Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Public Service Annoucements / Commercials (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Public Service Annoucements / Commercials
Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 02:50 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you play some sort of PSA before/during trailers? How many play commercials of the latest car or M&M on the market? For some odd reason they've appeared and I'm annoyed by them. The PSAs could serve a real purpose to a captive audience so I'm all for those. Its the commercials that get me. Technically trailers are commercials but I'm talking about a regular 60 second spot from automakers displaying the newest vehicle. I don't understand how companies can do this--the customer pays $8 to see a film and the next thing they are watching is two or three minutes of commercial programming. Why don't they just stay home and watch NBC? HBO charges $10.95/month and they are commercial free. I understand the financial bind but this is getting ridiculous. Next thing you know we'll start having them at the reel changes (just kidding). Anyone agree/disagree?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2001 05:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre where I currently work occasionally show Jimmy Fund PSAs in the summer, plus a couple of minutes' worth (currently about 3:00) of NCN commercials. I can live with the Jimmy Fund ad, since it's a really good charity, but I really, really hate the stupid NCN ads. And this is at a theatre that charges $8.75 for tickets and also subjects its customers to Movie Tunes and advertising slides before the film.

Oh, and there's also a fair amount of self-promotional theatre junk (gift certificates, etc.) and a Fandango (movie times web site) trailer.

Grr.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 10 years ago we had a free trial for cable TV, and I was shocked to find that HBO had started putting voice-overs on the end credits of their movies, announcing what was coming up next. (Needless to say, we chose NOT to subscribe.) I've heard it's since gotten even worse, they now squish the credits to half the screen so they can run promos on the other half, like they do on network TV now. As long as nobody figures out how to break into the end credits of movies to show ads or trailers, the theaters are still better off than HBO (which stands for "Hey, Beastmaster's On!")

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2001 12:47 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to regard commercials as evil. Then I learned the Brits have done it since the 50's. On each side of the pond there's a reason why: UK theaters because the BBC does not run adverts, US theaters because they need the money.

Ironically, UA Union Square in NYC has run commercials/PSAs with the features though not on my last 2-3 visits.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-25-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Figured I'd float this one back to the top with an article that ran in today's (Oscar Day)
Los Angeles Times Business Section: Coming Distractions

A question for our European Film-Tech'ers: Are commercials in movie theatres "commonplace" as this article states?

Paul
Unemployed mercenary film/video projectionist/engineer
"Film is art, television is furniture."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK you will typically see 5-10 minutes of commercials at the start of a cinema presentation. In prestigious city centre venues they can sometimes be even longer (which really annoys me, given that the tickets are more expensive). They are supplied by one of two agencies which operate in this area, are on 35mm and the reels are changed weekly. The agency pays the cinema for showing the adverts; I suspect the big chains can negotiate some pretty good deals, but from what I've heard advertising income for independents has dropped a lot in recent years (maybe Bernard might like to comment on this). A small number of arthouse and subsidised cinemas (e.g. the National Film Theatre in London) don't show them at all. Some of the advertising used to be for businesses in a cinema's locality, but now they're almost all for national and international products (I'd guess because of the cost of producing 35mm prints).

Trailers are usually shown between the adverts and the feature. In most of the cinemas I worked at, the 'bullshit reel' was between 10 and 15 minutes in total. Adverts were a real pain, because you had to edit them to cut out any individual adverts with a higher rating than the feature (basically, cut the alcohol adverts out of films with 15-certification or higher, plus the odd one for things like condoms).

Charles: I'm not entirely sure that a key reason why UK theatres run adverts is because BBC television doesn't. There are now five free terrestrial (analogue) TV channels in the UK, three of which run adverts. In addition virtually all the cable, satellite and digital channels show adverts as well. So it's not as if someone wanting to advertise their product on television is unable to do so because the slots aren't available and so is forced into the cinemas. I suppose this might have been a factor between 1946 and 1953, (i.e. when there was only BBC television, before commercial broadcasting had started) but cinema ads go back a lot earlier. In the film archive I work for, we have cinema adverts going back to 1924, and I've seen examples of 'product placement' in British films going back to 1901!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 03:01 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles:

It may be that the last couple of movies you saw were products of Buena Vista Distribution, who doesn't allow ads infront of their movies.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 04:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting - they're not able to impose that ban here. Uncle Walt's stuff gets adverts stuck on the front just like everything else. I did notice that the advert reels which showed before Buena Vista films often included commercials for Disney videos, though.

BTW, 'public service announcements' (i.e. government propaganda) sometimes come in the form of paid advertising in the usual reels. Anti drink-driving adverts are quite common around Christmas, and there was recently some government advertising in the cinema to publicise changes in pension legislation. There was also the famous 'AIDS - don't die of ignorance' publicity campaign in the 1980s.

The last time government films were shown by cinemas without payment came in 1941 when the Cinema Exhibitors' Association signed a deal with the wartime coalition government which allowed for one 5-minute film each month released by the Ministry of Information to be included as part of the normal cinema programme. This agreement survived beyond the war, and quite a few government films about increasing industrial productivity (e.g. the 'We Work or Want' campaign) and the need for austerity were shown this way during the late 40s. But the Conservative government which took power in 1951 did so on a ticket of cutting back on public spending, and the CEA was getting increasingly critical of what it saw as political propaganda rather than public service films, and the agreement was scrapped the following year (the CEA had also refused to allow films to be shown which had been broadcast on TV in 1949). Ever since, if the government has wanted to show its stuff in the cinemas, it has had to pay like everyone else.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 08:53 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

Buena Vista (Disney) lets you do it, just not on Walt Disney titles.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the USAF stationed in Bangkok Thailand in 1973-1975. Movie theaters there routinely ran 10-15 mins. of commercials before the feature, for such things as cars, condoms, and beer. They also sold tickets to specific seats: you chose your seats at the box office, kind of like buying tickets to a concert. And they had widely varying prices based on seat location in the theater.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-25-2002 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at (location removed), typically our prints are built like this:

1: Coca-Cola ad
2: occasionally an ad from someone like M&Ms, Christler, XM, Herbal Essences, etc...
3: PSA from "The Foundation for a Better Life"
4: REAL ACTUAL HONEST-TO-GOSH TRAILERS
5: The Feature

Currently in the 2 spot we are showing an ad for Fox Kids. It starts out like a movie trailer for a Power Rangers style kids movie. The kids in the theatre start squirming and shouting "Mommy - look there making a Galydor movie" - At the end of the "trailer" when the announcer says "Catch it Saturday Mornigs on Fox Kids" the audience erupts with laughter.

(modified 4-19-02 by Mike Olpin)

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 03:59 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We in OZ have had slide advertising in most cinemas since the early 30s, dureing the war there were the D.O.I films that were shown free
the early fiftys saw slide and film ads, Slides have been phased out pretty well now, very few running slides.

Some cinemas run upto 15/20 mins film ads & trailers before the show,
makes you feel that retirement was worth it (although forced)

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck is the "Foundation For A Better Life" anyway?
"If you can't do it all, do what you can- caring for others- pass it on!"

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo said,

The agency pays the cinema for showing the adverts; I suspect the big chains can negotiate some pretty good deals, but from what I've heard advertising income for independents has dropped a lot in recent years (maybe Bernard might like to comment on this).
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Actually our revenue has increased in the last two years, but I would say that it is fair comment that income for independents has dropped in recent years. When I signed the last 5 year contract my share was increased by 5%.

Jeff Akin
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Akin   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Akin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, the Foundation for a Better Life is owned by Phil Anschutz. That is why you'll see those trailers at the Edwards, UA, and Regal theatres.

I am afraid that 'rolling stock', as we've come to call it, is here to stay.

------------------
-----------
2 Time ICWF Champion

2 Time ICWF Hardcore Champion

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: