Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Saturday Business

Author Topic: Saturday Business
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just in my area, or is business just unusually slow this weekend? We have the annual Harley rally in town this wknd, so the people are here, yet they don't normally visit the local theatre unless there is continual rain, which there hasn't been.

Next week, starting say, Wed., we have another bike week coming up with more than triple the attendace of the Harley Rally we are hosting right now.

I'm looking at my lobby only to see that at 9:00pm, there are less than 12 people waiting to see an upcoming show.

Is it just us, the economy, or the features we have? BTW, I'm in my own territory and play all new openers.

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2001 03:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the only movie we have opened this May is Angel Eyes, and that's not doing anything. Attendance today was such, 120 for the 1's, 91 for the 3's and 4's, 26 for the 5's, and 191 for the 7's (wasn't around for the 8's). That is pathetic for us. On an 'OK' Saturday we should have 300 to 400 for the 1's, 400 to 500 for the 3's and 4's, and 600 to 700 for the 7's. I went to the Mummy Returns at the other theatre in town when I got off at 8 (well, actually I stopped at the bar first, and then went there ). They seemed to be doing decent business.

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2001 08:43 AM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Minneapolis area, I saw Shrek last night and the General Cinema was about 2/3 full, but is a 500-seater so pretty good turn-out. Yesterday afternoon was slower due to nice weather. I think a lot of kids will see this over the next few weeks so that will help spreading the business out. This is ANOTHER of those movies that is on at least two screens here every five miles or so. So I doubt there were "Sellouts" anywhere.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past Saturday had to be slow based on the weekend B.O.

I headed to the AMC Hamilton after I took my car through DMV inspection. I saw a 2:30 matinee of Eight Legged Freaks and there were about 25-30 total. The kid fare didn't even sell out!

On my way home I drove past the Reading Cinemas in Manville. I can gauge how busy it is by how many cars/minivans/SUVs are in the parking lot. I headed by around 5:15 and the parking lot wasn't half-full. That told me it was slow -- and they weren't even playing Road to Perdition.

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was slow this weekend. K-19 is not doing that well at our theater (demographics in my area don't support that type of movie, although I liked it). Stuart Little 2 is doing ok, but we sent a lot of people home this weekend because we weren't doing as well as we thought we would.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-22-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been going crazy trying to find employees to work all this week with as much business as we are doing, we are up in attendance about 75% from last year.

Must be the good art films!!!
-Although, are sub-run are doing good too...hmmmm, is this the death of first run??? j/k

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sun has come out in the Emerald City these past few days and put the screws to our business!
Our biggest films are MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING and AMELIE.
Wedding has been there for 16 plus weeks and Amelie since November. Go fiqure.
Saturday night no one showed up for the 9:30 show of NEVER AGAIN.
You might be right Rachel.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
I lived in Myrtle Beach for 6 months in 99' and I do remember the bike rallys. Our theater in Franklin TN has been doing well, we had a huge month with " YA YA Sisterhood " and all this summer we have made more money running free kids movies in the mornings than a lot of the evening shows. Last week K-19 was really slow but people seemed to like the movie. Thursday we opened with Goldmember and hope to do well this week. Since we sell beer and food at our little two screen theater we try to keep at least one comedy and action/drama on the screen.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend had a lot of heavily hyped product -- and Saturday business was slow! Blame the baseball playoffs (especially around here), NASCAR (a Saturday night race) and college football.

At the AMC Hamilton, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is in 2 of the giant-size halls yet did not sell out yesterday. Lost in Translation is doing better than expected; I took in a late matinee that drew ~60-70.

Reading Cinemas in Manville had a half-full parking lot in early evening on my way home. It doesn't help that they didn't open Intolerable Cruelty (from Universal) and thus had to open 2 prints of Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-12-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this? Once every 14 months Charles brings this thread up from the grave?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is this? Once every 14 months Charles brings this thread up from the grave?
quote:
Film-Tech Sneak Preview section for members with photos and at least 10 forum posts in the last 30 days.
That's why - obvious ! [Big Grin]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

This has been brought up on several occasions by various people. I've still never even figured out exactly what capacity Charles has in the industry, if any at all. The best I read into it, he works for a newspaper in Jersey or close to it.

I think he hangs out here to bring dead threads back to life.

By the way, our Saturday business this week was great! I think it was due to the rainy weather, not the fine films we have on screen now... [Eek!]

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... I'll jump in to say that we had very good business this weekend. Far better than the last several.
Heavily hyped film, and rainy weather.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: