not only did they not sing, but they didn't stand either. That is the age group that has grown up without the anthem, the pledge or prayer in our schools, and they don't know what to do. Anyone surprised?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-10-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1601 days since the last post.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is your theatre running the National Anthem?
We Run It on all five screens in the intermission reel that runs before the First Feature

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-11-2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up, I was used to seeing the National Anthem played before every show at theaters aboard Marine Corps bases where we were stationed.

Best ones were the Sakura Theater in Iwakuni, Japan and the Little Hall Theater at mainside, Quantico, VA. Both theaters were pretty large (Little Hall even had a balcony) and had really good anthem clips. As the anthem ended, the auditorium would erupt with "ohh-rah" barks from all the Marines. It was actually pretty cool.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2006 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind running one, just to clear my head from all the horrendous butcherings of the Anthem at the various sports events, like Aretha Franklin's recent Super Bowl mangling of it.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a tyke in the 50s I can remember people standing up at the theater when the anthem came on. But then they also used to clap when the curtains went up and pulled opened (they did both) and when the film was over. What a different world now

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-11-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our organist plays "it's A Grand Old Flag" while the flag blows in a spot light, and usually one other patriotic piece every Saturday night, usually gets great response. As noted above though the 16 to 24 age group doesn't recognize the "Star Spangled Banner" One of our employees who is in that group believes the naation will be in deep shit when her group gets old enough to wield influence.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the same fear each generation?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
all the horrendous butcherings of the Anthem at the various sports events, like Aretha Franklin's recent Super Bowl mangling of it.
i actually thought the neville/franklin "mangling" was pretty good. it was given a bit of r&b groove without too much of that mariah carey-style caterwauling.

in general i don't like the way the anthem is used, be it in front of sporting events or movies (which i've never experienced, thankfully). same with "moments of silence". you're basically a captive audience, asked to show respect for something whether or not that's what you really feel. it's false.

similarly, administering the pledge of allegiance or a prayer or what-have-you to a school class is meaningless (among other things), but the same act done voluntarily by an individual does have meaning, to that person at least.

carl

carl

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-14-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During World War II, I was living with my Grandparents in Aurora, Ontario.

Like Clockwork we attended the movies every Saturday. The Program aways started with the audience standing and singing
"God Save The King."

After the war when I returned to New York City where the National Anthem was not played.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-14-2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which theatre in Aurora did you go to Bob?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-14-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only theatre in Aurora was located across from Cousins Dairy on Centre Street about 50' west of Younge Street. I don't recall the name and I believe it was torn down in the late sixties. Single screen theatre. About 300 seats.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-14-2006 07:53 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During WWII all the theatres here that were part of the Neighborhood Theatres Inc. chain played the Star Spangled Banner either recorded or on the organ before every feature.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to recommend the short story "The Anthem Sprinters" by Ray Bradbury (written back when he was at the height of his skill). Available in many anthologies, it's the story of some workaday Irishmen, friends whose private "in-joke" is a contest to see if you can be out of the theater by the time the national anthem plays. Of course there's fine character writing and an interesting development or two...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: