Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Mummy Returns..any feedback (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mummy Returns..any feedback
Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 10:53 AM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Well, Mummy Returns had a great weekend. Does anyone have any stories of huge business at their theatres, slower than expected business, horror stories from the weekend, predictions on if it will stay strong, etc?

|  IP: Logged

John Keegan
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 11:16 AM      Profile for John Keegan   Email John Keegan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have "Mummy" on two screens at our Regal Cinemas. After a very strong weekend, the max patrons we are seeing is about 25 or so per house during the week. It may pick up for the weekend, but I don't think it's going to do as well as the first one did. One other little problem is that it is 2 hours and 25 minutes (with trailers and commercials) which we show at 10:45pm...It doesn't let out until after 1:00am which makes life a bit tough for me to get up the next morning at 5:30am. Wonder when we will go down to one print??

Jay L. Metcalf
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 10:45 PM      Profile for Jay L. Metcalf   Email Jay L. Metcalf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,
We actually had a great turn out for The Mummy Returns, however we only recieved one print. Well, knowing that this movie was going to be fairly successful, we made arrangements in our schedule to interlock this print in our two largest houses for the 7:00 showing on Friday and Saturday. WOW, that was not even close enough...we had to run the interlock all weekend long, even for our midnight shows, which have never yeilded much of a turn out.
I can't express how much we needed this revenue. What will be the next movie to make a smash at the box office? We are working on a huge Pearl Harbor Promo and also, hoping for a big turn out for Tomb Raider.

------------------
Jay L. Metcalf
General Manager
Carmike 10
Colorado Spgs, CO
[URL=http://www.carmike.com]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 11:18 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre I work at has 4 prints and we sceduled interlocks for two of them.
I was off the entire weekend for my graduation, but I was told that they had to interlock a 3rd print.
We are interlocking 3 prints this weekend also, which puts us at 7 screens.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-10-2001 01:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I ask why this movie is doing so well? I saw it a few weeks ago and I wasn't exactly blown away. Is it because there is nothing better to do? Is it because Freddy Got Fingered makes every other movie look like the best thing ever to hit a cinema?

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 03:16 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may ask, and I see you already did without permission

My impression is that The Mummy is doing well because people have been so starved for a good movie, and this was "supposed" to be that movie. In my theatre circuit, we are doing very well because of Mummy. Its a big concession movie and we are making around $2.50 or higher per person in concession. On its opening weekend, and I assume during the week as well, Mummy has accounted for 63% of all the revenue in the circuit.

Pearl Harbor was supposed to kick off the summer season according to the distributors, but it seems like Mummy came in and already did the kicking. IMHO, Mummy wasnt that great. It was alright (read: poor 3D design of The Rock Scorpion thing, poor diolouge) but really? 70 million dollars?

------------------
Jonathan Haglund
Edwards Theatre Circuit, Inc
Park Place 10

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 12:52 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sold out 7 of our 11 weekend shows on this (Friday 7:05, 10:05; Saturday 4:00; 7:05; 10:05; Sunday 1:05; 4:00). No interlocks here - against company policy. In the long run, it's gonna help the company. I have the only print within 30 miles, so if they're gonna see it, they're gonna see it here ... the later the better (lower rental percentage).

Jay L. Metcalf
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 12:52 AM      Profile for Jay L. Metcalf   Email Jay L. Metcalf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch!!! No one could have said it better, Joe. How did this "movie", Freddy end up on film. As a former projectionist, I was ashamed to show this on one of my screens. What the hell has cinema come to? I mean I hated the first Mummy and did not wish to see this sequel, but look at the trash that's been put out over the last year...
God, help us all.

------------------
Jay L. Metcalf
General Manager
Carmike 10
Colorado Spgs, CO
[URL=http://www.carmike.com]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-11-2001 11:31 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been a great 90 min. film, even with spectacular effects it runs out of gas half way thru.

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sold out quite a few shows of The Mummy last weekend. If tonight is any indication, it dropped off by more than half at my theatre tonight. Even though the business is starting to drop for The Mummy, all is not lost. We still have Shrek and Pearl Harbor this month.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 01:24 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as I predicted at my theatre.. Box gross dropped 40% tonight. I knew this film didn't have the "ummmph" to make it 3 weeks. If Pearl Harbor & Shrek dont' pull us out, nothing will...And to be honest, I'm not banking much on Shrek...

My bet is that , overall, this year will be pretty

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had every show sell out for the opening weekend, which has never happened. It was nuts but very orderly (only four refunds for the entire weekend!) This weekend is different, we only sold out the 7 pm showing friday night, ugh. It *really* dropped. And knights tale, oh man it was a mistake to get two prints, 4 people for the 10:50 showing?! eeesh.

John Keegan
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 11:23 AM      Profile for John Keegan   Email John Keegan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little update to my previous post about "Mummy" Well, The results are in and after seeing the numbers, I'm not surprised. Mummy did about half this weekend as what it did on opening weekend..Not surprising..We still have it on two screens which shocks me after seeing how this past weekend went. I'm sure now that we will be going down to one screen. Even the 7:00pm shows that we thought would sell out, didn't...Can anyone say FFZZzzzz..
And don't get me started on Knight's tale. Boy oh Boy...we got this on two screens too in our largest houses and we are lucky if the houses were HALF full, no sell outs at all...I overheard some viewers mention something about being too much like Gladiator...I haven't seen it yet and have no plans to even though I can watch it for free..There are other movies better to see..
As for Shrek, we are hoping more for the children audience, rather than the adult audience, so we will see... Pearl Harbor on the other hand is expected to make a killing...even though based on what I read is more fictionalized than anyone realizes..Why Is it that some of the biggest blockbusters are about topics which created the worst Tragedies??? Are we all that Morbid??

Sorry for all the rants...I'd be interested in anyone else's views... so Let's Hear It!

Scott Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 07:09 PM      Profile for Scott Madsen   Email Scott Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So from reading above, it sounds like the multiplexs are already running at less than capacity for this. Does that mean this is a another example of film rental terms ensuring that multiplexs will not receive any real profits out of this film? Wall Street people say not to buy stock in this industry because the economics do not yet work, and if this movie can do over 100 million this fast, and have this situation, then that sounds bad to me. Any thoughts?

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I was thinking this too, have you seen Disney's terms for running Pearl Harbor? Well for us it has to be in our two biggest auditoriums for 6 weeks (yes, six). That's insane. I don't even think Star Wars did that. Maybe 4 weeks max. That's going to take a real bite out of our other revenues since newer movies like Tomb Raider and such will have to be in much smaller auditoriums. Sheesh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: