Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Which POS do you use or Tix & Conc. ?

Author Topic: Which POS do you use or Tix & Conc. ?
Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for software and hardware that for work well in a small single screener. Or would you just go the old fashion route? I would like reporting and such on the PC, but could do the paperwork without it. All the places I have worked at don't use computers for POS (local small indoors and some drive-ins) so I don't have any first hand knowlage of what's out there. I have been on the net looking, but screen shots and descriptions alone aren't enough to make an informed decision. Here's my wish/needs list:

Touch Screen
Easy to Read/Use
Stable
Don't cost a fortune

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. If anyone could help point me in the right direction or give any help, i'd be thankful.

--Thanks in Advance
--Chris

|  IP: Logged

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the touch-screen units quite pricey? I was told that ones made by Radiant Systems that I have seen in a Chic-Fil-A around town cost upwards of US$10,000 per unit. What I have seen that have possibility for large/small houses would be a cash register designed by Casio (I am sure there are others, too) that are hooked up in a network and report everything to one centralized PC. This elimiates X/Z/XX/ZZ tapes all together. As for tickets, some systems designed by Crane-Atlanta I've heard are relatively good. Good luck!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 3 of us catering to the lower to middle price range. Each system has its good points and each is designed from a different aspect.

I like to make a sale now and then, but truthfully, what you want is overkill for a theatre that size.

For a small single screen you are probably better off with a cast off automaticket, a cheap cash register, and an old PC with Star Office loaded for the spreadsheet reporting capabilities. Spend a few hours learning how to make templates, and you'll be fine. Anyone running a single or twin is usually looking for something to do to keep from being bored out of their skull. Been there/done that.

Anyway, the systems are Tim Harvey Ticketing at www.TheatreSupport.com (I need to update the site, but I've got programming to do first.)
Sensible Cinema is Rusty Gordon's system. www.SensibleCinema.com
Ready Software is Bob Chabot's system. I forget his web address, anyone got it? I think Rob's software has touch screen capabilities.

Email me if you want more info. I try not to push my software on the forums.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 11:10 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ready Theatre Systems makes an excellent product
I forget thier website though I would reccomend this system

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2001 09:17 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ready Theatre Systems
www.rts-solutions.com

We have all the capabilities you are looking for, as Jerry stated above there are three low cost solutions in the marketplace, you should look at each and see which one best fits your needs.

Greg Borr
RTS

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 01:51 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sean, RTS does make an excellent product. We use RTS at my 3 screener for box office and they have everything you want. Personally I wouldn't suggest a touch screen though, it can be really pricey. We use RTS off a regular computer keyboard and it works fine and is easy to use.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 03:51 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the help. The cinema in need of this is a little ways off. That gives us plenty of time to evaluate our needs.

--Chris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: