Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Moonlighting Employees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Moonlighting Employees
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if any else has run into this problem. On Friday I found out that one of my vendors had been moonlighting as a vendor/usher our local competition on his days off. He has been doing this for about one month, asking off for certain days. These "certain days" turned out to be the days he works for them. A customer kiddingly mentioned that one of our employees had sold him popcorn at the theatre down the street. I didn't believe him, so I called their office and asked if they had so and so working there, only to be told , yes he's working tonight. Needless to say, I drove over there in between showtimes, didn't see him at the vending counter, so I asked the 18 year old manager (who looks 15) if he was working. He went to the booth and brought him down to meet someone, that someone being me. The expression on his face was worth a million bucks! They, the competition, had no idea that he was currently working for us, and them! I told our former employee that it was unethical to do such a stunt. He saw nothing wrong with it. Anyone ever caught an employee doing this at your theatre? I was going to give him a choice of working for us or them, until I found out he secretly working there for over 30 days, and told a fellow employee NOT TO TELL HIS BOSS. Gee, guess what? When one of your key vendors asks for more hours and you tell them that you don't have any available, they talk!

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2001 03:57 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our circuit second jobs are ok for anyone but other competitive theatres. In a normal situation, if he worked for us we would give him the option of either leaving them or leaving us due to a conflict of interest. But in keeping this from you, you made the right call firing him on the spot.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2001 04:09 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<shrug> If it was an hourly employee and the schedule didn't conflict, I wouldn't throw a fit. Such moves are common in union situations. Projectionists often work many different locations.

The line I wouldn't cross is if the employee were promoted to part of the management team.

Let's face it, sometimes theatres give employees rotton hours and insufficient pay to make ends meet on any consistent basis. I suspect the employee in question has a lot of drive and probably a lot more integrity than you think. I can relate dozens of tales where underpaid (insufficient or irregular hours) workers took from the till rather than trying to find a second job. I'd guess his heart was in the right place, but his judgement hadn't matured enough to be up front with what he wanted to do.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2001 05:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for Mann and United Artists at the same time for about a week. I had just gotten a projection job at UA, but I stayed at Mann as an assistant manager to help close the theater down (it was being sold). Everybody knew and no one seemed to care.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2001 07:18 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jerry totally. So what? If you can't afford to give your employees enough hours it's no wonder they work on their days off. Would you be so upset if it was a corner shop? Like Jerry said, some people would steal rather than have the drive to work on their days off.

I'm in a senior position at my cinema, but i work days off at the local near my home. It's a direct competitor for my cinema, but i need my pocket money! (and yes, both cinema's know and don't have a problem)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-15-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
[rant mode]

Personally I think that is ridiculous and uncalled for. Did the employee do good work for you? If the answer is yes, then the problem is you. Theaters pay shit and many will not allow an employee to work over 40 hours so they do not have to pay overtime. For some employees that means they HAVE to have another job and just because they like working at your theater enough to make their second job at another theater should not matter.

I have never met an employee that worked two jobs that did not do an excellent job. People in that situation generally work their butts off and can not afford to lose either job. If you really want that person to work exclusively for you, how about a raise so perhaps he doesn't have to? Then again, maybe he is only getting 20 hours a week at your theater so he had to pick up another shift or two at another theater to pay the bills. Perhaps the entire reason why he had to take that other job was because you won't schedule him enough so that he can make ends meet.

Obviously the employee KNEW you would overreact and that is why he tried to keep it a secret from you. I've been in that situation during college where I had to keep two jobs to make ends meet, and yes they were both at theaters. Neither theater cared because I did my job very well at both places and there is no difference here. So long as he shows up for his shifts at your theater and does a good job, what that person does on his days off is really none of your damned business. If nothing else, the guy is getting more experience in the exhibition industry without even affecting your payroll!

I can only hope that John's post above was misread and you did not fire that person. If you did, then I hope you treat everyone that you pay to perform work at your theater the same way. Better tell that soda foundain repair guy to take a hike since he probably works on the competing theater's machines. Oh wait, who cleans your screens? Oh no, I'll bet the guy who delivers your ETS prints delivers for your evil competing theater too! What if the same service company does repair work on your projectors and the guys down the road??? This is just assinine and don't even try to separate employees from outside contract labor. You pay both of them to do work at your theater right? Yes you do! This is no different.

Now go have a Coke and a smile and shove that lame argument about ethics where it belongs. Pathetic.

[/rant mode]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-15-2001 07:52 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry...Amen

Joe.....Amen

Brad....Amen ..............Goodnight!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-15-2001 08:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well in ontario the only way you could displine them if they were a partime employee is if they signed a agrement of non conflict of interest before starting to work and even then it probably wouldn't stand up if they were getting less than 38 hours

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 04:17 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree wiht firing the guy... Not necessarly for having the other job, but for hiding it... I don't know about you guys, but I want to be able to trust the personnel under me, rather than wonder where their loyalty lies... To paraphrase a parable, no man can serve too masters and be loyal to both equally..

Brad... I have had employees go off in similar fashon about hours, pay, etc.. I always tell them it is the nature of the buisness. All choices we make in life have their consequences. I can choose a lower paying, but fun, theatre job, or a higher paying, but less fun, office job. Its a tradeoff inherent in the buisness.

Think about it this way. On a Saturday I need 21+ ushers to take care of all the necessary tasks in my 20-plex... On Monday, I need 2... Assuming 3 or 4 people will ask off for a Saturday, I need 25 employees in the department to keep it staffed. Are you honestly suggesting that I have a responsibility to give any of those 25 employees 40 hours a week if they ask for it?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-16-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim said "Assuming 3 or 4 people will ask off for a Saturday, I need 25 employees in the department to keep it staffed. Are you honestly suggesting that I have a responsibility to give any of those 25 employees 40 hours a week if they ask for it?"
No but you can't penalize them either when they seek extra income
A part time job is as the name implies part of the time they work for you the rest is theirs to do with basically as they see fit

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-16-2001 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes part time people are treated as cattle....maybe it was wrong to hide his employment at another theatre, but then again management can be too controlling of peoples's lives away from the workplace....did the initial place have a written policy that employees signed off on...probably not. The employee was probably learning more marketable skills ( he was in the booth ) and if he does get over being fired, he will probably earn more elsewhere.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com
A former cinema operator ( before Brenkert Josh was born ) with alumni employees at AMC and General Cinema.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main issue I see is not that he worked at the competion, it is that he tried to cover it up... The employee realized the conflict of interest it posed, and resorted to dishonesty.

For the record, I have and have had employees with multiple jobs, one even worked at the local large-format theatre as well. The difference was that it was not hidden.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 08:08 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I treat all my employees as a team. No one is better than the next. We have a great staff, and yes, they don't get paided big bucks, they know that when they are interviewed. But, everyone enjoys working for me and our company. We have preview night for the staff, pizza, sodas, etc. They get the days off that they ask for, are scheduled for the hours they prefer, and so forth.He was given as many hours as he wanted. He was a good worker. However, this is not the first time that I have caught him lying to me. If you tell me that you will be out of state for a week, they ya better be out of state instead of being spotted in town. Then, only to tell us that you had a great time in Ohio and just got back tonight! This person didn't see anything wrong with working for the competition. I see differently, especially since the competition is less than a mile away in a town of 35m. It wouldn't take much for him to tell the "other guy" what our concession sales were the times that he was working. I don't think he would do that, but ya never know. Kids don't see it as management see's it. Its a dog eat dog world. Believe me, I don't like releasing people, its very hard to find anyone in the workforce in our area. But, I will not put up being lied to. The manager at the other theatre had no idea that he was still working for us, and of course, he kept it from them too! I'm sure he will be happy working for them, it seems that the oldest person working there is around 18 year old.
Oh, by the way, about 4 months ago I had sent in a resume to the out of state company that runs that theatre and was offered a managers position. I had no idea that it was managed by an out of state firm. I turned down the job offer, it paid more, but I wasn't impressed with the theatre presentation.But, I also sat down with the owners of our theatre and put my cards on the table. I told them that I was looking for another chain to work for. they told me that they would rather see me work for a chain in Milwaukee and offered to get me in the door. Not because they were afraid of me working within our city for somebody else, but because of the chain that runs it.

Oh well, sorry that not all of you agree with me on my decision of my employee. But, I hope that it never happens to you. I work 3 jobs, and all of them know of each others, but are in totally different fields. One of my employers said that they would do the same as I did, if it was hidden from them too.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the guy lied to his manager about this, then he absolutely deserved to get fired.

On the other hand, I don't see a problem with one who works for multiple theatres in the same geographic area, at least in the floor-staff or booth capacity...it's not as if there are any "trade secrets" for selling tickets or threading projectors that are likely to cause a conflict of interest. This, of course, assumes that the employee is honest about this when asked and that the quality of his work is not compromised.

I agree, though, that manager-level and higher employees shouldn't work for competing theatres at the same time due to the potential conflict of interest which could result, but I just don't seen how this could be an issue for floor staff.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does it matter if the oldest person there was 18??? You said je would like it better there because of that? Why do you think just because the manager is young he doesnt make his employees work? Im 18 and Im the manager of a 20 screen, and yes I make my employees work.

Lets try and stop the age discriminating comments please its unfair.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass
www.enjoytheshow.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: