Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Do you work for the "Phantom" Philip Anschutz, yet?

Author Topic: Do you work for the "Phantom" Philip Anschutz, yet?
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article in USAToday about how Philip Anschutz is directing three different investment groups in buying up cinemas. Article seems to think this takeover scheme will take us into the digital age. Hmmmm!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/columns/lieber/2001-07-09-lieber.htm

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2001 10:16 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And while I'm ranting.....

Has it occured to anyone that those in the theater business are promoting their own demise? Think about this...

We have digital projection that is no better than computer resolution.

We have dvds that will provide movies on computers.

A dvd costs $20 and can be viewed an infinite amount of times for that same amount.

We have home sound systems that are better than a lot of theaters.

When film is replaced by digital projection why on earth would I go to a theater and pay $8-$10 when I can stay home and get the same thing for less money (per viewing)?

Hey theater owners and proponents of DLP, wake up! You are handing the studios the knife to cut your own throat!

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-10-2001 06:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is who in the hell wants to go to a movie theater and watch a freaking lakers game. That's what the t.v. I have at home is for. Plus I don't have to pay to watch it, and if the game becomes boring i can turn it off. Using movie theaters for anything other than movies is stupid. I don't want to watch a concert there. I'll go to the real venue for that. I don't want to watch sporting events there. I want to watch movies there. Who knows what five or ten years is going to be like in our industry. We may all be dead then. Let's worry about today and get as many people as we can to start and keep doing FILM RIGHT!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2001 06:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Joe and I do not work for Phillip Anschmuck (or whatever his name is) yet. I sent him my résumé today so hopefully he'll call me tomorrow. Even if I am the guy who removes the streaks from his underwear, I would be honored just to work for Phil!

Just kidding, of course.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-10-2001 06:48 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, This is Phillip Anschultz speaking through my alter ego. You know me as Bob Maar. If you truely want to work for me then come to my house. Do not call, ring the bell and walk in. The the man servant you are there to see me and he should get out of the way. I want you to work for me.

Phillip, you can call me "Phil"!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2001 07:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a laugh about computors! Yes, they can be a great tool. But remember, they are a tool! Too many people are brain-dead today without a computer in front of them!

Duh! Video projection and DVD! ! It is simply a matter of being a craftsman and knowing how to properly care for and operate equipment!

Ya, technology can be great, but many of todays products lack quality!

Some jokes for Bob Maar:

Oh how technology is recycled! I love how automakers have discovered multi valved overhead cam engines! Gee Whiz, didn't the Deusenberg Brothers do that with the Model J in the late 1920s?!

What is DTS--an upgraded takeoff of Sound On Disc?!

I love many of the young kids comming into the machine tool trade today. Their favorite saying is that nothing can be done without C.N.C. Well, if thats the case, how were high precision parts made a hundred years ago before C.N.C.?! C.N.C. only decreases the time to manufacture a part, and this statement is only relative and not always true! I have held better tolorance on an old Craftsman/Atlas Lathe than on a new "high-tech" machine!

Should I ramble on some more about today's great "technology", that is not really new, but recycled?!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Damn Will, you so funny!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, At least I try to be.....even if I bomb. Hell, at least I am not as bad as Letterman or Conan!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just teasin' ya, Will. You should see Bob Maar tease me. He's askin' for it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: