Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » *THE* summer blockbuster(s) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: *THE* summer blockbuster(s)
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So who's taking what film? My bet is on Dolittle 2. American Pie & Scary Movie 2 will be bombs versus their originals, IMO.

Tomb Raider should do OK. Atlantis will do decently, but not as well as SHREK.

Planet of the Apes I don't see as doing a ton of business. There are too many folks out there who don't care for Tim Burton... and for what I remember, films copped' from TV shows don't do spectacular business..

Jurassic needs to be hyped a little more if they expect it to fly (no pun intended), and I *still* don't expect anything huge out of it...

I think that Rush Hour 2 will be a good draw, and possibly The Fast & Furious due to the wildly popular import drag scene. I think these two will have great cross over appeal and should do good.. maybe not HUGE.. but good none the less...
Yep, looks like slim pickin's for this summer. If box office records are up, as they have said each year for the last HOW many years, it'll be a result of higher admissions.....

Anyone else care to share an opinion? BTW, I posted in Ground Level because this is all in a manager's opinion... Just remember folks, you read it here first... LOL..

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-12-2001 01:56 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need something with legs.

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 02:30 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
American Pie should do well I think, assuming they did a good job on it. There were just so many possabilities to go with in the sequel.

Dolittle seems boring and silly to the point of apathy in the desire to watch it.

Planet of the Apes is not derived from a TV show, but from the book. I think it will do quite a bit of business. Personally, I can't wait to see it.

I agree Rush Hour will be good, but I would be offended if The Fast and the Furious did well. Silly 80's movie moderninzed with new cars.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2001 02:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda scary...the only movies people have been asking about for this summer are Pearl, Mummy and Shrek. Hope the sequels do something!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2001 04:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Planet of the Apes was six theatrical movies, The T.V. show came later.

I think if Apes is done well it can do well. The R-rated Sleepy Hollow did well.

Dolittle has the potential to do good business because it is carrying a PG rating.

A.I. is a question mark. Spielberge Is a plus.

Jurassic Park III does not need major hype. Tell the kids there is another dinosaur movie and look out. It is opening on a wednesday. If the film gets good reviews i will do well.

possable sleeper hit will be The princess Diaries. Been getting posative responses on the trailer.

Rush hour 2 should do well but how well will depend on reviews and word of mouth for the second weekend.

American sweetheart has potential to have good legs.

After seeing tv spots for Atlantis I am looking more positive at it's potential. Should do better than the Dinosaur movie that came out last year.

Cats and Dogs I have a feeling will get creamed by all the other kid films that will be out.

Scary movie 2 may have a good opening but word of mouth will not be good and it will flat out die after it's second week.

I think this summer still looks better than last summer with films. Question is has ticket prices in some areas gotten so out of hand that nobody wants to go to the movies? Just have to wait and see.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 04:58 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first "Dr. Dolittle" with Eddie Murphy was one of the worst movies in recent memory, all I can say is "Why a sequel?" I've already seen "Fast and the Furious" and it's just plain silly.
I remember a few months ago someone saying a theater had put on their marquee "Closed until better movies come out"?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 05:04 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doolitle 2 will have a huge opening weekend and then drop off by more than 50% the next. I think that A.I. will have an okay opening, say in the 20 million dollar range (hey, this is summer, that is only okay), but will have very long legs. If American Pie 2 lives up to the trailer on Evolution it will be huge. I think that Final Fantasy also has potential-unlike Titan AE, which I thought would bomb from the first time I saw a trailer of it.

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 12:01 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more I think about Atlantis, the more I think it has a chance to do well into it's third week and beyond. I hear many adults that are interested in it. I think it will out-do Doolittle 2.
I agree about Princess Diaries. Trailer seems to be playing well.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 05:32 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't underestimate A.I. Stanley Kubrick always wanted to do that movie and it'll be interesting to see whether the Kubrickphiles take heart to Spielberg.

If any of your picks fall short there are quite a few arthouse titles with mainstream/megaplex potential: The Anniversary Party, Sexy Beast, The Crimson Rivers, Brother, Apocalypse Now Redux Care to go skiing on the Mekong?

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2001 04:01 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, you forgot CHOPPER.
I wanna see CHOPPER.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2001 04:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully A.I. will be better than Pinocchio and Bicentennial Man. Both of those movies were about fake people wanting to be real. I'm not a Kubrik fan (The Shining was entertaining, though).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A.I. is getting huge hype from Time magazine. To AOL Time Warner corporate synergy is more important than reporting news

The Anniversary Party and Sexy Beast just opened in NY suburbs -- but not in any New Jersey megaplexes The product jam coming up means I may have to go into Manhattan for them.

James R: Chopper was a spring release with no mainstream potential.

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2001 04:31 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm jumping into this a little late, but I think Shrek will be the biggest grosser, even tho it came out before Memorial Day. Scary Movie 2 will probably be one of the "Grossest" movies this summer, but I think it will do better than American Pie 2. I have a feeling American Sweethearts will flop.

I am betting on Jurassic Park 3 and Planet of the Apes for big opening grosses. But I fear both will fizzle out significantly faster than their...um...ancestors?

I just want to see Jurassic Park 3 beat out Spielberg's A.I.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2001 05:34 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TOMB RAIDER will be the most selling I believe.
AI is a question mark.
Jurassic Park III - Gone too much . It won't do the job it is expected to do.
American Pie 2 - Definately Sell
Scary Movie 2 - OF COURSE
Rush Hour 2 - Anyone who does not think this movie will work is not right in the brain!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2001 11:11 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know I'm late but....
Jurassic Park 3- Hard to do anything new with the series
(besides new toys...)- it'll die out
Planet of the Apes- The kids will love it, but just like the Psycho
remake, the people who have seen Charlton Heston
as the human will consider this one a travesty.
- Another slow death
American Pie 2- Looks like some new plot elements, but after the pie
scene in the first, who cares? Teenagers, that's who..
- A definite sell-out show
Rush Hour 2- Looks funny, one that i might see with paying customers!
- Don't be short staffed for this one...

------------------
I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: