Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Manager compensation... what and how much?

Author Topic: Manager compensation... what and how much?
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-22-2001 08:04 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Debate exists in my company as to how much a manager should be paid. Our owner is under the impression that managers get 400 to 450 a week in the industry. I know this is crap.

What do you as managers get compensated and for what size theaters,
and or owners, what do you compensate your managers?

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one gets beat to death regularly. You simply cannot compare salaries flat across the country and there is no "average" that has any meaning.

Factors that enter in are:

The general cost of living - San Fransisco and Key West come to mind as areas where managers have to make more just to keep from living in a flop house.

The progression of wages up the corporate ladder. The CFO and upper management don't want managers making more than them, even if the manager works harder.

Skill and experience. A very few managers are recognized throughout the industry as star performers. These guys and gals can prove that their higher wages will increase business. Sadly, the burnout rate is high.

Alternate compensation. I've worked for theatres where lodging was part of the package, and percentage of concession sales is a common perq. Some companies have yearly or quarterly bonuses and incentive programs, sometimes based on group ticket sales or other promotional programs. All this has to be factored in.

Load on the theatre. With rare exceptions, the budget for a theatre is set based on past performance and projections. Some theatres simply can't support a decent manager wage, no matter how great the manager.

The only meaningful comparison you can make is to find the competition wages within the same sector. If there are no competing theatres, then compare to wages for managers at fast food and other retail establishments.

Bottom line is that a manager should get a compensation package that at least includes health care, options for retirement plans, plus enough spendable income for decent housing, food and transportation, clothing, and other necessities such as child care. If you've ever priced health care as an individual, you know that the group health plans save employees big bucks.

Going into a job, a potential manager has to figure whether he will come out ahead or behind. I've turned down jobs where the figures just didn't make sense, and resigned jobs where the pay wasn't commensurate with the work.

I will say that the $400 to $450 a week figure was used by one circuit about ten years ago for starting managers, along with an excellent concession and benefits package. Given inflation and general increases in local taxes, I'd consider those figures a weak package in any metropolitan area, even though they might be quite good in rural areas.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2001 09:49 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figure for a manager starting out in lets say an 8 screen theater that does good business should have a starting pay of $575 a week. Then depending on how much experience and how willing they are to move to different size theaters the pay scale goes from there. I know of some managers who claim they are making around $1000 dollars a week not counting commisions or bonuses. Now these are very experienced managers and have been with the company for a long time.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-23-2001 03:36 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself recieve compensation to just over $800 per week for a six screen theater. The owner however wants me to cut my pay to $400 a week, citing that all theater managers make that much. I work hard, and expect compensation for it.

I am bieng eliminated as of today. The owner cites that I make too much, and refuse to accept the lower pay. Thats fine with me. I hate this company anyway. Constantly having to put up with the owner badgering his managers day in and day out is demeaning. Having the owner come in and tell your employees in front of you that he has to do your job for you, when in fact you ARE doing your job, he just wants to look important.

These theaters are going down my friends. Independants will survive after the chains beat themselves to death.

Dave

PS... need job, have brain, might travel...

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2001 05:02 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My starting pay for my General Management postion was $500 a week. Not bad at all enough for a single person in a mid-sized town to pay the bills - unfortunately not enough to get ahead. So off I go into mid-level retail management. Starting pay on my new job as a manager in training? $875 a week, plus profit sharing. If I take that one. I don't want to leave the business all together but, I need the money. Since there isnt a leauge chain in the area, well besides my last one, it seems that I will have to just find a part time projection job and make my money in the mall. grrrrr.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2001 10:55 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mouth is just about gaping wide open now. My rate is about $600...for two weeks. Yes, its a 40 hour week. Not only am I a manager but a projection manager of an eight screen as well. I only have a year under my belt for both, but other managers in my theatre make about the same or a tad bit more. The GM only gets about 25k.

We're in an independent theatre in suburban Detroit. The thing is we are very successful...opening a beautiful 12 screener down the street in a couple months.

I'm getting slightly burned out being pulled in multiple directions. But Dave....if you're interested, we do have openings for everything with our new place if you care to live in Detroit. Not saying its a bad company at all. This place is fantastic, best job I've ever had. The offer is there....If you are interested, let me know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: