Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pass Logs, How does everyone handle passes?

Author Topic: Pass Logs, How does everyone handle passes?
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-22-2001 08:00 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at our three theaters, we handle passes that come in in the following manner: we have the customer sign in on a pass log that requires that they give thier name, phone number, and signature, and reason that they got the pass in the first place. I feel this an intrusion and so do my customers.

How do the rest of you handle passes, and what does the film companies actually require you to do? According to our owner, just what we do, but at other theaters I have been to, this is just not the case.

We also have about a hundred thousand discount passes out there, and get about 500 per week back on average, it just isnt possible to get customers to do this and keep the line from getting over 200 feet long for a six plex movie theater.

So please tell me what you do, and maybe even scan me a copy of your pass log so i can prove to our owner that we are crazy.

Thanks

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 09:47 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trust you mean discount tickets and not discount passes. If you have 500 discount passes coming in per week, expect a knock on your door from film company auditors.

I don't have a copy a of a contract handy, but there is a limited percentage of passes allowed and a per-cap. Too many passes may result in an owner having to pay to let those freebies in.

True pass control is not handled at the boxoffice except for redemption, but is limited at the origination point. Trip passes must have the reason written on the pass, and the passes have to have some sort of control number and security paper.

Requiring a phone number will just make many people lie. If asked for my phone number, I provide the number of the garbage hauler, police department, or latest telemarketer. I've had too many telemarketers for one life.

Here is a link to a pass log I designed. Passes for each show had to match the passes punched out by the computer. "Tax" passes were used to help avoid abuse by employee families. I think the "tax" went to the Jimmy Fund or some such.
http://www.theatresupport.com/images/Fpasslog.JPG

Note the limited number of entry slots. This was on purpose as a signal to managers to keep the number of passes down. I had a form with more slots for larger theatres.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 12:02 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our pass logs just has a spot for signature, and a bunch of colums for type of pass... Basically, they sign the log and we put the number of passes issued in the approprate column...

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just have them sign a form.This later seen by the home office.

------------------

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2001 01:36 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two types of passes: Blue Cards for patrons, & numbered cards for employees. Our box office employees take the blue passes & punch a key on our computer touchscreens for blue passes. The program logs the pass & we keep the car (it's numbered so we can survey how long the customer had kept it). For employee passes, the ticket seller punches in an employee pass on the computer that's logged in on the server, and then the seller fills out the employee's pass number, name, etc.

We've done it this way for the three and a half years we've been open & it makes record keeping real easy when tax time rolls around.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 09-08-2001 03:34 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have courtesy passes which we give away for promotions, good will, donations, theatre trades etc. If you present one of these you do not sign in as it says on the pass what it was for.

Canceled show passes are the shit happens make good passes and we will take them anytime because we gave them out because we screwed up. Again no signature required - we gave it out and we'll honor it.

Employees and VIP's (press and investors) who have season passes as well as call-ins from other theatre's must sign in on the pass list, which indicates name, signature, movie and number in party.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: