Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Megastar Cinemas..Any impressions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Megastar Cinemas..Any impressions?
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megastar Cinemas is close to opening two multiplexes here in the Minneapolis area. Anyone have any impressions of them as far as operations or anything? I guess they have a few theatres already around but are fairly new.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2001 07:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do impressions...my speciality is the law.

(Airplane 2...The Sequel)

------------------
Children really brighten up your life...they never turn off lights.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 02:09 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hehehe...John, that's amazing! I saw the title of the thread and my first thought was to post, 'I'm sorry, I don't do impressions - I'm a projectionist', but you beat me to it!

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 04:06 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 10:26 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What equipment do you have there?

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet setup! Same as my last theatre, except Dolby CP-500 instead of 650 and AP platters instead of DMC. (I never could understand the point of the DMC system.) If you have any questions about the stuff, feel free to ask me.

Ken

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2001 02:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DMC...and now SCDC...is simple...they are always perfectly timed! They are smooth on payout too. The DMC had to be recalibrated from time to time...the SCDC...is SelfCalibrating.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I just came from a 1999-built Regal. That's why it's the same equipment. I know we are closing a lot of theatres, but what theatre that new did they close???

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 10:33 PM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 11:25 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OHHHHHH..... You mean it's the next generation AFTER the equipment that you used. I thought you meant that your equipment is second hand, from your last theater. My mistake.

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2001 12:34 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2001 02:59 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right about those SCDC platters Steve, we used AP's until quite recently, then we did a couple of jobs with the the DMC type. What great running piece of kit! The operators love them too, because there are fewer switches etc. Only problem we have is the MUT keeps blowing fuses, this I believe is caused by Strong and most other American manufacturers making their equipment rated for 220v, and not the 240v we have here in the UK. A lot of transformers don't like 50Hz either, so often we have to change them for locally made ones. After that, all is well. Not too keen on the Simplex Millenium, though. The picture stability is not great and they leak oil somthing terrible.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2001 07:04 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete,

It's been my experience that every Simplex will eventually leak. And you're right abut picture steadiness.

Ken

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: