Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Senator Theater on TV 5/27

Author Topic: Senator Theater on TV 5/27
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those who know and love Baltimore's historic Senator Theater may want to catch CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow (5/27). There's a story about the history and current problems of this grand old place, with reminisces from John Waters and Tom Clancy, among others.

Best of all, the current owner is interviewed by the rewind bench upon which is placed a very conspicous bottle of Film-Guard. Nice product placement, Brad!

The story is slotted between 35 and 45 minutes from the start of the show. Check, as they say, your local listings.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-26-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is interesting, send me a videotape and I can convert it to Quicktime for download here on the site.

Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2001 09:43 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It told the story well. This is happeneing to the remaining great single screen theatres everywhere. The Senator and others like it, are proof that given a choice, movergoers will choose a theatre that gives you more then presentation. Most of the new megaplexes with stadium seating, digital sound and all the other so called amenities still pale when compared to a theatre that gives that old time theatrical environment. There is something special in those places that just can't be recreated in a multiscreen theatre. When you put state of the art equipment in a well kept movie palace, and provide a perfect presentation... no megaplex can come close to that moviegoing experience.

When the last of the "Senators" closes we will all be the poorer for it.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-27-2001 09:54 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the Senator Theatre will become a National Historic Site which should preserve the building for generations to come.
This should be done to many of the old Vaudville and the atmospheric theatre that were built in the early part of the 20th Century.
It takes a grass roots movement to make sure this happens.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2001 09:59 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Richard about the specialness of the old time theatrical environment.

Today's plexes just don't give me the same feeling. They don't cause me to leave my cares at the door like the old palaces, places where you feel/felt in awe of the size and grandeur of the theatre and where good presenation on the large screens make/made going to the movies such an adventure.

Plexes also don't give me the feeling that "the show begins at the sidewalk." With their often unimaginative architecture and interior design, and with loud teen filled video arcades thrown into the mix, my wife and I have found that they sometimes actually create stressful experiences for us. Granted, I've seen some very well done multi-screen cinemas but in general they just don't create the same soothing experience as the old palaces and single screen neighborhood theatres.

The Senator Theatre is one of my all-time favorite single screen movie houses. I've often said that if I could choose my own personal Heaven, I'd like to spend eternity at the Senator. I haven't been able to get there in the past few years due to distance and my work scedule but I remember that the showmanship was and probably still is excellent. Cartoons, shorts subjects like Judy Garland as Dorothy singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," the mere thought gives me goosebumps. The Senator Theatre is truly a classic and I'd rather see a movie there than anywhere else in Baltimore.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: