Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre Dress Codes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Theatre Dress Codes
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 02:51 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what dress codes everyones theatre has for floor staff and management. The theatre I am managing has no dress code, meaning employees can wear whatever they want as long as they look "nice" (no loose shirts, baggy pants, etc), managers can dress the same. I kind of like the idea and the staff seems to like it as well but I have always worked for theatres that had strict dress codes and employee uniforms, so in some ways this is odd for me. I was thinking of starting a dress code (maybe a polo type thing) for the staff and wanted input from others on the subject.

|  IP: Logged

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 04:40 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that floor employees should have a very uniform dress code - company provided to a certain point. But managers should not be pushed to company provided attire. Nothing less than a suit for management. Company appointed management attire just makes most customers think of, ahem, "Drones". Of course, nametags including "exact job title" for all employees (including management) are completely necessary - including projectionists. Certified projectionists (are there any other type? ) should also be attired in clothes that are "acceptable" work attire - i.e. no baggy pants (for a better description) "wife beater" tee-shirts. Still formally dressed. Anything else is in my opinion is not acceptable.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-10-2001 08:19 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked what we had going at Cinema West. For most locations we had a polo shirt for all the floor staff, with our logo embroidered on the left lapel.

Management was supposed to dress up during key periods, a suit would've been nice but in theatres w/o air conditioning in the lobby/office, it wasn't very practical. But on slow days, where the manager might be doing all sorts of maintenance and cleaning, they were allowed to wear "business casual", ie. dockers and a polo shirt/nice t-shirt.

Things may have changed, but I think it worked out pretty well while I was there.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 10:07 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Sean. You took the words right out of my mouth..or off my keyboard.

Employees should be readily identifiable to the patrons. This includes recognizable uniforms for floor staff and proper business attire for management (including name tags for all).

Joel Michalec
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Joel Michalec   Author's Homepage   Email Joel Michalec   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre circuit has a dress code. I certainly agree with a dress code but I do not agree with ours. First of all, I think that a suit for the Manager is great but the problem is we have to wear the ugly polyster blazers and the same "drone" colored pants, etc...

The staff should be dressed the same. I do not like the style or color choice that my circuit uses. I have been to other circuits where the staff dress uniforms were much more glamorous than ours.
Joel

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectionists should not have name tags. Rarely should they come in contact with the public. And when they do, it is usually because they are called down by management to explain something or other. Kepp your projectionist happy and they will give you their best at what they do, which works out better for everyone.

I agree that they shouldn't wear extremely sloppy clothes, though.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood the point of name tags in general. I mean, it's not as if customers are going to come up and address employees by name. I don't know...it just seems silly to me in many contexts (restaurants, retail stores, etc.).

On the other hand, I do agree that employees should be readily identifiable to the customers. This probably means uniforms for floor staff and a suit (or, at the very least, a tie with neat, clean shirt and pants) for the manager.

As for employees who do not ordinarily interact with the general public (projectionists, maintenance employees, cleaners, etc.), I would vote for "neat" but otherwise no specific uniform.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're old fashioned: maroon vests with black pants & white dress shirts for the pee-ons, black vests & the same outfit for staff supervisors, & "business attire" (dress shirts, ties, slacks) for management. Projectionists' only restriction is to be wearing clothes upon arriving at work.

I, personally, don't like nametags. When I work on the floor, angry patrons will still identify unsatisfying employees with a description, not the name on the tag. We also have a huge problem with employees who lose their name tags while working, it's just too much of a hassle.

Thank god I'm anonomous in the booth!

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My independent theatre has a rather strict dress code. Team Members are only permitted to wear tennis shoes, khaki pants or shorts, a black uniform issue shirt with company logo on the left chest, and a nametag.

While I agree nametags stink (luckily managers and projectionists don't have to wear them), they help me probably more than it does for guests. I don't work weekend matinee shifts that often, but when I do there is often an influx of very young new staff, most of whom I have never met. Nametags help me figure out who the heck these people are.

Either way, if you're going for a loose dress code, I would say khaki or dress pants are a safe bet in addition to either a plain colored polo or oxford shirt. Ties are just unnecessary...especially for projectionists. I don't see a reason for a projectionist to even have a dress code.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 09-10-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an arthouse and a small business, we provide our staff with t-shirts and ask that they wear pants of their choice, no rips, stains, tears or frayed hems. Noboby wears a nametag - it's just too corporate.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 08:11 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that perhaps projectionist can be exempt from uniforms, I think part of the whole experience starts with well dressed, all in the same uniforms, staff meeting and serving the public.
Black vest, black pants, white shirts, red bow ties. The staff always gets a lot of compliments, and they all look nice. Heck, Gordon McLoud wears a dam suit when he aligns my auds.....
lance

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2001 09:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Team Members?" Is everybody at that theater trying to win one for the gipper? Were they drafted fresh out of college? Are backups available in case of injuries? Are there contracts and salary caps?

I prefer the term "employees". Everyone is there to make money, not to join together as a team for one common goal.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2001 12:43 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ky:

What do your t-shirts look like? Do you have a pic of one you could send to me?

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope - everyone should wear name-tags. Even projectionists. I have met very many a projectionist that thinks they can wreak havoc on the floor and get away with it. People that were well versed in their job - but had no "respect" for a general manager that was not making them usher the god-damn theater. If anyone that had worked for me could not maintain a bit of professionalism ; i.e. being respectful to the point that they could wear their "name-tag" and be proud and most respectful of the customer that they bring this service to - then they had no part on my ship.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-11-2001 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think nametags make for better behaved employees (or "team members"). Better hiring and better discipline from management make for a more well behaved staff. If a projectionist thinks he can dish out the BS for no reason, then someone needs to tell him that his attitude will not be tolerated. I think the same guy/girl would dish out the BS regardless of whether he/she had a nametag or not.

Nametags make a theater appear more like Target or some similar place. I do agree with Ky that nametags are "corporate" and can take away from the relaxing atmosphere. Of course Ian and Ky's theater is more of a personal experience than most places (even though I've never been there, but I do know Ian very well). Most theaters more resemble a fast food drive-thru. If that's professionalism, oh my.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: