Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Disney Does It Again

Author Topic: Disney Does It Again
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2001 10:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last September Disney doubled "Dinosaur" with "Gone In 60 Seconds" in a reissue to the first runs in order to get "60 Seconds" over the magic 100 Million mark (All the rental from the reissue got credited to 60 Seconds.)

This September the first runs get a return combo of Atlantis & Pearl Harbor. I guess they got to get Pearl over the 200 Million mark.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2001 04:41 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely it's for Labor Day weekend. And yes, it's for Pearl Harbor to get to $200M.

In case you need to refresh your memory there's a thread further back in Ground Level, "Dinosaur/Gone in 60 Seconds: WHAT THE HELL?"

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2001 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if we can expect second-rate, scratched, unrestored prints of these, just like many houses received with the Spy Kids reissue?
Pearl Harbor has had a quite a run at our theater, it's just now went to only one show per day (three in the last few weeks). I know that our print has been maintained to the best that a 9 reel print can be when it's being torn down in sections to be moved down the hall, but what about other prints?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2001 11:04 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely for Labor Day weekend per the EDI website.

Pity the multiplexes that haven't been running Pearl and Atlantis all summer long.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got our booking and unfortunately, we have it.

Atlantis - Matinees
Pearl Harbor - Night shows

Programming this will be a headache. It's hard enough to have booth closers without keeping them to the wee hours of the morning.

Paul.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've found, these are 2 separate re-releases and not necessarily a double-up.

Some theaters are getting back Pearl Harbor but not Atlantis. Some theaters are getting back Atlantis but not Pearl Harbor.

Disney must have heard from all the Film-Techers who were pissed off by that Dinosaur/Gone in 60 Seconds stunt last year.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-30-2001 12:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Disney realized that you have a 3 hr + movie and doubling it with Atlatis would not be feasable.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 11:39 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related to this thread: Shrek is back this weekend as well. Spy Kids gets a re-release of its re-release. Both for matinees only.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 12:11 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing both PEARL HARBOR and ATLANTIS currently at my single screen subrun. PEARL was a holdover, while ATLANTIS just opened. I'm happy to report that both prints are absolutely beautiful... just like new. I'm a happy camper!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: