Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » American International Pictures...Are they available?

Author Topic: American International Pictures...Are they available?
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 11:38 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to see 3 AIP Roger Corman titles in 16mm. I'm wondering if any of these films are available for showing in any of your theatres? After AIP was sold to Filmways, then Orion, did Warner Bros. get them when they got Orion?

I know that there are many of these films that are best forgotten, but some are minor classics like the Poe films, that I saw in LPP color, and the Beach Party series.

Having never seen any of them in widescreen until I saw a 1963 red scope print of Beach Party recently, I never really realized how much was missing on the pan and scan prints. And we all know how badly most of the Poe films were scanned for TV...

If you are playing any of these titles, which ones are you running, and what's the condition of your prints? When I worked in TV, we got some really terrible AI prints to air. The Poe films were usually the worst, along with the Godzilla series. I have always thought that these films were popular, and were used more often.

Our station ran all of the available AI titles in 16mm. Many were the el-cheapie drive-in flicks, but some were very interesting.

I dare to say that these films had more production values than many of the titles produced today, and rarely cost anywhere near a million dollars to make.

Bring them back! I'll go and see them!

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 12:39 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah those old titles are the ginchy-est. I love the strings and zippers and tennis shoes (under the monsters) I'd much rather watch one of those old low budget flicks than about 90% of todays films

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 01:13 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger and his films were at the Enzian film festival in Orlando about three years ago. There was an excellent 35mm print of "Masque of the Red Death" that was just barely turning color. (I think that was the title.)

Roger's stories of making films re-use discarded set pieces and costumes already existing at the studios were entertaining. His cost cutting measures are legendary.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 06:03 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce: MGM bought Orion in 1997, so MGM owns the American International library. Some 70's AIP titles are on video from MGM.

Theatrical might be a different matter. MGM was AFAIK able to come up with the original Australian version of Mad Max for the Film Forum (NYC) to show in winter 2000. On the other hand, the Film Forum had to go to Kit Parker for a restored 35mm print of Coffey in 1997.

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 05:54 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A.I.P. Many are coming out on DVD from MGM.They're in stores now.(And they sell really cheap! Mono sound however; Full screen picture also) Quality is good;when you think about how old they are.Enjoy!

------------------

Mitch Davis
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 08:50 AM      Profile for Mitch Davis   Email Mitch Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, most of the MGM discs are letterboxed to their proper aspect ratios. All the Corman Poes are, and PIT AND THE PENDULUM and FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER also have running commentary tracks from Corman (as does the non-Poe classic X THE MAN WITH X RAY EYES!

As far as I know, MGM does own North American theatrical on the AIP pictures.

Mitch

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 11:20 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the education. What is the chance that I saw "Beach Party" on VHS several years ago from Warner Home Video? Maybe that is where I got the idea that WB now had them.

I'm sure that these titles are not seen too often in 35mm. Too bad. I know they'd look alot better in a theatre than on DVD and TV.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 05:07 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Beach Party" movies are on DVD from MGM, in widescreen and pretty cheap. I bought "Foxy Brown" for $10 which has a director's commentary track and the quality of the film presentation is good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: