Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How's Pearl Harbor doing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How's Pearl Harbor doing?
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 01:58 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in how Pearl Harbor business is doing as the day and weekend roll along? Any reports or accounts from your theatres would be interesting. Above expectatations, below expectations, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-25-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will be "Kapoot" in 4 weeks.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 03:02 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Huntsville Times had quite a negative review of this movie. If people read reviews like this one, it will cause some to shy away and will hurt the attendance. I'll bet it will do great business this weekend, though. There's no doubt in my mind that showings of this will sell out tonight and tomorrow night, but it's the following weekends that will tell the real story.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 03:37 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting to see if seniors will come out to see "Pearl Harbor" like they did for "Saving Private Ryan". It was a culture shock just to see so many people in their "upper years" waiting in line to see a show.

I don't wish bad business on any movie, but it's also refreshing to hear that James Cameron may not have been such a bad writer after all, in comparison. Yes!!!

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had six pearl harbor survivers watch the first show today five out six came out at the end of the movie crying. One friend of mine said that brought back so many memories. They all liked the movie.

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 12:40 AM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my small corner of the world (at National Amusements in Centerville, Va.) Pearl opened on 4 screens starting at about 1115 with advance advertising of extra showtimes. The first 4 shows may have only 75 cars for all 4 shows total. The second set of 4 shows starting at 2:45 had about the same. I don't think there was more than 50 people in any show. The set of shows starting at 6:00 had more but they couldn't have been more than 30% full in any theatre. It ran just short of 3 hours, at 170 minutes, with no intermission, and had FIVE trailers. There were no lines at the two open ticket booths at 2:45 and only 2 or 3 people at the snack bar at any time. There were 6 open ticket booths at 6:00pm but no lines, nobody at the snack bar and the cashiers looked very bored (and this is a 12-plex). If it doesn't do better tonight and tomorrow it'll propably be in 2nd run houses within 2 or 3 weeks....

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 02:50 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, the critics bashed the hell out of this one, and it looks like people actually do pay attention to that. I originally thought that this one was going to open HUGE, but it looks like it'll be a 150-200 mil run (still not too shabby, but I was thinking more up to 300 mil). Not sure yet if it has legs...

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 02:53 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My area saw modest (at best) turnout for this film. Word of mouth from patrons was exactly what I predicted.. a overly saturated love story with a little historical fact thrown in for flavor... Ala.. Titanic, as several patrons pointed out.

Bay & Brukhiemer (sp) are NOT James Cameron and this is NOT Titanic. It better make it's money this wknd, that'll be all she wrote for this film, IMO.

WTF is wrong with directors/producers these days?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 11:21 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the studio wants to say "From the producer of Remember the Titans" the audience seems smart enough to remember this is "From the producer of Gone in 60 Seconds and Coyote Ugly." Perhaps, as the cultural pendulum goes, we've swung into an era of people who are sick of paying $7+ to see crap. And I'm not saying this movie is crap. I'm just saying that the fluff surrounding the "history" in this movie is.

Maybe this explains why the Hollywood writers didn't go on strike. They might have been afraid that the studios would go out and find good writers elsewhere in the world.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2001 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be opening reasonably strong here in DC...we have four shows (11, 3, 7, 11)

The latter three are sold out (the 7 show was almost sold out by 11am)..the first 11 show did well but not sell-out (sell out being 830 seats).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-26-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Saturday Update on www.boxofficeguru.com, PH took in $18.3 million on Friday.

According to the Thursday report, PH was scheduled to open in 3,214 theatres (not screens) which would put Friday's business at an average of 5,694 per theatre. Of course the real interesting thing would be to know how its doing per screen. For instance here in Sonoma County there are 13 prints in 7 theatres. So, if the average is true (which it doesn't, but mathematical lies are fun) those 7 theatres generated $39,858 from PH on Friday or an average of $3,066 per print.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2001 12:29 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're not doing what I expected either. Although I don't think it will hit second run houses for about another month, word of mouth won't carry it like Titanic. Love story is too hoeky and the scenes with John Voight as President Roosevelt are just short of laughable. I'm going with Paul's prediction of 4 weeks as well.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-27-2001 02:14 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What terms are you guys stuck with for PH? We have it for 9 weeks...6 at 2 mats/ 2 evenings.

...and two prints for the first 4 or 5.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-27-2001 02:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, they ran out of ideas. It shows with all the crap they send you via TES. Most of the movies are not worth the film they are printed on.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, and gals, audiences are liking this movie. We have been selling out all weekend long, and I have only noticed a few negative faces after the movie. The senior crowd (people that were alive when the attack took place) seem to enjoy it. The young girls will watch the hunks do anything, and the young men will go where ever the young girls are. This one will make its money back. Bye the way, I have Gone In 60 Seconds and I like that movie a lot. Sweet cars and Angelina, mmmm mmm good.

I think we tend to be very critical of flicks and thats cool. Remember, general public loves doing the opposite of what critics predict or tell them to. People hated traffic here, but it was supposed to be this "great" movie according to the critics. Same with crouching tiger. ITS ALL ABOUT MARKETING and they have promoted the hell out of Pearl Harbor. Personally I give it 3/10 stars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: