Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Globe Tickets closes!

Author Topic: Globe Tickets closes!
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 10:02 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just announced on our local television news tonight: Globe Ticket and Label in Tacoma, Washington will close after 53 years of business. 50 employees will be out of work soon.

This company is located only 30 miles north of me. Every Automaticket machine I've ever seen in a theater has had Globe Tickets loaded in the magazine. They will be missed.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 11:52 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ticket stock manufacture is a tight business without a large margin except on the glamour tickets like Concert tickets and pro sports event tickets. While I regret Globe going under, the market probably was and is over-saturated. Their demise may help National, WW&L, Mercury and others breathe just a little easier.

Raise a glass in honor of their passing.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-22-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a plant closing or is Globe going out of business? We ordered six months supply of tickets Friday July 20 and were told that shipment would be in a few days.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 11:33 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what the news reports on KING-tv5 said, it was the company going out of business. They didn't say when the company was closing---just soon.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-23-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Globe start in the ticket business? I've found box office reports with bags of stubs attached dated late 20's in the attic. Who else makes tickets for Automaticket machines? We are still using 2 three bay machines that are at least 55 years old.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-24-2001 06:51 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked their web site, it indicates a merger with another company and an expanded product line and additional services with sales in excess of $75 million.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2001 11:03 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That merger was announced Jan of 2000 according to the website. (1868 was the starting date, BTW)

Just guessing, but it sounds like the company had financial problems and the merger was a band-aid. Stock tickets are a commodity for most circuits and if Globe depended heavily on these, it is an old story.

National, WW&F, and Mercury all have more agressive salespeople. I regularly gets calls from each, but hadn't heard from Globe for at least five years.

James Cox
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2001 08:44 AM      Profile for James Cox   Email James Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Talked to my Globe ticket representitive and they are closing the Tacoma and Atlanta plant. My rep's name is Sonny Sams and he has been with Globe over 30 years. They will continue to operate their Pennsylvania plant. For automaticket users another good source for tickets is Premier Southern at 800-624-4163.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-25-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I have told you this story before click off and go to another thread.

Back in the mid sixties everyone used an automaticket machine. Our theatre checking service kept telling me that the Hippodrome theatre in Baltimore was selling out. Well since our B.O. Statements did not show sellouts, so the second weekend I went to Baltimore to check the theatre.

Across from the Hippodrome was a sleezy hotel, the type you can rent by the minute. So I rented a room overlooking the marquee and box office of the theatre. I pulled a chair up to the dirty window, tool out my handy people counter clicker and waited for sales to the next show to begin.

I watched and clicked as the patrons entered the theatre, the Hippodrome had(I could be wrong) 4000 seats. A big house with balcony, mezzanine and loge.

Well, ladies and gentleman, an usher appeared saying the next Show was sold out. Well according to my calculation they still had PLENTY of seats.

So, guess who went to the movies and pulled a ticket audit. Yes GM even did that in those days. And no I am not an accountant.

Well to make a long story a little shorter. I purchased my tickets from National. My manager purchased his tickets from the other major ticket supplier. Then he spliced into the National Tickets two for me and one for him.

Caught, Prosecuted and in 1966...15 years. Passed away 12 years later. Do I feel bad? Absolutely not.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2001 07:38 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now with blank tickets for the thermal ticket machines, the skimming can be even easier. No telling how many got away with scams like this.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2001 12:41 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Globe is not going out of business, as one poster already mentioned. THey are, however, consolidating operations. MOst likely, in order to maintain a healthier P/R and simplify purchasing/distribution.

Just my .02. Oh, and btw, looks like I wasn't too far of base with my summer blockbuster predictions several weeks ago...

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: