Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Rules for theatre managers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Rules for theatre managers
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-04-2001 07:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. If you decide to change showtimes, move a print, or not move a print, or otherwise decide to change the schedule from what it was originally supposed to be, please tell the projectionist.

2. If you follow rule #1, it usually works best if you tell the projectionist _before_ he has threaded up and started films in the "wrong" houses or at the "wrong" times because he only had a copy of the original schedule.

3. If you don't follow rules #1 or #2, don't come into the booth screaming and hit the "stop" buttons for the houses whose schedules have changed. This tends to surprise and annoy the projectionist when he is inspecting film at the rewind bench.

4. If you don't follow rules #1, #2, and #3 and the projectionist has to fix a problem caused by _your_ screw-up and tells you that doing so will take 10-15 minutes, don't immediately tell your customers that things will be fixed in "no more than five minutes."

5. If you don't follow rules #1, #2, #3, and #4, don't try to "help" the projectionist fix things by mis-threading something, changing the wrong lenses, or inserting aperture plates upside-down. This tends to either damage film or create more work for the projectionist or both.

(End of rant. Sorry.)

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-04-2001 08:14 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Hopefully your manager is still alive.

Good post should be drilled into management staff.

Anyone entering booth should have to announce themselves when projector's are running. Including management. It's for their own safety.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2001 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
#6 Don't make a show schedule without OKing it with the projectionist. You could be making foolish mistakes like putting a SRD only print into a DTS only house whereas flipping two prints on the schedule would mean that both prints would play in digital and the seat count would not be altered. This is also important for things like double-ups where one particular platter only has two functioning decks working and the projectionists are waiting for a part.

#7 Do not allow anyone in the booth except for management. Projectionist don't think it is very funny when someone from the floor staff comes into the booth and grabs them from behind yelling "GOTCHA!" when the projectionist is changing out a xenon lamp or has their hands inside a moving machine adjusting or checking something.

#8 In the event of downtime, do not repeatedly call the projectionist every 30 seconds on the radio saying "is it fixed yet?" This will only double the time it takes for the task to be repaired for half of the projectionist's time will be spent replying and not repairing.

#9 Should the power or fire alarm go off, do not run into the booth and restart the projectors. Many times the film will "jump the track" and your restarting it could end up damaging the remainder of that print.

#10 Did you read rule #5? NEVER try and "help" the projectionist unless he/she specifically requests it. You will almost always cause more problems and/or a damaged print.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 05:57 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's ironic that Scott posted his rules today. Just yesterday I had a manager inform me just minutes before a show of Cats & Dogs that we were canceling that show to interlock Rush Hour 2. I almost threaded and started the wrong show. We've already had a ton of schedule changes and print moves this weekend and the weekend is not over yet. And we have to manually set the masking in most of our auditoriums which makes things even more fun.

It has been my experience that the projectionist is always the last person to know what movies are playing and where they are playing.

I have a couple of rules too:

# 11. Don't yell at the projectionist about a problem that he/she informed you about months ago that you were too cheap to get fixed.

# 12. Don't wait until the picture on screen is pitch black or flickering violently before you order new lamps.

# 13. Follow ALL of Scott and Brad's rules to the letter.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 06:51 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You all have me in stitches.

Bless the manager out. Threaten to call the D.M. directly. Any manager worth his or her salt will apologize and fly right. We are all in it together, and a good manager doesn't want any of this any more than you do.

Send any complaining managers to me. (I'm looking for an "evil grin" smilie.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple:

#14. The booth is not a breakroom. Please don't put the breakroom in the booth or make it necessary for employees to walk through the booth to get to the breakroom.

#15. Don't get angry if the projectionist cannot hear you clearly on the walkie. There is a lot of noise coming from projectors and the projectionist is not always in a position to hear you clearly the first time.

I of course agree with everyone else's rules thus far as well.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2001 11:05 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow for a minute there I thought I was in the wrong place. This is the Ground Level for Management, Owners and Staff isn't it? I don't know who runs your theaters I will speak for the managers who not only do our jobs but also:

Thread and start all projectors for every set.

Maintain said projectors by cleaning gates,platters, rollers, lubricating gates rollers etc. changing worn belts and misc. parts when needed.

Changing Xennon bulbs when needed.

Making sure that we have adequate spare parts as well as ques splicing tape etc.

Making up and breaking down films each week (Thursdays).

Shipping old trailers back to the individual film companies.

Oh and this one is for you Brad... I am the one who makes sure that the projectionist (Booth/Ushers) are actually using Film Guard and it is not just sitting on the shelf.

I could go on but I think that you get the general idea. So I think that I know where I am comming from when I do the showclock every week or when I decide to move prints to a bigger/smaller house or decide to interlock prints. Thank you very much.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some managers are very, very good. Unfortunately others are control freaks and/or just don't quite understand the projection room.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 02:30 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that all managers should run the projection booth as a projectionist sometime in their career. Not as a manager running a booth, but as a PROJECTIONIST running a booth. I was a projectionist myself for 9 years of my theatre career and I am the better for it. I even helped with installs as well. This has enlightened me in such a way that it has influenced my decisions on house placements, sound formats, showtimes, trailer placements and etc. I am a very hands on manager when it comes to my projection booth and the boys keep me in the loop as well because of this. Unfortunately, there are quite a few managers in my company as well as all of the other chains out there that seem to keep their distance from the booth which I think is borderline criminal activity.
The good news is that Regal is taking a very proactive stance in training all operators and managers in the booth and is going as far to have a certification process as well.

OK...I need to get off my soapbox now...whew.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one:

Do not allow non-booth personnel to use your tools. You will not likely see them again.

We keep a combo lock on our toolbox for a reason.

In an emergency situation recently, I did allow a manager to borrow a screwdriver, but he had to leave his watch with me as collateral. Incidently, if he didn't have a watch, his wallet would have sufficed. BTW, I got my screwdriver back, and promptly, too.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The good news is that Regal is taking a very proactive stance in training all operators and managers in the booth and is going as far to have a certification process as well.

That is great news. Major Kudos to Regal on this one. Some problems in local theatres in my area has been due to operators not receiving the proper training. One booth person at one point said, "They put me up there without me knowing much." Out-of-frame splices and misframings were very common during that time, too.

Regal needs to implement a better quality checking and control system as well to seek out problems and fix them. A good system is to train some users to notice the most common types of problems (focus, alignment, shutter ghosting, misframing, etc.) and each showing checked by someone twice during each showing and have them report any problem they notice (even minor ones) so they can be corrected. One theatre in my area uses this technique and as no surprise, they have the best presentation quality.

I take it that many of the rules posted in the early part of this thread assume that the manager is not an experienced projector operator. At least one of the managers in my area is a very knowledgeable, qualified operator and used to be involved in training projectionists. Are technically knowledgeable managers a rarity in theatres these days? By the sound of these rules that y'all posted, it surely sounds like it.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2001 06:50 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great!

I sent the 'rules for customers' to my cinema last week, and we all had a good laugh about the common problems. This one is so true though.

So many times i've walked in and threaded all machines only to be told after i saunter back downstairs "Oh yeah, were swapping 1 and 2 for this show"!!!

Argghhh!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-08-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1191 days since the last post.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#15. Don't get angry if the projectionist cannot hear you clearly on the walkie. There is a lot of noise coming from projectors and the projectionist is not always in a position to hear you clearly the first time.
This one always gets me...whenever I'm upstairs and have to ask someone to repeat what they've said, they think I'm hard of hearing or something. They dont get how much noise is going on around you, especially if you're standing by a projector or going around checking sound levels. Grrr...

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#16: Don't just radio up the projectionist and say "check number 14". Please give details on what is wrong. If a customer requests a sound check, ask them to describe the problem before calling the projectionist.

#17: If you're a floor-staffer, never direct a customer to a projectionist who happens to be walking by at the moment. Most of the time it ends up being a complaint about ad content or scheduling, which a projectionist cannot give out passes or properly resolve the situation like a manager can. That's what managers are good for. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: