Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » IMAX,..no, Giant Screen...no, Ultrascreen!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: IMAX,..no, Giant Screen...no, Ultrascreen!!!
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the local commercial Imax (at a Marcus theatre) has temporarily stopped showing large format films. They ran PEARL HARBOR under the name A GIANT SCREEN EXPERIENCE, and today they opened TOMB RAIDER with the ULTRASCREEN name. I believe this is a name other Marcus theatres use for large screens in conventional settings.

There was also a THX logo on the line with ULTRASCREEN, but I don't really think the IMAX room is THX certified. They may have just moved this logo over from some of their other sites. There are 6 other THX certified rooms at this location.

I've been told they will run 35mm in there for most of the summer. I'm not surprised, as the last two large format films I saw in there had only my family and me as customers! I've had 4 "private screenings" there over the years.

Mark Lensenmayer

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 02:52 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious -- When they run standard 35mm flat or scope movies in the IMAX auditorium, do they show the movie in the correct aspect ratio and mask the screen appropriately? I don't imagine a 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 movie projected, centered on a huge 4:3 screen looking very good.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I'm not sure if all IMAX theaters do it the same way, but the Sony Metreon in San Francisco has a practice of just showing the 2.39:1 image in the middle of the screen without any masking. There is a lot of empty space above and below the picture. They don't try to fill the entire width of the screen, so there is a little bit of empty space on the sides as well. Once the lights go down, the theater is dark enough so that the empty parts of the screen are not distracting. (They do a good job at keeping stray light off the screen.)

The aspect ratio seems to be correct. In fact, since there is no chance of masking cutting off part of the picture, I'd say you're actually better guaranteed of a correct aspect ratio with that type of setup than in a regular theater.

I don't know what wattage of lamp they are using, but the image is pretty bright. Not the brightest I've ever seen, but bright enough to where I won't complain. Overall, it's actually a very nice presentation.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A flat movie could probably be run on an IMAX screen if it is run with an Academy Frame aperature plate and the film has been shot full frame with no gaffs in the picture. The ratio should be pretty darn close to the IMAX screen.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-15-2001 05:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you are not sujesting filling the whole IMAX screen 35mm will not withstand that much magnification

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-15-2001 06:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't be able to get enough light to the screen without toasting your 35mm print. Thos screens should be used for one thing and one thing only that is an Imax presentation. Now if you were able to obtain a print of a film in 70mm It might work better. But we know where the industry stands on that.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 04:05 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, I did fail to remember that part...I guess you would need an incredible amount of light to spread over an IMAX screen. Anyhoo, I never worked with IMAX. I did however had the chance to work with 70mm for a short bit for the remainder of the run of Aliens in 1986. God, I hated moving that print.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Las Vegas, NV

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They project 35mm at the Imax here in bradford. They actually show 35mm adverts before an imax feature. Just a small 1.85:1 image centered on the screen. I went recently and noticed that that the edges of the image badly faded, and also the horizontal curve of the screen can be noticed.

They also sometimes show 35mm features in there. They were running "Best in Show" in there a while back and they have had some bollywood screenings in there (probably 35mm).

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 02:44 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark --

Yes for the Summer I believe Marcus is planning on showing conventional 35MM prints on their 2 Imax screens under the ULTRASCREEN banner (They have 2 other ULTRASCREENS in Milwaukee and Madison that only show 35MM). Both of the IMAX theatres (Columbus and Addison) have separate 35MM projectors for this capability.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-16-2001 03:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the IMAX theatres I have delt with that also have conventional 35 (and 5/70) cabability....only a portion of the IMAX screen is used and the 35/70 pictures are in their proper ratio.

I'm doing one in TN next month and the 35 Scope picture will be over 80 feet wide though not as wide as the screen. The 70mm picture will almost fill the width of the screen though. For Flat, not even close in either direction...the 1.85 and Scope pictures will have similar heights. We will be using 7000 watt lamps. For an example of the system, check out the Indianapolis IMAX 3-D pictures here is the gallery. The setup will be quite similar (and proven viable!).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2001 03:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the pictures of Ontario Place Cinesphere you will see how we installed 2 dp70's one on each side of the IMAX with 7K Ultra80's
THe screen is 84x60'
the cs image is 79' wide
the 1.66 flat is 70' wide
and 70mm is 82' wide
The CP200 feeds the sonics system with extra amps and speakers for Lc and Rc as well as an array of JBL surrounds

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-16-2001 08:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Inside.com has this to say about it:
http://www.inside.com/jcs/Story?article_id=33076&pod_id=10

What I want to know is (and I think this question may have been posed once before) what the heck are they doing to "enhance" these prints? Modified for longer throws? Oh, come on ...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-17-2001 09:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the IWERKS 3d theatre at Ontario Mills be the first to use the name UltraScreen Theatre and if my memory is right there was a little R in a cicle after it.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 10:42 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like in the article that the print is being transfered to IMAX stock film to run on the IMAX projectors. I just get the feeling that the may end up looking grainy from getting blown up from 35mm unless the original masters of the movie were shot at 70mm. Then again, who am I to know this? This sounds like a JP question.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Las Vegas, NV

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-17-2001 11:01 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The impression I got from the article was that they were using a different printing process on the "enhanced" prints to make them look better. Or maybe they're just printing a bunch of "answer prints" instead of using the dupe neg. There's absolutely no way that they're blowing them up to 15/70.

<rant>
This brings me to another big gripe of mine. These large format theaters should be installing 5/70 equipment in their booths, not these damn Christies. If the studios want to spend money "enhancing" prints, make their "enhanced" prints 70mm blowups and start distributing 70mm again. I mean, if you're gonna do multiple inventories anyway, you might as well do it right.
</rant>

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: