Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal Cinemas bans New Line product

Author Topic: Regal Cinemas bans New Line product
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2001 11:45 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story from today's Hollywood Reporter online edition:

"Several leading exhibition chains are protesting a move by New Line Cinema to join the growing list of distributors who seek to negotiate 'firm terms' on film rentals before a movie is released. The strongest opposition is coming from the nation's largest circuit, Regal Cinemas, which will refuse to screen New Line's upcoming releases 'Rush Hour 2' and 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,' according to sources outside the company. New Line began contacting exhibitors this week, informing them that it will move to fixed rental terms on all of its releases, beginning with 'Rush Hour 2,' which opens Aug. 3. The AOL Time Warner-owned mini-major's corporate stablemate Warner Bros. made the switch to the firm-term model with the release of 'Angel Eyes' last month. That move meant that a majority of major Hollywood studios -- Warner, Fox, DreamWorks, Universal and Sony -- now seek to negotiate film rental terms ahead of movie release. Other studios, including Paramount, Disney and MGM, continue to negotiate rental conditions as films come out of theaters -- a model most exhibitors prefer but studios increasingly portray as cumbersome and inefficient."

Regal has banned certain pictures in the past (Galaxy Quest, Ghost Dog, The Ninth Gate) over terms. Given the fact that Regal is on the verge of a Chapter 11 filing, could this be a genuine threat over terms or an excuse for Regal to avoid paying film rentals?

After all, Rush Hour 2 is a sequel to a major hit and The Lord of the Rings is the most anticipated Xmas release.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2001 01:11 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmmmmm what ever they want to do. Maybe this means we will be busy at our theater when the movie comes out. Way to go regal keep up the good work. if there are anymore films you don't want go for it.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 03:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Cinemark didn't play Evolution in any of it's theatres because of negotiations with Dreamworks; but we they did play Shrek and AI...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 09:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the terminology is correct the didn't ban it they chose not to show it big difference

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 10:28 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen: A.I. is a Warner Bros. title.

Gordon: Regal has theaters all over the USA, thus their anti-New Line stance amounts to a chainwide ban. If Regal had a really hardball attitude on terms they wouldn't have opened A.I.

As it stands in my area the Regal ban on New Line will only benefit Loews and AMC

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were a ban, we would've been told to remove all promotional material, and told that we're not carrying it. So far we have heard nothing. This is how they dealt with Artisan earlier this year, but it's not how they're handeling it now. I'll keep you posted if Regal then chooses to 'ban' it, but right now we haven't heard anything.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be true, we were told yesterday that the regal in town would not be playing Rush Hour 2 they play everything that comes out.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly enough, 'Rush Hour 2' was not on the advanced booking notification sent to my cinema by the home office in Knoxville. Just about every other movie in late July and August was on that piece of paper. I guess its true... although no one has asked for any of the promotional materials to be taken down so perhaps they are still trying to strike a deal.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
Check your email...I have sent you some info regarding this. Unfortunately, I cannot speak about it here. If you want you can contact me at theatre #840

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I am waiting to see, is when over 1/2 of the screens in the US are owned by one entity.

Would it damage the studios, or the exhibitor? Tough to say.

Jesse Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Regal will change there minds on the next films from NewLine?

Jesse

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2001 01:45 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update on this Rush Hour 2 topic... Regal Cinemas is definitely not showing the film according to the bookings for this coming week.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to EDI Rush Hour 2 had a $143K+ opening weekend at the Loews in New Brunswick NJ. That Loews megaplex has its main competition in two Regal megaplexes 5 miles north and 5 miles south. People who would have seen Rush Hour 2 in a Regal went to Loews instead.

Last Saturday I was at the Regal in New Roc City (New Rochelle NY). Only 2 movies sold out when I was there -- The Fast and the Furious and The Others. Regal booked Brother to help fill the hole caused by the chain's ban on New Line product. A total of 4 people (myself included) were in the 7 PM show of Brother.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: