Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC Monthly Pass (Moviewatcher Premium)

Author Topic: AMC Monthly Pass (Moviewatcher Premium)
Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 01:48 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is this going to work with film rental? I can't believe the film companies are allowing this. $17.50 gets you up to one movie per day for a month?
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010608/0213_2.html

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 05:27 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a gamble on AMCs part. A lot of people will buy them but rarely use them. AMC will pay minimums on a per-capita attendence. The trick is enforcing the non-transferable aspect. I suppose a photo on the ID would do it, unless the person had a twin. Higher-tech IDs wouldn't be cost effective, but a digital camera image can easily be incorporated on a card.

Hopefully AMC will recognize the need for a security stock with a hologram or some such. Fake IDs with different photos could swamp the program unless there was a match-up photo on file and the cashier actually compared the two photos.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 05:08 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought a flat-rate deal would be a good thing for the customers (not sure about everyone else though.) There should be a way to let people see another movie that starts after the one they just saw too- legally of course, I've heard of people already doing this by sneaking in.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a deal would work well for me and other frequent moviegoers. There are only 2 chains in my area, so buying one for each chain would probably save me money since I see approximately one movie a week (and sometimes more). If there were more chains, it would not work as well since you'd have to buy one for each separate chain.

If I had this type of card, I believe I'd go to the theatres and watch more movies, though. Since January 1, 2001, I've seen 21 movies at the 5 theatres in my area, 12 at Regal theatres (3 of them) and 9 at Carmike theatres (2 of them). But this has been a slower year than normal for movies, so these numbers are lower than usual.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2001 07:09 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have these monthly passes in France and the public loves 'em! If the French can do it, why can't the Americans?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious: are there any restrictions on the AMC monthly pass? Like "no admission to opening weekends" or something like that? Or does it allow for truly unrestricted admissions to any film at any time at any AMC theatre?

James Keel
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 11:47 AM      Profile for James Keel   Email James Keel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...One movie a day is pretty much a restriction. I was on board with it until I heard that. So much for taking a lazy Sunday and seeing 3 movies. The Granada Theaters in Dallas have a monthly pass program, but it's umlimited. Yet, they only have 6 screens, so not much churn there.

I think the best pass program is to be an employee, or know one.

JK

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2001 08:22 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the film companies aren't too happy about this:

AMC in row for testing monthly movie pass plan

http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/18/amc.reut/index.html

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2001 09:20 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the defection from NATO to be the more interesting part of the story. The chances of a rollout nationwide of monthly tickets are nil, but the publicity it gives AMC is certainly good for its business and stock prices. In the unlikely event that the monthly ticket did roll out nationwide, it would mostly concern the majors. Small theatres in AMC markets have mostly been dead for a while now, so the argument of killing independents is somewhat of a red herring.

More interesting, I wonder if the defection from NATO was a result of the changes to the running of the trade shows, involvement of the Hollywood Reporter, and continued yammering of J.V.. These changes may be beginning to upset some exhibitors.

Based on what I see on the surface, I wonder if NATO is becoming less an advocate for theatre interests and more of a business in itself. There is huge money in the trade shows. I wish someone would write a no-holds-barred definitive history of the development of the industry trade organizations like NATO, TONE, etc., and the trade shows. It would be interesting to follow the money and see the skeletons exposed.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas City Star reported last week that Paramount refuses to participate in the AMC MovieWatcher Pass Because of this hardassed attitude Paramount would not give The Score to AMC in Oklahoma City and Omaha, the two cities where the passes are now being offered.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2001 02:52 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was actually very surprised to hear about this. i think this jump would involve more money to be placed into the technology to keep all member info organized and available to each theatre... i mean we still use numbered gift certificates on paper, when we could easaly use a credit card type gift certificate like many stores use.

as far as membership subscriptions go, you have to signup for at least 6 months. im sure the cost of subscription will soon go up... just like everything else.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2001 06:28 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update from today's Hollywood Reporter online edition:

Paramount has pulled all its product from AMC in Tulsa and Omaha for at least 6 months. Also, DreamWorks will not provide The Curse of the Jade Scorpion to AMC in those 2 cities.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See thread about More $10+ ticket prices. I included a link that talks about the Studios ideas regards AMC and the Monthly Pass.

Paul.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: