Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Free Candy Bar or Free Movie?

Author Topic: Free Candy Bar or Free Movie?
Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:04 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when has it become more of a crime to steal a $0.50 candy bar than it is to sneak into a film? A gentleman and his girlfriend, both of which I have known for a few years, decided to be 13 again and tried to sneak into a movie. When stopped by an usher they decided to ignore my employee and keep on going... so the usher got me. I talked it over with the couple and explained to them that they had to leave and everything else. In the middle of my explanation he asked me what I was going to lose by them watching the movie? I don't need to dignify that question with a response because it is obvious that I am providing a service to patrons and I can't let everyone in for free otherwise there will be no money to pay bills... well that got me thinking. If I went into a grocery store and filled $16 worth of groceries in a basket and tried to walk out, what would happen? Or if I was to go to Best Buy and try to walk away without paying for a DVD? The police would probably be called and chances are I would be arrested under theft charges. Now if I called the police because someone snuck into a movie then I highly doubt they would do anything because it is considered less of a crime even though they involve theft. Can someone clue me in on why this double standard exists? Is it because more people have snuck into movies than those that have stolen candy bars, or is it OK to feel no guilt about stealing something nowadays? Are we as a society at fault because we let this errant behavior continue? Perhaps I take my job too seriously, but I annoyed by people who will freeload for their entire lives.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:18 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the difference is because many people see the theft of non-tangible goods and services differently than theft of tangible goods. If you steal something and don't have anything in your hands to show for it, people think about it differently. If someone steals a candy bar, they have a candy bar and whoever they stole it from has one less candy bar. If someone sneaks into a movie, if nobody caught them doing it, the theatre would not be aware of any loss. A person who sees a movie, either by buying a ticket or by sneaking in, has nothing (material) when they leave.

I'm not saying that this analysis is a justification for theft of any kind of services, but it is probably the reason that the two types of theft are treated differently.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:23 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a documentary about juvenile crime a while back and a saw a kid on there say (I'm not making this up) "If you don't want to be robbed, you shouldn't have nice things" How can you deal with this type of mentality? More capital punishment? (Won't deter them but it will get them off the streets). If "The children are our future" I'd say there's trouble ahead.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:57 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Police Officers in our theatres and usually we have the officer explain to them that they are Stealing Services and this is the possible punishment. How it fans out from there usually depends on the attitude of the person but they are kicked out for the day.

Paul

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 11:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have prosecuted for "Theft of Service" before. It carries the exact same penalties as shoplifting.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 02:11 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you call the police and indicate you wish to file a complaint, they should, depending on the laws of your state, cite them or arrest them...

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theft of Services can also include prosecuting the morons who throw their bags of trash in your dumpster just because it's there. I've caught people twice and the police were called. As far as someone bypassing the box office and just walking into an auditorium because they don't feel it's a tangible product, that would take gonads the size of grapefruits, and yes, I would press charges.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local PD gave us some citizens' arrest forms allowing us to put the offense of sneaking into a movie on the person's record. The threat of this has worked really well. We haven't had a person sneak in for about four months now.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2001 07:15 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this can be related to MP3 music. If I download a tune that I like, lets says a recent song that is in the top 10,i feel less guilty that i would if i walked into a music shop and nicked the CD single.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: