Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre & managers prosecuted under "crack house" law

Author Topic: Theatre & managers prosecuted under "crack house" law
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 05:48 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't show many movies at the State Palace Theatre (formerly Loew's State) in New Orleans; it's now a combo performing arts/sometimes movies house.

They've got removable seats in the orchestra, & so have flexibility for a variety of different shows at the State Palace: big band shows, Good Morning America did a show from there, rock concerts, etc.

And my favorite use they've made of the theater: they have raves fairly regularly. I've gone down there a couple of times during the raves, & it was a great use & a great evening. (Hell yes, I'm too old to do anything but appreciate how well it's working.) Keeps the plaster bills paid, & makes the theater relevant to another generation of young people at the time of their lives when they go out for dancing & socializing in a large group: there were many big band shows at the Loew's back in the day.

Apparently, the DA in New Orleans has busted the managers & promoters of the raves at the State Palace under the federal "Crack House" law.

There's a page up about it at http://www.saveourmusic.com/

And a news story linked from there http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel043001.shtml

notes that one of the reasons they were busted was the presence of "drug paraphernalia" for sale:

"As proof that rave promoters know as much, U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan pointed to the presence at raves of "drug paraphernalia," such as bottled water, pacifiers, and glow-sticks. This is legally dubious, since "drug paraphernalia" is a term generally applied to items actually used for the consumption of drugs, like bongs or needles. Jordan's approach is like calling tie-dyed shirts "marijuana paraphernalia."

and

"Jordan claimed that the fact that bottled water sold at the Palace's concession stand was "overpriced" was proof that it was in fact drug paraphernalia."

Concessions being overpriced is proof that they're drug paraphernalia? Call your lawyer now & have him ready to come bail your ass out!

The article points out other large crowd events such as concerts attract lots of drug users - Willie Nelson concerts you bet, but I had to attend a Billy Joel large-venue concert that just reeked of marijuana more than any other I recall.

And so even though the theater had a posted & enforced zero tolerance policy toward on-premises drug use & selling -- violators weren't just ejected, they were turned over to the police -- the DA is trying to shut down the theater just because of the event itself.

It looks very familiar to me: another grandstanding local law guy, DA or sheriff, exploiting the always-rich vein of the generational hostility toward the young people & whatever their strange new loud music is today- public nuisance complaints against Alan Freed's rock & roll shows, jitterbuggy swing band package shows, early discos, music shows with large percentages of black attendees have *always* been PR meat for lawmakers to say "they attract troublemakers, underage drinking, drug & marijuana use, interracial dancing, rowdy & dangerous behavior", etc.

But this time, it's federal charges.

They could attend raves or concerts & arrest drug offenders if they just wanted to enforce drug laws. What's really being shut down here is the music event, the rave. And they're pressing federal charges against the theater's managers to do it.

Watch your ass. It's just amazing.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 10:04 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, I hope the people of New Orleans come together and oust Mr. Jordan, and to think this guy is a U.S. Attorney.

If glow sticks are drug paraphenilia, does this mean I should throw out that old strobe light stored in the basement or risk federal prosecution? Will I go to jail for DUI for drinking water? I think Mr. Jordan is out of control, in a town that promotes Mardis Gras, public intoxication and nudity, it is even harder to believe.

There is, has been, and will continue to be a drug problem in the U.S., maybe if the Government spent more time securing our borders and less time worried about a few hundred people attending a rave, they may actually get somewhere.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<"As proof that rave promoters know as much, U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan pointed to the presence at raves of "drug paraphernalia," such as bottled water, pacifiers, and glow-sticks.>>

water and glow sticks are difinitely not paraphernalia. Everyone drinks water and not everyone does drugs. I know a guy who doesn't do any drugs and plays with glowsticks all the time. Pacifiers can, however, be consideres paraphernalia since people do put drugs on them. Im not sure what drugs they are putting on there, but they can be soaked in anything that comes in liquid form, such as LSD.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fogot onw other thing.

Have you noticed that all the big publicity about raves and the drug culture started in the past year?

I've known about raves for about ten years now, went to my first one in 1996, and recently started going semi-regularly.

But it wasn't until now that the media has realized that teenegers are going to them and that some are doing drugs there. Doesn't it seem odd that the media only cares about teenagers who are involved in this sort of thing and not the adults?

I think the media is actually USING teenagers to get more attention to themselves and increase ratings because it seems as if nobody would care if it were only adults involved in all this

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-04-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't consider bottled water drug paraphernailia. But what could be getting there attention is the fact that the new dangerous drug exstacy requires that you drink large amounts of water. because it raises your body tempreture and causes dehydration.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 08:01 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are so screwed. Bottled water is one of our best sellers with the senior crowd at my theatre.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 02:43 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If something this broad works, I particularly worry for independents with midnight shows of "Rocky Horror" or "The Wall".

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 02:53 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<But what could be getting there attention is the fact that the new dangerous drug exstacy requires that you drink large amounts of water.>>

Actually ecstacy (MDMA) has been around for a LONG time and was legal until 1985.
Before this, marriage counselors used to prescribe it to their patients.
It was also a big part of the rave scene since the very beginning which as far as I know began in some American cities and in Europe in the mid to late 80s.
I first heard about them in Houston in 1992.

Also, from what I hear, ecstacy is actually one of the safest drugs out there, provided you get real ecstacy and not some pill that you have no idea from where it came. That and the fact that many inexperienced users forget to drink water when they are dancing is the cause of the deaths you hear so much about.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2001 03:40 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insanity, insanity, it is all insanity.

Re: US Attorney.... the "people" have no power whatsoever to remove this person no matter how abusive he is. They are appointed by the president, now an ultra-right bushchild.

Everybody, it seems, knows we have been losing the war on drugs for years, except the bureaucrats and bleeding hearts. My view, and that of my doctor friends, is that the SOLUTION is to legalize all the drugs.

But this is unlikely to happen. Too many fatcat bureaucrats, Feds, local police entities etc. etc ad nausueam are making a living out of this futile "war" and out of their own self-interest will keep it going.

Just imagine how the crime rate will drop if the drugs are legalized. Addicts wouldn't need to find vast sums of money to support their habit; therefore the underworld has lobbyists in congress watching to fight down any legalization attempts.

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2001 12:31 AM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People like that Jordan character need a LIFE. They are trying too hard... There are MUCH better ways to crack down on drug use than placing the blame on everything and everyone other than THEMSELVES for not doing a better enforcement job to begin with.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2001 06:25 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe S: It isn't the so-called "bleeding hearts" who endorse the war on drugs. It's the hard right, the Christian right, and the fascist elements within US politics.

The war on drugs is a way for the government to go after young people and non-whites. The Village Voice devoted part of its "cover story" package last week to the whole sorry mess.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2001 08:12 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The war on drugs is a way for the government to go after young people and non-whites"

Horse shit

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2001 11:23 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... Legalizing everything will eliminate crime.. We should have thought of this before!

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2001 11:21 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how much damage is someone doing to society by lighfing up a joint and clearing lines in their own home?
Who are they hurting really?
I bet youll tell me the tax payers since they all end up in the hospital and none of them have insurance so we get to pay for it right?
They only hurt themselves.
So why isnt alcohol illegal?
Isnt that also a drug?
And isnt it also well known to cause problems within the family and at work?

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2001 08:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Let's get them all and put them in jail for the sake of our children."

The age old cry of the oppressor.

And bottled water, well, I know it sells well in Davis. Does that make everyone in Davis a drug addict? Or could it be because the tap water tastes like it was dredged out of a polluted river?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: